Clockwork mod ??

Search This thread

Jose0726

Dec 30, 2011
P.R
Hi. I am having trouble finding the clockwork mod for this device on this forum. I found some instrucions on the cyanogen mod forum with an oficial rom from them. Which one anyone suggest me? roms from the forum or cyanogens 7. im searching for an ics rom..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
The hard way is usually what new owners of the Captivate learn, and fast, like I did over the past week or so. I ended up:

- getting the i897uckk4 Odin One Click - Stock ROM and flashing that so it was fully updated (at least as far as the AT&T stock stuff is concerned)
- located the Odin3 v1.85 flasher
- flashed the captivate-recovery-cwm5-kernel.tar onto the Captivate (it's the stock KK4 kernel with CWM 5 ready to go)
- then used CWM to update/upgrade from a bunch of ROMs, currently using Doc's Master beta v9, but I've tried about 10 ROMs in the past few days, this one is working fine at the moment aside from some ROM Control FC issues, but it's beta obviously

That should get you going. Found all the files here by searching, use the names I just mentioned above to locate them as I didn't save individual links, sorry.

Hope this helps...

Miss Little Sadie

Apr 8, 2012
Thank U Very Much

The hard way is usually what new owners of the Captivate learn, and fast, like I did over the past week or so. I ended up:

- getting the i897uckk4 Odin One Click - Stock ROM and flashing that so it was fully updated (at least as far as the AT&T stock stuff is concerned)
- flashed the captivate-recovery-cwm5-kernel.tar onto the Captivate (it's the stock KK4 kernel with CWM 5 ready to go)
- then used CWM to update/upgrade from a bunch of ROMs, currently using Doc's Master beta v9, but I've tried about 10 ROMs in the past few days, this one is working fine at the moment aside from some ROM Control FC issues, but it's beta obviously

That should get you going. Found all the files here by searching, use the names I just mentioned above to locate them as I didn't save individual links, sorry.

Hope this helps...

Thank U Very Much, Your guild is awesome worked the 1st time, I been trying for 3 days NOW, THANK U SO Much.

askpcguy

Aug 8, 2010
Clockwork mod is a recovery kernel replacement which allows flashing of unsigned zip files. You flash or "reinstall packages" as an update.zip from the original recovery. This roots the phone and installs Clockwork recovery.

Flashing roms without knowing the three button method to get into recovery or the button combo to get into download mode could spell trouble for people who are just learning about rom flashing.

It takes a few months of reading threads until a level of understanding is reached where you can flash roms and get out of trouble on your own.

Jose0726

Dec 30, 2011
P.R

Hope this helps...

Thanks alot..im going to try that now and se how it goes :)

Jose0726

Dec 30, 2011
P.R
Clockwork mod is a recovery kernel replacement which allows flashing of unsigned zip files. You flash or "reinstall packages" as an update.zip from the original recovery. This roots the phone and installs Clockwork recovery.

Flashing roms without knowing the three button method to get into recovery or the button combo to get into download mode could spell trouble for people who are just learning about rom flashing.

It takes a few months of reading threads until a level of understanding is reached where you can flash roms and get out of trouble on your own.

Ive been flashing for a while now. I have a galaxy fit rooted and with clockwork..i was just asking because i want to now if i do this will it take away my currently settings..since i network unlocked it and am currently using it with claro.. Im on stock rooted 2.3.5 uckk4 unlocked network

sternrulez

Nov 19, 2008

Hope this helps...
Soooo sorry to bother, but I'm at my wits end trying to root and remod my new captivate. The last one crapped out on me, so I was able to get a replacement, but I don't remember flashing it being this hard 6 months ago...lol! Anyway, here's my current stats and what I'm looking for:

Firmware: 2.3.5
Baseband: I897UCKK4
Kernel: 2.6.35.7-I897UCKK4-CL614489
Build: Gingerbread.UCKK4

I can if need be flash it back to 2.1 with Odin, but I followed your instructions, and now I'm stuck. I can't for the life of me find the captivate-recovery-cwm5-kernel file anywhere, on here or elsewhere. I don't even think the phone is rooted now, which is very strange because I was able to flash it, but anyway...any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!! :)

