Atrix HD & Straight Talk

Search This thread

dreamliner330

Jan 16, 2010
I've had it with Sprint. Slow Internet, incompetent phone staff. I currently have the Motorola Photon on Sprint and am very happy with signal strength, call quality, battery life and reliability, which are the most important to me.

I did some research and and decided to go with an AT&T phone with Straight Talk AT&T Sim card.

I was going to wait for the iPhone 5 announcement, but I already know I won't pay $800+ for it out of contract and I dislike the move away from Google services.

I got my Atrix HD yesterday and my Straight Talk SIM today...(Otterbox Commuter too).

I set it up with all the Straight Talk APN settings and was happy with voice, but data was a bit clunky and the Speed Test & YouTube apps were not working.

I modified the APN settings:
To: PROXY: 66.209.11.33

Result:
STspeed1.png

Coming from Sprint where I was getting 3-8mbps on "4G" and 200-600kbps on 3G I am EXTREMELY pleased.

It seems the ATRIX HD has a less noise cancelling than my Photon as even moving my hand around on the phone can by heard by the caller.

I tried, really tried to use the stock apps (Homescreen, Dialer, Messaging)...I lasted 2 hours. I went to Nova, Dialer One & Handcent.

I hope activity picks up on the forum and I'm sure I'll be posting regularly...for awhile at least.

Reactions: warparrot

dreamliner330

Jan 16, 2010
Just an update...

I was having trouble sending MMS and I called Straight Talk. They took their time 'checking' my account and had me read through the APN settings. I mis-typed a word and MMS was fixed after correcting it.

After I finished the phone call with Straight Talk, I noticed soon after my data speeds took a DUMP! I can't get the SpeedTest app to work, I cant send pictures in gmail & Facebook barely works. Google Navigation quit on me too!

The apps, like navigation will start loading data, then simply stall.

Web browsing however, works fine while the apps are not, sometimes its really slow.

I called Straight Talk again and asked if they changed anything and they said no. I asked if they block applications and they said no. They did say I was only guaranteed 'web browsing' and suggested the mobile websites instead of the app...it seriously seems as if something is being blocked.

I can't deal with apps not working. I barely 'browse' the web. I use gmail, Facebook, and occasional navigation. These MUST work 100% and they are not.

Unless I get a definitive answer and quick, I'm hopping onto a Share Everything Verizon Plan. It'll be $65 for 4GB...its $20 more, but I'm sure all the apps will work. :rolleyes:

zmk76

Jul 23, 2009
Im on straight talk too and no problems. Over at howard forums there is a theory that if your ip address starts 10.1 you are being throttled and if it starts 10.2 you are not, so power down your phone and remove sim for 30 seconds and keep trying until you get a different ip address that isnt throttled. I can confirm that mine currently starts with 10.2 and no throttle, the rest is all speculation.

Sent from my MB886 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: tork0112

jonathan3579

Mar 12, 2010
Houston
I do not have the Atrix HD however I have some insight on something that may work for your data issues. Try removing the proxy entirely and reboot. Let me know how it works out for you. ;)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

dreamliner330

Jan 16, 2010
I do not have the Atrix HD however I have some insight on something that may work for your data issues. Try removing the proxy entirely and reboot. Let me know how it works out for you. ;)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium
I tried that and all data failed.

I'm on Verizon now with a RAZR MAXX...pretty sure my issues are gone. :cowboy:

overlord727

Jul 18, 2011
Columbia, MD
How did everyone go about unlocking it? I just got my unlock code and tried the various methods on Cellunlocker. The IMEI is correct. Did you guys just put the sim card in? I don't have a different sim card right now so its powered on with no sim card in with wifi and airplane mode off.

ranfot

Nov 14, 2010
How did everyone go about unlocking it? I just got my unlock code and tried the various methods on Cellunlocker. The IMEI is correct. Did you guys just put the sim card in? I don't have a different sim card right now so its powered on with no sim card in with wifi and airplane mode off.

