update on stock rooted

Search This thread

dbenney

Jan 17, 2012
I am on stock rooted MK2 with TWRP recovery installed. I woke up this morning to see that my phone had automatically downloaded the new system sfotware(i assume 4.4.2). The notification cant be removed from the notification bar and just says click to install. i dont want 4.4.2. My wife updated her s4 and it caused all sorts of minor issues with it. She was not rooted however. How can I get rid of the downloaded update and the notification? Also, is there a setting I can change so it wont try to automatically download updates in the future?

thanks

0Gravity

Jan 6, 2009
I am on stock rooted MK2 with TWRP recovery installed. I woke up this morning to see that my phone had automatically downloaded the new system sfotware(i assume 4.4.2). The notification cant be removed from the notification bar and just says click to install. i dont want 4.4.2. My wife updated her s4 and it caused all sorts of minor issues with it. She was not rooted however. How can I get rid of the downloaded update and the notification? Also, is there a setting I can change so it wont try to automatically download updates in the future?

thanks
Im sure I will be needing the same information as I am still on 4.3 and want to stay here also, I can tell you I had the same thing with my Galaxy S2 and I remember I had to do something in Titanium backup to stop the update process, but I cant remember the exact steps.
I will be watching this thread closely, Thanks for asking the question!

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
Search fellas. On the notification . press and hold it. Then you should get a popup of "app info" select it and uncheck "show notification". This will get rid of the annoying update notifications. You can also delete the file from system although I am forgetting right now where.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

frukyyy

Nov 8, 2008
NYC
Search fellas. On the notification . press and hold it. Then you should get a popup of "app info" select it and uncheck "show notification". This will get rid of the annoying update notifications. You can also delete the file from system although I am forgetting right now where.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Did that and deleted the file! It downloads it back and the notifications resurrects again.
I froze Configupdater, Sprint Installer, System Update
Disabled System Update on start up.
Dunno what else can stop this OTA notification!!
For me it's even more dangerous because I have the 720T running sacs for 720, hence the update that the system is trying to intsall is the NAE not NAF.

To be on safe side I'm thinking unroot and get to stock MK5 then upgrade to NAF then flash sacs again. This way the update notification will go away. Tedious but thats the only way I think I can get rid of this annoying notification.
Any thoughts?? Keep in mind I'm on 720T :)

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4 XL
Did that and deleted the file! It downloads it back and the notifications resurrects again.
I froze Configupdater, Sprint Installer, System Update
Disabled System Update on start up.
Dunno what else can stop this OTA notification!!
For me it's even more dangerous because I have the 720T running sacs for 720, hence the update that the system is trying to intsall is the NAE not NAF.

To be on safe side I'm thinking unroot and get to stock MK5 then upgrade to NAF then flash sacs again. This way the update notification will go away. Tedious but thats the only way I think I can get rid of this annoying notification.
Any thoughts?? Keep in mind I'm on 720T :)

interesting... I had recently ODIN'd back to stock and saferoot'd before calling it a day and woke up in the morning to an update. I also know that the update only downloads if you're on wi-fi. I know before I ODIN'd I was already saferoot'd with a whole bunch of crapware "frozen" by TiBackup and I never got the update. not exactly sure which crapware I froze, but I did it again this time around and I still haven't seen an update message for the past week. below is a list of what I froze... if you have the time to weed out the exact crapware needed to disable the update, please let me know! would be nice to uninstall the crapware that wont affect the update from happening while cleaning up the rest of the crapware.

1Weather
ANT HAL Service
ANT Radio Service
ANT+ Plugins
BaconReader
BlurbCheckout
Bubbles
CBS Sports
com.sec.enterprise.knox.attestation
com.sec.knox.eventsmanager
eBay
EpsonPrintService
Flipboard
Google Play Books
Google Play Games
Google Play Magazines
Google Play Movies & TV
Google Play Music
Group Play
HP Print Service Plugin
KLMS Agent
KNOX
KNOX Store
Lookout Security
Lumen Toolbar
Messaging+
Mobeam Service Application
Mobile Print
MobilePrintSvc_CUPS
MobilePrintSvc_CUPS_Backend
Phase Beam
Samsung Apps Widget
Samsung Books
Samsung Games
Samsung Hub
Samsung Music
Samsung Print Service
Samsung Video
Samsung WatchON
Samsung WatchON Video
SamsungHub Updater
Share music
Share video
Smart Device Manager
SNS
Sprint - Discover Apps
Sprint Music Plus
Sprint TV & Movies
Story Album
Story Album Widget
TalkBack
Weather Widget
Yahoo! Finance
Yahoo! News

Last edited:

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4 XL
looks like the inevitable just happened... with all the above items turned off/frozen, I still got the OTA download last night! I'm rooted with the hotspot mod and despite all of that, the OTA still came through. the update is located in /cache.

frukyyy

Nov 8, 2008
NYC
looks like the inevitable just happened... with all the above items turned off/frozen, I still got the OTA download last night! I'm rooted with the hotspot mod and despite all of that, the OTA still came through. the update is located in /cache.

