[Ep4D][Rom][Cwm][Odin]TweakStock v1.5 UPDATED 4/10/12

Search This thread

blarrick

Jun 26, 2011
North Hollywood
I'll look into it, but truth be told such a task is beyond my capabilities currently. Once I get a few other things done I'll give it a better look.

Don't worry about it dude, you're still learning and honestly you and imnuts' are probably the only 2 devs left on the Charge. I thought Danalo/Imoseyon were survivors and i thought they'd stick around but i was wrong :[

We're all glad and incredibly grateful to have you devving the Charge, I'm running this awesome ROM right now and couldn't be happier. Sure, Titanium still isn't working 100% but I'm fairly certain that's just an app compatibility issue with our new GB version.

Thanks again, and keep at it. Looking foward to future releases from you :]

projekt8e

Dec 25, 2007
damnit...lol, that means I have to figure out why mine grabs the screen shot while in the process of going to the home screen. Ok, well at least I know it will function properly with this rom. Are you using the one with the kernel or without?

shrike1978

Jun 28, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Don't worry about it dude, you're still learning and honestly you and imnuts' are probably the only 2 devs left on the Charge. I thought Danalo/Imoseyon were survivors and i thought they'd stick around but i was wrong :[

Imo didn't leave the scene by choice. He changed jobs and his job was how he had so many different phones. When he left, he had to give them all back. Not sure where Danalo went though.

stranula

May 28, 2011
Ann Arbor
So I found a slight graphical bug-when you go to Messaging, press the menu button, and then press "delete threads". The text for the buttons for "cancel" and "delete" seem to be slightly out of place.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium

You are correct, they are out of place and white on a light background. I'm not sure what is causing this. From what I see, the coding is correct, but I'm probably missing something. In the mean time, it is thankfully something you don't see often or for very long, so I personally can live with it.

BattsNotIncld

Oct 25, 2011
Made the jump over from Infinity and loving it! Infinity was great but too much instability as I was getting 2-3 hotboots a day plus random FC's on other programs that I couldn't seem to fix.

I think this is probably the best option in terms of ROM's for the Charge at this point in time, given that it is close to stock with some sweet tweaks and a nice theme. Once a custom lean kernel can be developed from source I'm sure that will change, but I'll be happily running TweakStock 1.0 til then!

One request: does anyone have the Android Keyboard 2.3.7 (not sure of the version number) apk? It's the one included in infinity. I'd like to install that one, as I like it better than Swype due to language options and overall appearance.

Last edited:

inkdaddy66

Nov 29, 2010
SanJose,CA
Made the jump over from Infinity and loving it! Infinity was great but too much instability as I was getting 2-3 hotboots a day plus random FC's on other programs that I couldn't seem to fix.

I think this is probably the best option in terms of ROM's for the Charge at this point in time, given that it is close to stock with some sweet apk tweaks and a nice theme. Once a custom lean kernel can be developed from source I'm sure that will change, but I'll be happily running TweakStock 1.0 til then!

One request: does anyone have the Android Keyboard 2.3.7 (not sure of the version number) apk? It's the one included in infinity. I'd like to install that one, as I like it better than Swype due to language options and overall appearance.

Are you talking about this keyboard?
SC20111227-105054.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE - see here for an EP4D update - Tweaked 1.5.

Over the last month or two I decided I would take a crack at learning some things, and so far it seems to have progressed nicely. Given the sorts of things that I tried to figure out, posting something that summarizes the culmination of said learnings seemed appropriate. If nothing else, I figured some would find it nice to have a little more variety as far as ROM choices are concerned. That being said, what is posted here is essentially stock EP4D, with some bells and whistles thrown in - and a pretty face thanks to stranula. Thanks also go out to skydeaner on IRC and gunnermike53 for offering up some server space for files.

I AM IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS (GOOD OR BAD) AS A RESULT OF FLASHING OR ATTEMPTING TO FLASH WHAT IS POSTED HERE! As an additional disclaimer - I still feel as if I am pretty new to all of this, but this has worked for me and a few others that were kind enough to try. That being said, as always YMMV.