I didn't have to unlock the phone at all. They support unlocked A&TT and T-mobile phones. They will send you a sim card that will work in unlocked mode. I just inserted it, adjusted APN settings and everything started working. I even receive a message: "welcome to at@t"

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

as far as the data goes with StraigntTalk, it's unreliable. IMHO any carrier who leases the lines from any major carrier cannot offer "unlimited" data. so obviously you are given leftovers of the bandwidth and throttled heavily.

I am using this service for two weeks and its ok. it works for now. lets see how it works in a month or so.

overlord727

Jul 18, 2011
Columbia, MD
Ahh ok gotcha. Also I was planning on unlocking this for use on T-Mobile but with an actual T-Mobile micro sim. I forgot that straight talk would automatically work without having to sim unlock.

Aug 4, 2008
I need some help here also. I thought it was better to jump on his thread than starting my own. I have net10 with an atrix hd. I have tried every apn setting I can find on the net. I have even tried combinations of settings. Here are my problems.

#1 No mms
#2 I have data issues. My browser, apps, etc. will act like I do not have a data connection. Once I reload it will work. For example, my browser may work fine, or I may have to hit refresh 5 times on every link or site I go to. My speeds are fine once it starts transferring data, and it will continue transferiing once it starts, I just have to keep retrying the app or browser to make it start the transfer.

I have read something about at&t mvno data issues, I assume that is what I am running into. I am using the wap.tracfone apn. The at&t settings will not work at all with or without proxy. My next step is unlocking the phone and jumping over to net10 on the t-mobile side. My other option is to just buy a T-mobile phone and pop the other net10 sim in. Any input on this would be appreciated. I just want this to work, it is much cheaper! What course of action should I take? I want to cancel my sprint phone, I obviously can't until this is resolved.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me. I have been using xda to solve all my problems for years, I have never had to ask a question before. I hope this isn't answered somewhere before that I missed in a search.....

bandes33

Dec 19, 2012
I need some help here also. I thought it was better to jump on his thread than starting my own. I have net10 with an atrix hd. I have tried every apn setting I can find on the net. I have even tried combinations of settings. Here are my problems.

#1 No mms
#2 I have data issues. My browser, apps, etc. will act like I do not have a data connection. Once I reload it will work. For example, my browser may work fine, or I may have to hit refresh 5 times on every link or site I go to. My speeds are fine once it starts transferring data, and it will continue transferiing once it starts, I just have to keep retrying the app or browser to make it start the transfer.

I have read something about at&t mvno data issues, I assume that is what I am running into. I am using the wap.tracfone apn. The at&t settings will not work at all with or without proxy. My next step is unlocking the phone and jumping over to net10 on the t-mobile side. My other option is to just buy a T-mobile phone and pop the other net10 sim in. Any input on this would be appreciated. I just want this to work, it is much cheaper! What course of action should I take? I want to cancel my sprint phone, I obviously can't until this is resolved.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me. I have been using xda to solve all my problems for years, I have never had to ask a question before. I hope this isn't answered somewhere before that I missed in a search.....

just use these settings in the screenshots

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-12-19-09-04-39.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-12-19-09-04-39.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 648
  • Screenshot_2012-12-19-09-04-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-12-19-09-04-55.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 602
  • Screenshot_2012-12-19-09-05-13.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-12-19-09-05-13.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 566

318ant

Oct 20, 2012

#1 No mms

ST N10 are same I'm on net10 with ST apn

Aug 4, 2008
I tried the other apn settings without any luck. Those entirely stopped data. I did buy sqlite and erased the at&t apn settings. That made mms work. I still had the internet issue. I paid for an unlock, for whatever reason they responded that they couldn't get my unlock code and refunded my money. I bought a galaxy note today, and have the same data issue. It must be something with the towers in my area. I paid a local company for an unlock code ($20) which I will receive tomorrow morning. I will put this phone on T-Mobile towers and be done with it. (I know I have to flash a new radio for 4g). Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate your time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda app-developers app

Aug 4, 2008
I thought I should update. I got my new phone unlocked and switched over to net10 on the T-Mobile side. It works great, data speeds are good and so is the consistency. Mms is working without any of the headache. It appears that my data issues were based on at&t in my area. I assume they aren't giving mvno's priority....

