[Q] Rooting from Android 4.3

Search This thread

JamesStewy

Sep 25, 2010
Hi,

I, after the long wait, foolishly updated my Xperia T to Android 4.3 (build 9.2.A.0.295). Before doing so I made a nandroid backup of my 4.1.2 install (can't remember what build). Only now do I realize this mistake as the current method for rooting requires you to start from a rooted Android 4.1.2 base. So this leaves me in a situation with a lot of questions that need answers.

Firstly, is there a back up technique that I can use (instead of nandroid) that doesn't require a rooted 4.3 device? And if so to what level does it backup (i.e what will I lose)? Or can I create a nandroid without a root? I would like to be able to use it as a safety net so that I don't lose everything if I screw something up.

If there is such a method I would like to root my device but I have been unable to find any instructions rooting from 4.3 for newbies like me. The current post by DaRk-LOrD just says "Install 4.1.2". How do I do that? Is it possible I can just skip downgrading and somehow go straight to installing CWM on 4.3 (I might be talking garbage, I don't know...)?

Also if I am to root I would like a way to get as close as possible to my current installation of Android 4.3 as possible (apps, app data, settings, etc.). How would I go about doing this? Maybe I install Android 4.1.2 from my nandroid I made before updating?

Also, does anyone know if it is likely we will be seeing a tool such as this one for Xperia T 4.3? Maybe if such a tool is in the works I should hold off for a bit longer.

I know these are a lot of question but I have been unable to find this information which is either relevant or applicable to my situation or what I find is just too complicated (steps are too broad and assume too much prior knowledge). If I have left out any information you need please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
JamesStewy

peter-k

Jul 31, 2013
Singapore
snip ...
I know these are a lot of question but I have been unable to find this information which is either relevant or applicable to my situation or what I find is just too complicated (steps are too broad and assume too much prior knowledge). If I have left out any information you need please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
JamesStewy

I have a short answer for you: 4.3 is not ready for prime time.

I recommend downgrading to 4.12, root it, install CWM, then flash another ROM of your choice. Look for downgrade to 4.12 threads, such as this:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2655182

St.Jimmy90

Jul 31, 2013
Frankfurt
Is your bootloader locked, or unlocked? If it is unlocked simply flash a custom kernel. Then flash the supersu zip file you can find in this forum. Next step is to flash the kernel from the ftf file, make sure to exclude everything else.

JamesStewy

Sep 25, 2010
Is your bootloader locked, or unlocked? If it is unlocked simply flash a custom kernel. Then flash the supersu zip file you can find in this forum. Next step is to flash the kernel from the ftf file, make sure to exclude everything else.

I do have an unlocked bootloader.

Does the steps you have outlined above root 4.3 with out a downgrade? Will this process wipe my phone (if so how can I get it back afterwards)? Also, where can I find "a custom kernel" (which one?), "supersu zip" (like the one from Dark Lords post? What version of supersu?) and "the ftf file" (the Xperia T, Android 4.3, build 295 ftf file?) ??? Sorry but I am too new to this to understand exactly what you are saying from what you gave me but it does sound like what I want :).

Thanks,
JamesStewy

St.Jimmy90

Jul 31, 2013
Frankfurt
I do have an unlocked bootloader.

Does the steps you have outlined above root 4.3 with out a downgrade? Will this process wipe my phone (if so how can I get it back afterwards)? Also, where can I find "a custom kernel" (which one?), "supersu zip" (like the one from Dark Lords post? What version of supersu?) and "the ftf file" (the Xperia T, Android 4.3, build 295 ftf file?) ??? Sorry but I am too new to this to understand exactly what you are saying from what you gave me but it does sound like what I want :).

Thanks,
JamesStewy

1. You will not have to downgrade
2. It will not wipe your phone
3. Download for example CM or Omni rom, extract the kernel and flash it via flashtool
4. http://download.chainfire.eu/382/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.93.zip
5. Yes, the Xperia T .295 ftf file, if you were using it before

JamesStewy

Sep 25, 2010

St.Jimmy90

Jul 31, 2013
Frankfurt
You said that you did a nandroid backup. I'm pretty sure you did this in a recovery. There has been a guide of how to root stock 4.3 with unlocked bootloader. Search for it here and you will find it. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

JamesStewy

Sep 25, 2010
You said that you did a nandroid backup. I'm pretty sure you did this in a recovery. There has been a guide of how to root stock 4.3 with unlocked bootloader. Search for it here and you will find it. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.

It was a nandroid of 4.1.2 from an app. Can I make a nandroid of my 4.3 install without a root (that would be awesome)?

I will search for that post.

JamesStewy

Sep 25, 2010
This post is for TX (i would assume it is adaptable by downloading the T versions of the files) but it does say wipe personal data in the instructions which isn't really ideal.

There's Dark Lords post which I found originally which goes through the steps of having 4.1.2 installed and it it also says "do a factory reset" which isn't ideal either.

There is this post which looks quite promising but is about the Xperia V (could that be adapted?)

And that is the first three pages of searching "xperia t 4.3 root unlocked"

St.Jimmy90

Jul 31, 2013
Frankfurt
This post is for TX (i would assume it is adaptable by downloading the T versions of the files) but it does say wipe personal data in the instructions which isn't really ideal.

There's Dark Lords post which I found originally which goes through the steps of having 4.1.2 installed and it it also says "do a factory reset" which isn't ideal either.

There is this post which looks quite promising but is about the Xperia V (could that be adapted?)

And that is the first three pages of searching "xperia t 4.3 root unlocked"

I meant this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2647496

Reactions: JamesStewy

JamesStewy

Sep 25, 2010
Whoops. Silly me :eek:. Thanks a lot, I will try this out when I have a bit more time.

Thanks Again,
JamesStewy

Top Liked Posts