[Q] Any major problems with this phone?

Search This thread

borchgrevink

Jul 5, 2010
I have an SGS1 now. Considering upgrading due to unfixable lag with it. Is the SGS2 free from major problems?

Dr.Sid

Nov 27, 2008
Experience may vary .. but for me, after 1 week (coming from HD2), it's a dream phone. Biggest problem seems to be battery life. My is comparable to HD2, but some people have considerate problems with it.

ancap

Jun 8, 2011
Battery life (fixable - there are some rogue processes that eat it up), banding (16bit color instead of 24bit - fixable, driver issue).

andrej.marinic

Jul 23, 2010
Belgrade
phone gets very hot when gaming, radio is a bit f***ed in that sometimes you cannot get the internet to work when going from wireless to 3g (workaround is to toggle flight mode, bit annoying to be honest). some are experiencing a yellowish left side of the screen, though i personally do not have that problem.

all in all it's a good phone with a few quirks, but comparing to sgs1, (had it previously as well) i must say that it is quite a leap in the right direction.

speaking of lag on sgs1, have you updated to 2.3.3? i gave the phone to my mom and installed 2.3.3 and the lag is almost gone to be honest.

borchgrevink

Jul 5, 2010
phone gets very hot when gaming, radio is a bit f***ed in that sometimes you cannot get the internet to work when going from wireless to 3g (workaround is to toggle flight mode, bit annoying to be honest). some are experiencing a yellowish left side of the screen, though i personally do not have that problem.

all in all it's a good phone with a few quirks, but comparing to sgs1, (had it previously as well) i must say that it is quite a leap in the right direction.

speaking of lag on sgs1, have you updated to 2.3.3? i gave the phone to my mom and installed 2.3.3 and the lag is almost gone to be honest.

Have 2.3.3. but lag returns after a while...

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
OP, go visit a few forums for phones that have recently been released. The new question isn't "are there any major problems?", but "which major problems should I investigate?" I would challenge any existing SGS2 user to point out a dual-core phone that has fewer issues. You'll find "different" issues, but not "fewer." For now, for me, there's no phone currently out that I'd replace the SGS2 with.

And OP, the direct answer to your question is find the threads on display banding, Wi-FI performance, GPS, 2/3/4G radio, audio, camera, and battery life and if, based on your needs, you're OK with what's been discussed you should be fine.

Digital1325

Apr 29, 2010
Had it for a few days. My wifi works fine, no light leaking out of the sides, battery life is normal for an Android smartphone. I don't notice any banding (and I'm not going to go looking for it).

Coming from a Nexus One it's a massive upgrade. Couldn't be happier with it (aside from the loudspeaker quality, iPhone 4 is better in this regard).

By all means take the plunge. It's the best phone currently on the market.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Cralis

Jul 22, 2008
Brisbane
I have to keep resetting my internet connection (Go into Airplane mode, and out) as it seems to get stuck when switching from H(SDPA?) to 3G... :mad:

I'd say it's a major... but only effects a few people, it seems.

Sleepycat3

May 8, 2011
I have to keep resetting my internet connection (Go into Airplane mode, and out) as it seems to get stuck when switching from H(SDPA?) to 3G... :mad:

I'd say it's a major... but only effects a few people, it seems.

Which network are you using? It could be an issue on the provider's end! I am on Telstra NextG and find that the issue occurs only in certain areas. I believe it is very tower-dependant as I can go into areas where it flips between 3G and HSPDA+ many many times without fail and then I can get into an area which I assume have not been upgraded and I will end up with the phone stuck in one of the two modes and not be able to transfer data.

hansonator

Sep 14, 2010
Calgary
I really want this phone when it comes to Canada. The issues seem either minor or limited to small percentage of units. No different than the SGS1 or any piece of technology for that matter. Defective units do make it out the door, that is why there are warranty and return periods.

As to the issue some of you guys are having with loss of data signal, the SGS1 had an issue while on Eclair where when you were in a no signal area the phone would totally freeze and you would have to reboot. It's been fixed since Froyo along with many other bugs.

Enjoy your phone, I hope to join ya'll in the not too distant future.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA Premium App

gtcardwhere

May 9, 2009
I am assuming the connectivity issue people are having is with the "up arrow" constantly lit up but not the down arrow. This problem I have seen in every single android handset I have used (G1, Optimus T, SGS1, and of course, the SGS2). The only common denominator is that I have used all of them while on T-Mobile USA's network. It almost always happens when I am in areas with spotty reception, or in other words, instances when I lose signal, momentarily.

However, that isn't the biggest issue for me. I bought the SGS2 to play the Gameloft games I bought on my SGS1, and I can tell you right now that this is the biggest shock to me when I did get my SGS2: none of my Gameloft games work (Asphalt 6, MC2, NOVA2, Eternal Legacy). Although I am finding out more and more about why this is the case now, this was not something I saw coming in the research I've done leading up to my purchase of this phone. 2D games seem to work fine, but if you intend to play 3D games on this phone, I suggest running some searches here with the the name of a game-in-question to see if there are any threads already about its compatibility with the SGS2.

That being said, I do not regret buying this phone one bit. It is hands down the smoothest Android experience I have ever had. I cannot slow this phone down even when I tried, and I am a very heavy user--I can drain my Vibrant's battery in under 3 hours, with di.fm playing while I use feedly and the browser while talking on beejive. This phone can handle that with no slowdown, and last much longer than my Vibrant to boot. I've actually gotten through a full workday with this usage pattern, on a single charge. This is the first phone to last me through an entire day. Even my iPhone needed charging mid-day.

dalebar4

Feb 6, 2015
Galaxy s2

That was the biggest pile of junk i had ever owned. In 5 months the charging port quit working. In 8 months power botten failed. So then, all the phone would do is boot over and over. Completly usless.