Aug 4, 2008
Who knows.... I went from a very "refreshing" experiance on the at&t side at 3mbps download to a perfect experiance at 12mbps download on the T-Mobile side. I would post a link talking about it, but I haven't posted enough on xda to be allowed to publish links.

"Howard forums straight talk at&t data issues" should get you there if you choose to look.

xXckkillerXx

Apr 28, 2012
Raleigh
www.youtube.com
I have the atrix hd on ST and it works perfect i get 5-10mbs down 4g!

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

delete mms proxy and apn proxy from your apn settings.

blackiceboi

Oct 10, 2012
Thanks for the screenshots data speeds significantly improved

DasUberKraut

Jan 2, 2013
I didn't have to unlock the phone at all. They support unlocked A&TT and T-mobile phones. They will send you a sim card that will work in unlocked mode. I just inserted it, adjusted APN settings and everything started working. I even receive a message: "welcome to at@t"

Seriously? I can run my AT&T Atrix HD on Straight Talk without having to pay for a Subsidy code?

Also I keep seeing people say they have Straight Talk SIMS from different carriers. I though they was only one source? Which one works the best for the Atrix HD and how do I go about getting it? I was planning on buying a SIM this Friday.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

#1 No mms

just use these settings in the screenshots
    I've had it with Sprint. Slow Internet, incompetent phone staff. I currently have the Motorola Photon on Sprint and am very happy with signal strength, call quality, battery life and reliability, which are the most important to me.

I did some research and and decided to go with an AT&T phone with Straight Talk AT&T Sim card.

I was going to wait for the iPhone 5 announcement, but I already know I won't pay $800+ for it out of contract and I dislike the move away from Google services.

I got my Atrix HD yesterday and my Straight Talk SIM today...(Otterbox Commuter too).

I set it up with all the Straight Talk APN settings and was happy with voice, but data was a bit clunky and the Speed Test & YouTube apps were not working.

I modified the APN settings:
    To: PROXY: 66.209.11.33

Result:
    STspeed1.png

Coming from Sprint where I was getting 3-8mbps on "4G" and 200-600kbps on 3G I am EXTREMELY pleased.

It seems the ATRIX HD has a less noise cancelling than my Photon as even moving my hand around on the phone can by heard by the caller.

I tried, really tried to use the stock apps (Homescreen, Dialer, Messaging)...I lasted 2 hours. I went to Nova, Dialer One & Handcent.

I hope activity picks up on the forum and I'm sure I'll be posting regularly...for awhile at least.
    Im on straight talk too and no problems. Over at howard forums there is a theory that if your ip address starts 10.1 you are being throttled and if it starts 10.2 you are not, so power down your phone and remove sim for 30 seconds and keep trying until you get a different ip address that isnt throttled. I can confirm that mine currently starts with 10.2 and no throttle, the rest is all speculation.

Is there any way to kill the ATT address book? I can't disable it or turn it off because it fails every time.

Yes, you can put to sleep from setting, app, click the app that you don want and select the option.

or if you are rooted with any root uninstaller.

They are saying that if you remove it you are not able to get OTA...

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

So if i would have to unlock my atrix hd to use for straighttalk? Because i was trying to buy a sim card and they only offer me T-Mobile

Nexus 4 running Pacman

If you dont want to unlock it tehre is still ST sim card around (high price of course) that use ATT network....with a T-MOBILE sim card yes you have to unlock your phone.
    So if i would have to unlock my atrix hd to use for straighttalk? Because i was trying to buy a sim card and they only offer me T-Mobile

Nexus 4 running Pacman

I got my AT&T sim about 2 months ago. Try getting one off of Walmart.com straight talks website already showed only t-mo sims but Walmart.com still had AT&T ones available.

Sent from my Golden'd Atrix HD MAXX using xda app-developers app