I'm not entirely sure what the best way is to set this all up, but here's a look at what I did to get to this point. I started with the deodexed/zipaligned EP4D posted here, then attempted a debloat. then attempted a debloat. I haven't done much of that sort if thing prior to this, but it seems to have gone okay (and I welcome suggestions on what else should be or what should not have been removed). That being said, in case there is something missing that you wanted I included a .zip of all the deodexed /system/app apks in the download section at the bottom of this post. Then, using the work done on Infinity, GummyCharged, and Eclipse as examples, as well as various guides found on xda and information found through repeated Google searches, I began my attempts at modifiying a number of files. This was quite the learning process (smali is equal parts comprehensible and baffling), and while I am unsure if the methods I ended up using were the best choice, the end result was they worked, so I was happy. See the changelog in post 2 below for a list of the ends such modifications achieved.

If there is anything you would like to see (or wish wasn't there) on this list, let me know. I can't promise I'll do anything about it, but such requests keep me motivated and learning - and thats the whole reason this ROM came about in the first place (it all started with figuring out how to modify the power menu).

You will need to have either CWM (version 5.0.2.7 can be found here, but earlier versions like 4.0.1.4 will work fine as well) already on your phone or ODIN already on your computer, and I would strongly recommend doing a data wipe/factory reset within CWM before flashing either of the CWM .zips (that's what I've been doing at least and I have had no problems).
    Also - I am no longer bundling my repacked kernel in anything, as I have found the 0130 PBJ kernel to be far superior. If you choose to use the repacked kernel, MAKE SURE voodoo lagfix is completely disabled (i.e. /data, /dbdata, /cache, and /system all need to be rfs, i.e. NOT ext4) BEFORE flashing!!! For those interested, the experimental repacked kernel is essentially JUST THE STOCK EP4D kernel - with 2 edits that deal with how adb interacts with the phone and speeding up the media scan at bootup. That being said, go with the PBJ kernel. Seriously.

MY GENERAL RECOMMENDATION:
    ODIN back to stock EP4D BEFORE you flash anything. It just makes for far fewer problems.

CWM Installation instructions:
    - Backup your current setup/data
    - Download file and place on sdcard
    - Boot into CWM recovery
    - If flashing full ROM package, wipe data/factory reset (Recommended - not necessary depending on your situation I suppose)
    - If flashing v1.1 patch, make sure to ALREADY BE ON v1.0 and wipe cache/dalvik (again, just my recommendation)
    - If flashing v1.4 patch, make sure to ALREADY BE ON v1.1 and wipe cache/dalvik (again, just my recommendation)
    - If flashing experimental kernel - you better not be ext4!
    - I recommend mounting /system (so it should say "unmount" after system)
    - Install the .zip you put on your sdcard

ODIN Installation instructions:
    - Download file on to computer and unzip it (w/ 7-zip or the like)
    - Put phone into download mode
    - Connect phone to computer (assuming all is well with the drivers)
    - Open ODIN (I have been using 1.83)
    - Place the .tar.md5 file in PDA!
    - Flash away

---DOWNLOAD LINKS - CWM---

TweakStock v1.4 PATCH ONLY
    NOTE: You MUST be on TweakStock v1.1 for this to work, AND YOU MUST BE DEODEXED! It only includes the files modified since the 1.1 release. This needs to be flashed in CWM recovery, and I would recommend wiping cache/dalvik before flashing.
    md5: E6D4305801ED32CCEB96A065C790CBE3

TweakStock v1.4 ROM only
    md5: F520054CB26FCA57DD09F5C9FCFB4DEE

TweakStock v1.4 w/ PBJ kernel
    NOTE: This includes the 0130 version of PBJ kernel - thanks go to imnuts!
    md5: 1C46736F3619A241AD6C707BCBEE4203

TweakStock v1.4 w/ PBJ kernel & ext4 conversion
    NOTE: For those wanting ext4, this will convert your partitions. Thanks to imnuts for the necessary conversion tools!
    NOTE2: THIS WILL WIPE YOUR DATA! Also, if you are already ext4, there is no need to use this version.
    md5: 6152D0ACDE5470716D73B96CD6C2500F

---DOWNLOAD LINKS - ODIN---

TweakStock v1.4 ROM only
    NOTE: This includes ONLY the ROM - no kernel, recovery, or modems.
    NOTE 2: There was a minor bug in SystemUI... need to flash the v1.4 SystemUI.apk minor bug fix in Extras to fix it.
    NOTE 3: If you want the semi-alterable power menu mod, you'll need to flash the v1.4 Power Menu Mod found in Extras
    md5: 75514827A6814DF1EBFBDCFB04537FCA

