Fingerprint scanner and Security on Galaxy S5

Search This thread

sw6lee

Apr 20, 2011
Hi everyone,

I just have a quick question about the security of Galaxy S5. There is a fingerprint scanner, so it's supposed to be more secure, but I'm wondering..if someone who's knowledgeable about rooting, etc steals your S5, and just boot into recovery, and wipe/factory reset, won't the fingerprint scanner be reseted as well? Just like a new phone?

Or did samsung do something about this?

Thanks!

nizbot

Oct 4, 2010
If someone factory resets your phone, what exactly are you worried about them having access to in this scenario?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using xda app-developers app

sw6lee

Apr 20, 2011
If someone factory resets your phone, what exactly are you worried about them having access to in this scenario?

well, if they can't unlock the phone at all, then they can't even use the phone they stole. So there is a higher chance for them to return it if they negotiate. But if they can just erase everything, obviously this guy will not return this device, because he can setup his own fingerprint password, and use it.

nizbot

Oct 4, 2010
If someone steals my phone, if I can't remotely wipe it, I sure hope they do.

If you're that concerned about it, put a reward if found message on the lock screen. The fingerprint scanner will not save you in this scenario.

nicetucu

Mar 10, 2014
Salem, Oregon
I believe the S5 has a hardware lock/wipe feature embedded into the phone itself. The carrier can wipe it and turn it into a brick.

It's one way to stop theft until someone finds a way to get around this. I doubt they will though.