[GUIDE] Guide to Unrooting and S-ON’ing the HTC Wildfire to fix errors [170] / [171]

How well did it go?

• My phone died a good phone :(

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Didn't work

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Lots of errors

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Minor errors

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • It worked, what can I say?

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Worked awesomely (if there's such a word)

Votes: 9 29.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

usaff22

Nov 8, 2011
Unfortunately, Maps has stopped.
Guide to Unrooting and S-ON’ing the HTC Wildfire to fix errors [170] / [171]​

Hi everyone,

This is a guide I made through my experience of Unrooting and S-ON'ing the HTC Wildfire. This also works for people who have tried multiple times and still have the ERROR [170] or ERROR [171] USB CONNECTION ERROR. I had this error and used these steps to fix it. :)

*** I do not take any responsibility if your phone fries or explodes during the process. No, seriously I don't take any responsibility if your phone gets bricked. This worked for many people, including me ***

1. Uninstall Android SDK from Control Panel (Start>Programs>Uninstall a Program).

2. Uninstall hacked HBOOT drivers (Start>Device Manager – Right Click on the driver and click “Uninstall”

3. Uninstall HTC Sync and all drivers that came with it.

4. Download CCleaner here.

5. Run CCleaner and do a full scan.

6. Do a full registry scan after backing up the registry.

7. Re-install HTC Sync.

8. Reboot your computer. (Do not skip this step)

9. Connect your phone to the computer via “Charge Only”.

10. Disconnect from the internet so that Windows Update won’t try and install the driver software all over again.

11. Enable USB Debugging on your phone (Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging).

12. Start the RUU and go through the steps. The device should reboot and come up with the HTC logo and a progress bar until its completion.

Your phone has only now restored to the stock ROM and has been unrooted. The device still has the bootloader unlocked. In the next steps we will restore the phone back to an S-ON state. This is for people who used to have HBOOT 1.01.001. If you had 1.01.002, you should restore from a pre-rooted nandroid Backup​

1. Download the "fastboot" files below
2. Extract the zip to C:\fastboot.

3. Click Start and type "cmd" and then enter (obviously)

4. In cmd type cd\ (backward slash after cd, not forward slash)

5. Type cd fastboot. You should now be in the directory C:\fastboot

6. Type the following into cmd:

C:\fastboot>fastboot oem mb 9C068490 1 30

and then enter.

It should say:
...OKAY

7. Then type

C:\fastboot>fastboot flash hboot hboot_buzz_7225_1.01.0001.nb0

and then enter.

It should say:
sending 'hboot' (512 KB)... OKAY
writing 'hboot'... OKAY

8. Reboot into the bootloader. It should say BUZZ PVT SHIP S-ON and the HBOOT version should be 1.01.001.

You have successfully reverted your phone back to stock settings and the stock ROM!

Thanks to the following people:

• DeCex for making the tutorial " S-ON again after AlphaRevx instructions" - it helped me alot
  • Vinsanity93 on the Android Forums for making the thread "RUU error 170 & 171 solution for Windows 7"

Attachments

• fastboot.zip
    561.6 KB · Views: 1,573
Last edited:

jakeohancock

Feb 27, 2012
i just installed htc sync like it said? but the thing is... i havent a clue what an RUU is but ive already got a stock rom from when i backed up the phone before flashing cyanogenmod7... so i just went straight to the fastboot and its just saying < waiting for device > even when i run the cmd as an administrator?

usaff22

Nov 8, 2011
i just installed htc sync like it said? but the thing is... i havent a clue what an RUU is but ive already got a stock rom from when i backed up the phone before flashing cyanogenmod7... so i just went straight to the fastboot and its just saying < waiting for device > even when i run the cmd as an administrator?

OK. Install the Android SDK. I would send you the link but am on my phone now. Google "Android SDK" and find the installer. Open a new tab. Google "Java JDK". You will need this to get the SDK. Install the latest version. Once it finishes, install the SDK into the default folder. Open the SDK once it finishes. A pop-up menu will come up asking you what SDK Platforms to install. Scroll down until yousee something like Android USB Drivers. Check that. Let it install and try again when it finishes.

Sent from my Wildfire using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Daidude

Oct 26, 2011
London
RUU help

I have a rooted wildfire and would like to use your guide but i don't have an RUU from when i first got my wildfire so i would like to know how to get a vodafone UK one. I do have a nandroid backup from when I had my stock rom though if that helps :)

usaff22

Nov 8, 2011
I have a rooted wildfire and would like to use your guide but i don't have an RUU from when i first got my wildfire so i would like to know how to get a vodafone UK one. I do have a nandroid backup from when I had my stock rom though if that helps :)

OK. Don't worry, no one gets an RUU prepackaged with their phone. ;)

Google "shipped ROMS". Find the buzz (Wildfire). Find the newest Vodafone UK RUU. The radio version should be 3.35.20.10. Use this RUU :)

Sent from my Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

nav33n

May 8, 2012
Bangalore
it says waitting for device...

and then enter.

