[Q] USB Mass Storage not working?

Search This thread

D33KK

Sep 20, 2009
Hi, when I had my SGS3 I was able to plug it into my TV via USB and explore the phones files (helpful to play movies ect without having to transfer it to laptop via USB then to a portable USB pen drive).

However when I plug my Nexus in, it doesn't see it at all so can't go through the files with the file browser.

I noticed when I open 'my computer' this appears - (see screenshot)

My old SGS3 just came up directly with internal storage rather than showing the phone model first, is this related to the issue?

Cheers!

Attachments

• xsda.png
    xsda.png
    204 KB · Views: 11,177

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
Hi, when I had my SGS3 I was able to plug it into my TV via USB and explore the phones files (helpful to play movies ect without having to transfer it to laptop via USB then to a portable USB pen drive).

However when I plug my Nexus in, it doesn't see it at all so can't go through the files with the file browser.

My old SGS3 just came up directly with internal storage rather than showing the phone model first, is this related to the issue?

Cheers!

the Nexus 5 does not mount USB storage by default.

You must either:

1) Buy Nexus 5 media importer (non-root)
2) Use USB OTG Helper or Stickmount from play (Free but requires root)
3) Use a custom kernel (such as Chaos) to enable Automount of OTG

Reactions: D33KK

D33KK

Sep 20, 2009
Excellent answer, thanks

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

matt_not_andrew

Dec 7, 2004
This was one of the annoying things I've found with the Nexus 5. Not sure if the rest of the Nexus line is the same but I can't see why the Nexus 5 doesn't have full USB OTG support like a lot of other phones out there. My S3 and Toshiba Excite 10 but support full OTG but why not the flagship Google device?

That said, my Toshiba supports micro HDMI whereas both the S3 and Nexus use MHL and Slimport respectively. I know this is probably due to space constraints to fit two ports on a phone but its still annoying that you need yet another cable to hook up your phone to a TV without any lag like miracast.

D33KK

Sep 20, 2009
Indeed it's annoying..

I actually tried the first two options of rootSU's answer however it didn't mount (which is strange as I am on stock ROM)

I will try the kernel tomorrow

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Indeed it's annoying..

I actually tried the first two options of rootSU's answer however it didn't mount (which is strange as I am on stock ROM)

I will try the kernel tomorrow

1) what is the usb stick formatted to? Anything other than fat32 will fail
2) whats the error? With stickmount, it just mounts it to a folder on /sdcard. Nothing happens visually

Kernel is best option though

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

Alex240188

May 4, 2010
Hull
I think you are missing what the op is wanting to do.
What you are describing is allowing the phone to access an external device.
The op wants his external device (TV) to access his phones storage.
Unfortunately this is not possible unless your TV supports the mtp protocol which it looks like it doesn't.
Starting in android 4.0 Google moved away from a physical fat32 sdcard partition and went with a scalable fused ext4 sdcard Mount.
This required a new interface because the new style cannot be mounted as a USB mass storage device.
Thus came mtp. (Media transfer protocol)
Using the fused system is much more beneficial in android (I won't go into the reasons now) but it means you cannot use the device with anything that doesn't support mtp access

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Unfortunately this is not possible unless your TV supports the mtp protocol which it looks like it doesn't.
Starting in android 4.0 Google moved away from a physical fat32 sdcard partition and went with a scalable fused ext4 sdcard Mount.
This required a new interface because the new style cannot be mounted as a USB mass storage device.
Using the fused system is much more beneficial in android (I won't go into the reasons now) but it means you cannot use the device with anything that doesn't support mtp access

Oh yes I am missing that.

FYI, sgs3 is an mtp only device

-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

I do NOT reply to support queries over PM. Please keep support queries to the Q&A section, so that others may benefit

D33KK

Sep 20, 2009
Yes you get it. Didn't the s3 ship with jelly bean though?

danarama

Aug 22, 2010

No. It shipped with ICS 4.0.x but it always had FUSE and MTP. S2 is a different story though.

S3 could mount external sd as mass storage if rooted but not internal (more info here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448070 )
-----------------------
Sent via tapatalk.

gulrezm

Jul 30, 2009
question about usb mass storage

Not really a computer guy myself but i take it that a lot of people have said the same thing: the n5 and n4 both did not allow the phones to be used as mass storage devices. This was very annoying to me as I just bought my n5 and wanted to transfer my music onto the phone. I don't see the point in this change nor do I see it as a 'step forward'.

What is interesting is that my friend in Canada who also owns a nexus 5 has no problems using her n5 as a mass storage device. I did not believe her so she sent me a screenshot of her storage options which indeed allows her to use the phone as a mass storage device. Is her n5 manufactured completely differently from mine??

Attachments

• IMG-20140401-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20140401-WA0009.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 68

GUGUITOMTG4

Oct 26, 2011
GuGuPlace
Not really a computer guy myself but i take it that a lot of people have said the same thing: the n5 and n4 both did not allow the phones to be used as mass storage devices. This was very annoying to me as I just bought my n5 and wanted to transfer my music onto the phone. I don't see the point in this change nor do I see it as a 'step forward'.

What is interesting is that my friend in Canada who also owns a nexus 5 has no problems using her n5 as a mass storage device. I did not believe her so she sent me a screenshot of her storage options which indeed allows her to use the phone as a mass storage device. Is her n5 manufactured completely differently from mine??

you just need to enable MTP on the notification bar and will be able to transfer files like music.
make sure that Nexus 5 shows under "Computer" directory. If it doesn't, need to reinstall the driver

Last edited:

aramil

Jan 7, 2012
Worcester
I did not believe her so she sent me a screenshot of her storage options which indeed allows her to use the phone as a mass storage device.

That menu allows you to switch between Media MTP & Camera PTP and not Mass storage.

In MTP you should see the N5 as a media device and drag and drop to it in explorer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Cheers!

the Nexus 5 does not mount USB storage by default.

You must either:

1) Buy Nexus 5 media importer (non-root)
    2) Use USB OTG Helper or Stickmount from play (Free but requires root)
    3) Use a custom kernel (such as Chaos) to enable Automount of OTG

No. It shipped with ICS 4.0.x but it always had FUSE and MTP. S2 is a different story though.

S3 could mount external sd as mass storage if rooted but not internal (more info here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448070 )
    -----------------------
    Sent via tapatalk.