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
I can't upload the Odin One Click ROM, it's too much for my current situation, but here's the captivate-recovery-cwm5-kernel.tar file:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19019338/captivate-recovery-cwm5-kernel.tar

MD5: 8464e7cee89c7364d62b760c28a4ca73
File size: 6,359,040 bytes

and here's Odin v1.85 if you don't have it:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19019338/Odin3_v1.85.zip

MD5: 9a81990a61454402e8714f494bb4eb68
File size: 204,173 bytes

Now, the basics are thus so pay attention:

Since Samsung is never going to release a proper ICS build for us, from what I understand - let me repeat that: from what I understand everything is working with Gingerbread bootloaders, so that's the important aspect. Before you go flashing anything, you'll need to get the Captivate OFF Froyo of any version if you're still using it. So, update that thing using Samsung Kies to the latest version which is that KK4 ROM - that's all that's required.

Once you're done that, and you're "stock" then you would flash the captivate-recovery-cwm5-kernel.tar kernel using Odin (run Odin with Admin privilege, put the Captivate in download mode, connect it, when detected, click the PDA button in Odin to load that captivate-recovery-cwm5-kernel.tar file, then Start to flash it). Once that's done you have the same kernel for KK4 but with CWM ready to go when you are with a proper GB bootloader and you're set.

The only reason I mentioned the Odin One Click above was because I did a few things that "pooched" my Captivate and soft-bricked it at one point but recovered it with Odin and the One Click when Kies couldn't do anything at all. There's a thread around here with all the Odin One Click ROMs, that's where I got mine from.

tl;dr version:

- if you're running any Froyo anything, use Kies to do the upgrade to Gingerbread, NOT the Odin One Click. Kies will update the bootloader from Froyo to GB as required (the Odin One Click was part of what caused my soft-brick, so I learned from the experience)
- if you're already running any Gingerbread ROM, you already have the GB bootloader, so you can use the Odin One Click to go to a pure stock AT&T basic clean ROM as mentioned above
- once you're "stock" use Odin v1.85 to flash the captivate-recovery-cwm5-kernel.tar so you get the same stock kernel but CWM as well
- use CWM to install whatever ROM you want from that point on making sure the ROM archive(s) and any updates or whatever are copied to the internal storage

Personal suggestion: remove the microSD card from the Captivate before doing any flashing at all. Yes it's possible to read from that device (called the external SD in CWM), I simply don't recommend it, ever.

That's about it. The Odin One Click KK4 is not rooted, iirc, I can't say for certain at this moment either way. I only used it a few times to "save" me from the soft-brick. Now that CWM is in there, I've jumped from ROM to ROM over the past week or so but Doc's Master v8 is my fall back stable one so far. Obviously when you load a ROM, look at the Apps and if you don't see SU or SuperUser, it's not rooted. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: sternrulez

Jose0726

Dec 30, 2011
P.R
I can't upload the Odin One Click ROM, it's too much for my current situation, but here's the captivate-recovery-cwm5-kernel.tar file:

Since Samsung is never going to release a proper ICS build for us, from what I understand - let me repeat that: from what I understand everything is working with Gingerbread bootloaders, so that's the important aspect. Before you go flashing anything, you'll need to get the Captivate OFF Froyo of any version if you're still using it. So, update that thing using Samsung Kies to the latest version which is that KK4 ROM - that's all that's required.

Once you're done that, and you're "stock" then you would flash the captivate-recovery-cwm5-kernel.tar kernel using Odin (run Odin with Admin privilege, put the Captivate in download mode, connect it, when detected, click the PDA button in Odin to load that captivate-recovery-cwm5-kernel.tar file, then Start to flash it). Once that's done you have the same kernel for KK4 but with CWM ready to go when you are with a proper GB bootloader and you're set.