It should say:
...OKAY

7. Then type

and then enter.

It should say:
writing 'hboot'... OKAY

8. Reboot into the bootloader. It should say BUZZ PVT SHIP S-ON and the HBOOT version should be 1.01.001.

You have successfully reverted your phone back to stock settings and the stock ROM!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
After the first command it doesnt say OKAY, it says waitting for device.

Help me...What should i do next....?:confused:

Scratch0805

Jun 18, 2011
Sheffield
Did you boot the phone into fastboot? Vol down + power button then select fastboot.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using xda premium

adarshverma96

May 19, 2012
CCleaner method Not working

I was using my Wildfire A3333 with S-off and root access.
But yesterday, i accidently ran RUU of HTC Wildfire S and lost all of My data along with orignal software. And the worst part is that I forgot to take a nandroid Backup Before running RUU. To make my phone active, I downloaded a stock ROM which was not working Properly. N now, whenever I am trying to run any RUU, It says 'waiting for bootloader' and then Error 171 appears........
Please Help I am dying.................................................................

Last edited:

K22

Apr 29, 2006
Yes, Yes, Yes!

Awesome guide mate, so awesome in fact that you've triggered my first post since joining in April 2006!! I've had a hardware fault with my Wildfire for months and months, but couldn't get it fixed due to the mods. I tried many times to restore it to stock but failed miserably on each occasion. This guide worked a treat, the only thing I would add for those trying to follow this guide, is that you need to be in bootloader (Fastboot USB) to flash the HBOOT for S-ON.

Many, many thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: usaff22

kiesa2

Nov 6, 2011
Hello i have problem.This manual helps for me.Now i see all default icons on desktop.But now not working sound then i call any numbers.Sound is only working then i turn on speaker.How fix this problem.?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guide to Unrooting and S-ON’ing the HTC Wildfire to fix errors [170] / [171]​

Hi everyone,

This is a guide I made through my experience of Unrooting and S-ON'ing the HTC Wildfire. This also works for people who have tried multiple times and still have the ERROR [170] or ERROR [171] USB CONNECTION ERROR. I had this error and used these steps to fix it. :)

*** I do not take any responsibility if your phone fries or explodes during the process. No, seriously I don't take any responsibility if your phone gets bricked. This worked for many people, including me ***

1. Uninstall Android SDK from Control Panel (Start>Programs>Uninstall a Program).

2. Uninstall hacked HBOOT drivers (Start>Device Manager – Right Click on the driver and click “Uninstall”

3. Uninstall HTC Sync and all drivers that came with it.

4. Download CCleaner here.

5. Run CCleaner and do a full scan.

6. Do a full registry scan after backing up the registry.

7. Re-install HTC Sync.

8. Reboot your computer. (Do not skip this step)

9. Connect your phone to the computer via “Charge Only”.

10. Disconnect from the internet so that Windows Update won’t try and install the driver software all over again.

11. Enable USB Debugging on your phone (Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging).

12. Start the RUU and go through the steps. The device should reboot and come up with the HTC logo and a progress bar until its completion.

Your phone has only now restored to the stock ROM and has been unrooted. The device still has the bootloader unlocked. In the next steps we will restore the phone back to an S-ON state. This is for people who used to have HBOOT 1.01.001. If you had 1.01.002, you should restore from a pre-rooted nandroid Backup​

and then enter.

It should say:
    ...OKAY

7. Then type

and then enter.

It should say:
    writing 'hboot'... OKAY

Thanks to the following people:

• DeCex for making the tutorial " S-ON again after AlphaRevx instructions" - it helped me alot
    • Vinsanity93 on the Android Forums for making the thread "RUU error 170 & 171 solution for Windows 7"
    fail...

after the first command it doesnt say OKAY, it just says "< waiting for device >"

what have i done wrong?
    Yes, Yes, Yes!

Awesome guide mate, so awesome in fact that you've triggered my first post since joining in April 2006!! I've had a hardware fault with my Wildfire for months and months, but couldn't get it fixed due to the mods. I tried many times to restore it to stock but failed miserably on each occasion. This guide worked a treat, the only thing I would add for those trying to follow this guide, is that you need to be in bootloader (Fastboot USB) to flash the HBOOT for S-ON.

Many, many thanks!
    okay, but how can I get back to HBOOT 1.02.000?
    is it safe to use the same method but I do fastboot flash hboot1.02.000.nb0?
    I found one over here http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/HTC_Wildfire:_Support_Downloads

because my phone originally have that version,
    I'm afraid that my warranty will be void if they know that I changed HBOOT version.
    Yep, it's safe. Although they won't know, you can do it just in case, but it will make your next root slower and more tedious. But that is your choice, if you want to flash HBOOT 1.01.0002, go ahead and flash it.
    nice work friend!!!!