Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Peter Poelman

Retired Administrator
Jan 19, 2003
Amsterdam
It is a sad day for this community.

In a series of mishaps and mistakes, best characterized as the sysadmin equivalent of a perfect storm, we lost more than 3 weeks of our database.

It all started when we decided to move posts to a whole new system of forums. In that process we screwed up. But we had made a backup just before, so we decided to go back to that, dropping the screwed-up database. Then it turned out that the most recent backup we made was truncated bacause of a memory limit, so it was unuseable.

This dropped us back to an older backup, which in this case was Over three weeks old!!!

This means that we lost:
  • All forum postings since October 4th
  • All new member registrations since October 4th
  • Records of donations since October 4th (this is recoverable...)
  • All News items (recoverable too)

If you have any important postings still on disk, in browser cache, or anywhere else, we'd like you to repost them.

Re-working the forum structure will still hapen, sometime later today, and without any further dramatic losses.

I apologize for this event, and we'll work even harder to make sure something like this will never happen again.

M4io

Dec 11, 2003
Antwerp
index.php was renamed to index-f***.php ?
thus when i go to xdaforums.com i see a directory structure ?

LumpiStefan

Retired Moderator
Jan 20, 2003
Stuttgart
www.romkitchen.de
That are really bad news.

I realized, that also the PM-Part have been gone. :-(

This was really a great bull****.
Also not nice to here, that you have so much work....
I think there are some more important things to do....

If I or anyone else could help you, just inform us....

Stefan

Peter Poelman

Retired Administrator
Jan 19, 2003
Amsterdam
LumpiStefan said:

That's sweet of you. Right now if all of us just keep posting good stuff and being positive then like any strong community, we'll use this setback to become stronger and better than ever before.

Hard work ahead, expect more (and this time positive) changes.

Reactions: Myrrhman

Mario Mapis

Jun 8, 2004
By chance, ...

...yesterday night I launched a full synchronization of the home page, with a 3-level links deep detail, to check the forum during a flight this morning.
Would that help? :roll:

GoldenSands

Sep 8, 2004
Dhahran
www.aljawwal.com
Sorry to hear that, I was really surprised when I was checking up the forum, all threads are old. I was looking for the screen rotation thread to install it in my xda.
Isn't there any way to recover the last 3 weeks data?
Let us know if we can do any thing, you have all our support.

Peter Poelman

Retired Administrator
Jan 19, 2003
Amsterdam
Good news

Some threads will be partially reappearing: itsme is working on a script that will use the Google-cache as our backup. Not all will be well, but stay tuned for news...

DenisJ

May 19, 2003
Hi all ... i'm so sorry to hear this ... it's the live...

Anyway i just save a page "PDA2K Rom Update from clubimate_recovered" all msg rom first page ... i hope this will help a little 0.0001% :)

DenisJ

Attachments

• pda2k_rom_update_from_clubimate_recovered_pag1.mht.txt
    32.8 KB · Views: 98

DenisJ

May 19, 2003
It's true ... :-( i was olso at 60 posts about ...
... now i'll repost a lot :)

DenisJ

cruisin-thru

Jul 20, 2003
Gloucestershire England.
Just noticed that if I attempt to access www.xda-developers.com I get your message about data being lost and to try again later, however if I use the link to the front page which I have saved in favorites, I am able to access the board. Will this stop people accessing the board from a results list in Google or similar??

If I click on the link in this text I get this......

Oh ****....

We're having problems, and we may have lost some data. Please check back later.. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It is a sad day for this community.

In a series of mishaps and mistakes, best characterized as the sysadmin equivalent of a perfect storm, we lost more than 3 weeks of our database.

It all started when we decided to move posts to a whole new system of forums. In that process we screwed up. But we had made a backup just before, so we decided to go back to that, dropping the screwed-up database. Then it turned out that the most recent backup we made was truncated bacause of a memory limit, so it was unuseable.

This dropped us back to an older backup, which in this case was Over three weeks old!!!

This means that we lost:
    • All forum postings since October 4th
    • All new member registrations since October 4th
    • Records of donations since October 4th (this is recoverable...)
    • All News items (recoverable too)

If you have any important postings still on disk, in browser cache, or anywhere else, we'd like you to repost them.

Re-working the forum structure will still hapen, sometime later today, and without any further dramatic losses.

I apologize for this event, and we'll work even harder to make sure something like this will never happen again.
    am i the only one who in the process lost all memory of what happend since oct 4 ? ;) :p
    LumpiStefan said:

That's sweet of you. Right now if all of us just keep posting good stuff and being positive then like any strong community, we'll use this setback to become stronger and better than ever before.

Hard work ahead, expect more (and this time positive) changes.
    Please restart SRS thread!!!