The only reason I mentioned the Odin One Click above was because I did a few things that "pooched" my Captivate and soft-bricked it at one point but recovered it with Odin and the One Click when Kies couldn't do anything at all. There's a thread around here with all the Odin One Click ROMs, that's where I got mine from.

tl;dr version:

- if you're running any Froyo anything, use Kies to do the upgrade to Gingerbread, NOT the Odin One Click. Kies will update the bootloader from Froyo to GB as required (the Odin One Click was part of what caused my soft-brick, so I learned from the experience)
- if you're already running any Gingerbread ROM, you already have the GB bootloader, so you can use the Odin One Click to go to a pure stock AT&T basic clean ROM as mentioned above
- once you're "stock" use Odin v1.85 to flash the captivate-recovery-cwm5-kernel.tar so you get the same stock kernel but CWM as well
- use CWM to install whatever ROM you want from that point on making sure the ROM archive(s) and any updates or whatever are copied to the internal storage

Personal suggestion: remove the microSD card from the Captivate before doing any flashing at all. Yes it's possible to read from that device (called the external SD in CWM), I simply don't recommend it, ever.

That's about it. The Odin One Click KK4 is not rooted, iirc, I can't say for certain at this moment either way. I only used it a few times to "save" me from the soft-brick. Now that CWM is in there, I've jumped from ROM to ROM over the past week or so but Doc's Master v8 is my fall back stable one so far. Obviously when you load a ROM, look at the Apps and if you don't see SU or SuperUser, it's not rooted. ;)

Thanks dude... I only have one question in all this. I network unlock my phone when it was on eclair, i updated to ginger via kies and it stayed unlock :) will i loose the unlock if i installed cmw and any rom?

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
Thanks dude... I only have one question in all this. I network unlock my phone when it was on eclair, i updated to ginger via kies and it stayed unlock :) will i loose the unlock if i installed cmw and any rom?

Can't say on that respect, mine is not even being used as a phone, actually - it's basically a DAP/PMP/PocketPC for me. ;)

Still can't find a service provider with a decent plan that I'd be willing to fork over some money for so, until I find one (if I ever do), this Captivate of mine won't even have a SIM in it.

b-eock

Dec 30, 2010
Dallas, Texas
You won't loose network unlock ever unless your EFS gets modified in anyway...

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

sternrulez

Nov 19, 2008

tl;dr version:

Thank you SO much for the links and all the time you put in to the explanation. I followed your suggestions, and now I'm running ICS Cyanogenmod 9 in dazzling full color!! You've made what could potentially be a very complicated process extremely easy...I wish I could thank your post 10-fold!! :) How is your ROM on battery life, btw? I was running CM 7 on my other Captivate, and it wasn't all that great on the battery...waiting to see how 9 works, but my girlfriend still insists it was because I had "too much junk" on the phone...lol! Thanks again!! :D

br0adband

Mar 28, 2008
Battery life using Doc's Master v8 is as expected, didn't do any extended testing with the CM9 nightly, but then again I'm on the original Samsung stock battery too so, it doesn't hold a full charge anymore like a brand new one would.

I'm hoping to get some cash together soon to get that Anker 2-pack w/charger on Amazon (the 1800 mAh batteries that everyone raves about). I thought about getting the 3500 mAh monster extended on off eBay but, as I'm still trying to locate that Trident Cyclops case (which you just sent me 2 PMs about, thanks), I figure having 2 batteries instead of one would still be a more efficient solution while still being able to keep the Captivate in a nice protective case.

Maybe I need to do some guides for people and put up a donate button to get me some batteries and that case, who knows. :D

Glad the instructions proved useful.

Reactions: sternrulez

Jose0726

Dec 30, 2011
P.R
Battery life using Doc's Master v8 is as expected, didn't do any extended testing with the CM9 nightly, but then again I'm on the original Samsung stock battery too so, it doesn't hold a full charge anymore like a brand new one would.

I'm hoping to get some cash together soon to get that Anker 2-pack w/charger on Amazon (the 1800 mAh batteries that everyone raves about). I thought about getting the 3500 mAh monster extended on off eBay but, as I'm still trying to locate that Trident Cyclops case (which you just sent me 2 PMs about, thanks), I figure having 2 batteries instead of one would still be a more efficient solution while still being able to keep the Captivate in a nice protective case.

Maybe I need to do some guides for people and put up a donate button to get me some batteries and that case, who knows. :D

Could any one give me a link to the cm9 ics. I recently flashed aokp and dark night but couldnt use my phone as i got a no network message and when try to ad apns settings were not saving :/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hope this helps...

tl;dr version: