?Android OS with a tile based home screen, WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

geddeeee

Feb 4, 2010
Android... the fat cousin at the wedding...

Horrible OS. It's a phone, FFS!!! Look at all the customization options we have... Is that to hide the fact it doesn't work properly???

MadManMark

Nov 7, 2010
Android... the fat cousin at the wedding...

Horrible OS. It's a phone, FFS!!! Look at all the customization options we have... Is that to hide the fact it doesn't work properly???
How does Android not work properly? And out of interest which Android phones have you owned my friend?

ruscik

Jun 16, 2007
London
I have at the moment OneX, 8x, HD7 and HD2. In the past I had phones with windows mobile before android was an idea. Phones like xda, xda 2s, o2 orbit, mda, mda compact, o2 orbit 2, htc diamond, diamond 2.

My first Android experience was on HD2, then I got Motorola defy and htc HD now OneX. Every time I go back to MS OS. In fact I hate apple but would buy iPhone over Android after OneX fiasco. One huge gripe I have with Android that has not change since day one and will not change. They do not work properly out of the box. You have to root it and remove loads of crappy apps to make the damn thing stable-ish and somewhat responsive.

FFS look at spec of OneX and yet I had lag, few seconds of freezes on apps, os and launcher, random crashes, reboots and odd ball issues. Till rooted it was completely unreliable in my view. HD7 with it's miserable spec in comparison to oneX is running smoothly, stable and no lags.

In regards of apps, get an iPhone if you use app like tapatalk for browsing forums. FFS you got a Smart phone and you use apps. Open the browser, go to forum and enjoy full functionality. No lags, no freezes no issues. If you want to install/buy app for everything get an iPhone.
Do not see people installing tapatalk style apps on their PC's so why on phones?

MadManMark

Nov 7, 2010
I have at the moment OneX, 8x, HD7 and HD2. In the past I had phones with windows mobile before android was an idea. Phones like xda, xda 2s, o2 orbit, mda, mda compact, o2 orbit 2, htc diamond, diamond 2.

My first Android experience was on HD2, then I got Motorola defy and htc HD now OneX. Every time I go back to MS OS. In fact I hate apple but would buy iPhone over Android after OneX fiasco. One huge gripe I have with Android that has not change since day one and will not change. They do not work properly out of the box. You have to root it and remove loads of crappy apps to make the damn thing stable-ish and somewhat responsive.

FFS look at spec of OneX and yet I had lag, few seconds of freezes on apps, os and launcher, random crashes, reboots and odd ball issues. Till rooted it was completely unreliable in my view. HD7 with it's miserable spec in comparison to oneX is running smoothly, stable and no lags.

In regards of apps, get an iPhone if you use app like tapatalk for browsing forums. FFS you got a Smart phone and you use apps. Open the browser, go to forum and enjoy full functionality. No lags, no freezes no issues. If you want to install/buy app for everything get an iPhone.
Do not see people installing tapatalk style apps on their PC's so why on phones?
Your post was humorous, if you want to talk about the Android experience, you should first understand it. HTC's use HTC Sense interface, which is much heavier than the Stock android interface. Of all the OEM UI's its one of the laggiest. Its unfair to talk on all android devices, based on your experience with a HTC. Blame HTC for putting on all those 'crappy apps'.

geddeeee

Feb 4, 2010
How does Android not work properly? And out of interest which Android phones have you owned my friend?

Erm... All of 'em!!!

I develop for Android, not by choice... it's my job!!! Also iOS, WP etc...

It's laggy and bloated. You can throw all the hardware you like at Android, but there are still lags. It's down to the kernel and security systems on Android. It's great for keeping viruses to a minimum, but it saps CPU and OS speed.

It's just my personal opinion anyway. If Android works for you then, great....

MadManMark

Nov 7, 2010
Lag on android is actually due to true multi-tasking and it being modular (everything is an app), it actually keeps apps running in the background, whereas iOS closes apps when you switch. The Jelly Bean update gave the OS alot more fluidity, reduced lag and bugs. It would be like judging windows vista, when windows 7 is available.