Indeed! I gave up on OTA block. The only way I can think of if you stop all framework notifications, but I dont want to do that. Got to NAF and CF rooted. Waiting for stable KK before trying it on 720T. I don't care for sparks.

0Gravity

Jan 6, 2009
As of last night I hadn't received the OTA update yet, so I decided to try to fend it off buy freezing the system update in titanium backup... I swear I'm at 10 minutes went by and I can I receive the OTA notification! So now it looks like I'm in the same boat right next to you...lol

As I said earlier back in my S2 days I remember having to freeze the "System Update" with Titanium, but I think I also remember having to boot into recovery and Wipe a cache or something, because something is placed in the cache that looks to see if the update was downloaded and installed, and if not just keeps downloading until it is. So the steps that I do remember are;
1) Freeze system update with titanium.
2) Delete downloaded system files (I'm not sure where they are located, so please help me out with this one)
3) Boot into recovery and wipe a cache or two (I can't recall if it was one or more then one, and/or which one) so maybe someone could help with that?

I am going to do some searching for the S2 instructions to see if I can find them, maybe they will help with this.... Not sure if the update process is still the same though.

dimm0k

Jan 25, 2014
Google Pixel 4 XL
As of last night I hadn't received the OTA update yet, so I decided to try to fend it off buy freezing the system update in titanium backup... I swear I'm at 10 minutes went by and I can I receive the OTA notification! So now it looks like I'm in the same boat right next to you...lol

As I said earlier back in my S2 days I remember having to freeze the "System Update" with Titanium, but I think I also remember having to boot into recovery and Wipe a cache or something, because something is placed in the cache that looks to see if the update was downloaded and installed, and if not just keeps downloading until it is. So the steps that I do remember are;
2) Delete downloaded system files (I'm not sure where they are located, so please help me out with this one)
3) Boot into recovery and wipe a cache or two (I can't recall if it was one or more then one, and/or which one) so maybe someone could help with that?

I am going to do some searching for the S2 instructions to see if I can find them, maybe they will help with this.... Not sure if the update process is still the same though.

as I stated in my last post, the downloaded update file is located in /cache. for the time being I've deleted that file and created a zero-byte file with the same name and its permissions set to read only. not sure what's going to happen if I try to update with an empty file or if I reboot, but I have it this way to hopefukky assure me that if I accidentally press update that it won't update successfully. I doubt cleaning up the OTA downloads will prevent it from downloading again unless you can somehow fake your version number.

0Gravity

Jan 6, 2009
as I stated in my last post, the downloaded update file is located in /cache. for the time being I've deleted that file and created a zero-byte file with the same name and its permissions set to read only. not sure what's going to happen if I try to update with an empty file or if I reboot, but I have it this way to hopefukky assure me that if I accidentally press update that it won't update successfully. I doubt cleaning up the OTA downloads will prevent it from downloading again unless you can somehow fake your version number.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea! But I can't believe there isn't a fix for this out there though. In my research I found a file for the S2 called fota-killer, you would think something like that wild be available for the S4.

0Gravity

Jan 6, 2009

OK I tried the fotakill.apk method and so far I have not received the notification like I was eveytime I rebooted earlier go to here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30205683&postcount=1 for the instructions I used and a link to the file.... I used the manual method rather then installing the zip thru recovery because they said the zip method is device specific..... I'll stop back in a couple days to update how it's working or b4 that if it doesn't!

Reactions: dimm0k

0Gravity

Jan 6, 2009
OK I tried the fotakill.apk method and so far I have not received the notification like I was eveytime I rebooted earlier go to here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=30205683&postcount=1 for the instructions I used and a link to the file.... I used the manual method rather then installing the zip thru recovery because they said the zip method is device specific..... I'll stop back in a couple days to update how it's working or b4 that if it doesn't!

24 hours and still no update message!

Reactions: frukyyy

0Gravity

Jan 6, 2009
OK it's been 4 or do days and this fix worked for me, we have not heard anything from the thread starter so I assume he has also fixed his, thanks for the help guys!

Reactions: frukyyy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

24 hours and still no update message!
    OK it's been 4 or do days and this fix worked for me, we have not heard anything from the thread starter so I assume he has also fixed his, thanks for the help guys!