Reactions: g2tegg

g2tegg

May 12, 2011
The Hammer
If you look at the LG Optimus G everything is great but it lacks the NVIDIA Tegra chip-set but at least it still looks like a phone lol.

Lol what!?? The S4 Pro smokes the Tegra 3's ass all over the place. I can't stand LG's phones, and the Optimus G has serious software issues but definitely not hardware (camera is terrible too).
I've been around these forums for years and I somehow stumbled across this thread. Little did I know WP fanboys where as idiodic as Apple fanboys. You two groups are clearly two peas in a pot.
Android isn't perfect. We all know that. Neither is WP. This thread made that very obvious. Whether users are riddled with hardware issues or not, I'm glad I never bought the 920 when I was considering it. Before Android I was a long time iOS user. Apple was so ahead of Android it wasn't even funny. Basic web browsing was a clear winner for iOS every time.
But after Steve died, it seems as if all there innovations died as well. Android has pulled ahead in all categories.
I'm not going to bash WP. Any new smartphone, to me, is a welcome addition. Unfortunately I need to have an ecosystem. Its not all about the fastest specs or the clearest screen. To me its about the complete ecosystem that no other company is able to provide other then Google. Nothing can come close. Google Maps, Currents, Drive, Talk, Gmail, Chrome (bookmarks), Now, etc etc.
And to all the Android haters out there. I've never experienced lag on my phone. Its packing nothing but the best hardware, plus battery life that puts most phones to shame. Samsung clearly put a lot of thought into their devices, and some very innovative features.
Android still has room for much more improvements. I'll be the first to admit it. But the other OS's in the market have much more to worry about. They need a reason to convince users to switch. Fancy live tiles or Xbox integration is not going to convince anyone. Granted it looks good, with great browser performance, I don't see any advantages.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

mcosmin222

May 1, 2012
Here we go again.

Android can be used, but only if you use the highest end phones. For most of its market-share, these phones that actually work will not be accessible. Windows Phone works like a charm on devices android won't even boot properly (lumia 610 for example)

ruscik

Jun 16, 2007
London
Your post was humorous, if you want to talk about the Android experience, you should first understand it. HTC's use HTC Sense interface, which is much heavier than the Stock android interface. Of all the OEM UI's its one of the laggiest. Its unfair to talk on all android devices, based on your experience with a HTC. Blame HTC for putting on all those 'crappy apps'.

Ok then have to agree with that. However if anything you need to be happy HTC is doing that. At the end Google is releasing unfinished OS with missing real UI under excuse you can customize it.

Why they can not release their own UI that is fluid and does not take up resources, my opinion is because it is impossible. Any serious UI for Android will be big and resource hungry there is just so much missing in stock Android.

BTW I also tried Nova launcher and Samsung UI still as much lag as any other just different feel.

MadManMark

Nov 7, 2010
Ok then have to agree with that. However if anything you need to be happy HTC is doing that. At the end Google is releasing unfinished OS with missing real UI under excuse you can customize it.

Why they can not release their own UI that is fluid and does not take up resources, my opinion is because it is impossible. Any serious UI for Android will be big and resource hungry there is just so much missing in stock Android.

BTW I also tried Nova launcher and Samsung UI still as much lag as any other just different feel.

You dont know what youre talking about, do you know how smooth Nova launcher is? Also touchwiz UI and Sony UI are "fluid" I dont get windows boy's hard on over live tiles :s, they're squares, that update themselves with notifications?

Sent from my LT22i using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

Here we go again.

Android can be used, but only if you use the highest end phones. For most of its market-share, these phones that actually work will not be accessible. Windows Phone works like a charm on devices android won't even boot properly (lumia 610 for example)

I'm on a mid range phone having a great experience. I also know there are people on the low end Samsung Galaxy Ace having a good user experience. Some phones released on Android at the low end suck very bad but they are much cheaper than entry-level windows phones.

Sent from my LT22i using xda app-developers app

jerrya

Oct 20, 2009
Maple Valley
Ok, I've only had one android phone, and.one windows mobile phone. I'm now on the 8X. I have to say the first couple of weeks with my Thunderbolt it ran smooth and quickly. But then it started to lag, and eventually rebooted up to 5 times a day. I rooted and tried several custom roms. Each improved one aspect, but worsened another. I started to miss my old Imagio. Now, I can't say enough about this 8X. It has literally blew everything I liked about android out of the water. For me, the lack of ecosystem, its missing apps, jrs missing functions are surpassed by its ease if use, performance, speed, and overall user friendlyness. Call me a fan boy, that's cool, because maybe I am.

My name is Jerry, and this is my Windows phone.

Sent from my wicked sexy HTC 8X windows phone using Board Express

MadManMark

Nov 7, 2010
Ok, I've only had one android phone, and.one windows mobile phone. I'm now on the 8X. I have to say the first couple of weeks with my Thunderbolt it ran smooth and quickly. But then it started to lag, and eventually rebooted up to 5 times a day. I rooted and tried several custom roms. Each improved one aspect, but worsened another. I started to miss my old Imagio. Now, I can't say enough about this 8X. It has literally blew everything I liked about android out of the water. For me, the lack of ecosystem, its missing apps, jrs missing functions are surpassed by its ease if use, performance, speed, and overall user friendlyness. Call me a fan boy, that's cool, because maybe I am.

My name is Jerry, and this is my Windows phone.

Sent from my wicked sexy HTC 8X windows phone using Board Express
The closing line of your post was just wow lol. Fair enough but please judge android by its latest firmware, it wouldnt be fair for me to talk about windows phone based on mango. The thunderbolt was only updated up to ice cream sandwich, and its specs would struggle on ICS, its a pretty old phone too, hardly comparable to HTC's latest and greatest windows phone. Android has come a long way

farukdgn

Nov 14, 2010
Ynt: ?Android OS with a tile based home screen, WTF?

You shouldn't be surprised, since it's android, it can steal everything just like it did from apple.

Sent from my GT-I5510 using Tapatalk.

MadManMark

Nov 7, 2010
You shouldn't be surprised, since it's android, it can steal everything just like it did from apple.

He posted from his android...lol. But this post is unfair, Google did not steal from Apple for one, and for two, its HTC who 'innovated' this, wont be on any other brand of Android anytime soon i'm sure

farukdgn

Nov 14, 2010

He posted from his android...lol. But this post is unfair, Google did not steal from Apple for one, and for two, its HTC who 'innovated' this, wont be on any other brand of Android anytime soon i'm sure

Really? Then check this android prototype that was appeared before iphone's announcement.
EDIT: Oh! It doesn't look like an iphonoid! It looks like a calculator!
http://www.embeddedflash.com/wp-content/ti_android_prototype.jpeg

GT-I5510 cihazımdan Tapatalk 2 ile gönderildi

Last edited:

MadManMark

Nov 7, 2010
Really? Then check this android prototype that was appeared before iphone's announcement.
EDIT: Oh! It doesn't look like an iphonoid! It looks like a calculator!
http://www.embeddedflash.com/wp-content/ti_android_prototype.jpeg

So what? Companies compete with eachother, well done for stumbling on to that. I take it that your point is that Android wasnt going to go with a touch screen device? Well a prototype is a prototype, what was released was this http://mail2web.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/t-mobile-g1-android-phone.jpg nothing like an iPhone. Also HTC are behind the design! And if you're so pro iPhone why on earth are you posting in a Windows Phone thread, from an Android device lol, you really are a lost soul buddy.

Last edited:

farukdgn

Nov 14, 2010

So what? Companies compete with eachother, well done for stumbling on to that. I take it that your point is that Android wasnt going to go with a touch screen device? Well a prototype is a prototype, what was released was this http://mail2web.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/t-mobile-g1-android-phone.jpg nothing like an iPhone

This was after iphone.. Sorry I dont have time to talk to fanboys. I must study. See you when Google steals new things.

MadManMark

Nov 7, 2010
This was after iphone.. Sorry I dont have time to talk to fanboys. I must study. See you when Google steals new things.

But even after the iPhone, it still looked nothing like an iPhone. Sorry i'm too much of a fanboy to realise that every touch screen device just copied Apple. Please close your XDA account.

g2tegg

May 12, 2011
The Hammer

Apple paved the way for touchscreens phone. That's the only innovative thing they have done since 2007.
Android may have used that "concept", but then again Apple never came up with the idea of a all touchscreen device. Samsung had one years before Apple.
Every large company copies one another in one shape or form. Microsoft is a clear example of this. Who invented the drag and click mouse? Apple did!
Difference is, Apple abuses their size, and decides they can sue anyone who gets in their way. Fact of the matter is, Samsung is scaring the sh** out of them. Apple stocks are dropping faster then ever was imagined. Their only option at this point is to try and sue the ones beating them out of the marketplace.

Reactions: Terepin

MadManMark

Nov 7, 2010
Lets not turn this into a thread of who stole what from who. Anybody sensible knows that every company learns from eachother. Because humans learn from one another and we bounce ideas off of one another, its not really stealing (in most cases) however, if this ignorant Apple sheep wants me to list things his beloved company has stolen, i'm so ready.

Reactions: g2tegg
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay, so this has just turned into Trollfest 2013. I don't see this thread as ever having any worth or merit in the first place, and it's certainly got none now. I suggest all the feisty people in here calm down and remember it's only a phone, and we all like different ones regardless of what other people think.

And on that note, thread closed.
    It was a windows mobile forum til it was desecrated by android fanboys.

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 PM ----------

Didn't you gripe about the HD7, then have a titan very briefly, and now supposedly buy a Lumia 900 just to gripe about wp7. I'm thinking that changing your signature doesn't change the phone in your hands.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360019259.696384.jpg

Can you read it clearly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree, I feel like Android has 3 levels Low, Mid range, and High end. Depending on what kind of phone you buy that is going to be the experience you get out of Android. I have had my LG Spectrum 2 for about a week with no lags, freezes or reboots so far. Coming from the Sony X1i this such a huge upgrade. Also I haven't rooted my phone and probably won't because all I wanted to do is change the UI from the LG one and I did with Go Launcher EX+ Go Lock. Everything works smoothly and the funny thing is that I hate LG but took a chance with this phone based on reviews and video reviews and I am very happy I did :).

I disagree. My wife had a HTC desire. It had a small 3.5" screen, 512 Mb of ram and a horrendous 600Mhz cortex A-5. But guess what? That little phone lasted for days off a single charge, and my wife never complained about it running slow or lag. Our daughter smashed the screen so I decided to get something more "durable"
    She now uses a Motorola HD (1gb of ram and 1.5Ghz scorpion dual core). Build quality is unreal. Yet she says there is pretty much no difference is speed. Battery life is cut in half now.
    Old Android phones cannot be compared to new ones. Whether they are super phones or not. They have come a long long way. Still room for improvement, but definitely the leader in the smartphone pack.

Okay, so I was surffing the web and found this linke (http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/25/htc-au-infobar-a02/):confused: Instead of starting a flame war; I'll let you be the judge.

Update (2-19-13) Yet another tile based Android on the way...http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/18/fujitsu-orange-senior-friendly-stylistic-s01/ LOL. Android sure love the Metro UI.

Update (2-27-13) Wow, just wow....http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/27/e-ink-reference-phone/
    I'm thinking that since project butter didn’t' eliminate over all lag and performance that Android is taking a lesson learned from Microsoft. I agree that it looks way different than Metro but the basis is almost copycat like for example, the tiles are different sizes and can be resized and moved around. The home screen also has no background\wallpaper and appears to be more fluid than your regular Android OS. The only difference is that the tiles are not live.

Another theory that I have is that Google\Android is in fact starting to worry about Windows Phone; I mean Lumina sold millions of phones this year already and resent studies show that WP users are happier with their phones than Android users. I have to admit that Android OS is attractive and customizable but the overall experience isn't all that great; I've had a few Android devices and have also used Linux but I have to be hones; I always end up going back to Microsoft\Windows.

that's one far fetched theory. Especially since Android outsells WP 300-1.