TweakStock v1.4 w/ PBJ kernel
    NOTE: This includes the 0130 PBJ kernel, but NO modems or recovery.
    NOTE 2: There was a minor bug in SystemUI... need to flash the v1.4 SystemUI.apk minor bug fix in Extras to fix it.
    NOTE 3: If you want the semi-alterable power menu mod, you'll need to flash the v1.4 Power Menu Mod found in Extras
    md5: 2E292B5BF37242521716AE9468E9092C

---EXTRAS---

v1.4 Power Menu Mod
    NOTE: For those that would rather have the option of the full or recently shortened power menu
    md5: 85DECD03A589CCA65BD8222F727BE419

v1.4 SystemUI.apk minor bug fix
    NOTE: This fixes some odd behavior with the data quickpanel toggle.
    md5: 6CBD8C9ECD9AA241CC3FE42557F9B20B

Circle battery mod
    For those that might want a different battery look - this comes from the other black and blue battery option by stranula. Flash in CWM.
    md5: BFD80CB1AD84356102BA972F054FE6E2

Original battery mod
    For those that might not like the different battery look and want to go back to what it was originally. Flash in CWM.
    md5: 62297CEFBE3E1BEE7E1582F8A18D585D

EP4D Deodexed System Apps
    NOTE: This is NOT CWM flashable!
    md5: 5A33FF377816C1D53C4631AEEE0B1525

Empty CWM file
    NOTE: This is to flash system apps from the above file ONLY - simply take whatever apps you want to flash from the above .zip and put them in the app folder that can be found in the system folder in the empty cwm file .zip. Also, if you select an app that is already on your phone, it WILL overwrite it. What does that matter? If it was modded or themed... well, it won't be any more. It'll be stock. You've been warned.
    md5: 8DA8ACE9D5851D5109697C7F867B3B17

-------------------------------------------------------

---OLD DOWNLOAD LINKS---

---DOWNLOAD LINKS v1.1 - CWM---

TweakStock v1.1 PATCH ONLY
    NOTE: You MUST be on TweakStock v1.0 for this to work. It only includes the files modified since that initial release. This needs to be flashed in CWM recovery, and I would recommend wiping cache/dalvik before flashing.
    md5: 1E1AC5B92EEF89203D676023771D594E

TweakStock v1.1 + experimental repacked EP4D kernel
    NOTE: You MUST be rfs for this. If you are ext4, you WILL have problems.
    md5: E91CDC369BE52FF6FFE855C01301E482

TweakStock v1.1
    NOTE: This does NOT include a kernel.
    md5: 3B2995088AF46F7BDD7B0EE1DF7DF3F6

---DOWNLOAD LINKS v1.1 - ODIN---

TweakStock v1.1
    NOTE: This does NOT include a kernel or recovery, but it does include the EP4D modems. This should also wipe your data.
    md5: 8F4A63DBF7471D3D19019403EBDB479B

TweakStock v1.1 + experimental repacked EP4D kernel
    NOTE: This also includes the latest recovery 5.0.2.7 found here, as well as the EP4D modems. This should also wipe your data.
    md5: 235558C71037CAF00041E8BA29840536

---EXTRAS v1.1---

A Different Boot Animation
    NOTE: This is simply the boot animation for the Samsung Stratosphere - and was something I had available. I tried it and it worked, so for those that are tired of the Droid Eye here's an option for something different. This must be flashed in CWM, and it will .bak your existing bootsamsung.qmg and bootsamsungloop.qmg in /system/media if you want to go back to the eye.
    md5: 6ACAFD869453260562D3D464C294F0F5

---DOWNLOAD LINKS v1.0 - CWM---

TweakStock v1.0
    NOTE: This does NOT include a kernel.
    md5: F1456D8A99F3AE645C42E2DFAED700E1

TweakStock v1.0 + experimental repacked EP4D kernel
    NOTE: You MUST be rfs for this. If you are ext4, you WILL have problems.
    md5: 7FFADB4A01DB76D2EF3BCB11858150E5

---DOWNLOAD LINKS v1.0 - ODIN---
    NOTE: I very briefly tested these, but I could have missed something - let me know if there are problems.

TweakStock v1.0
    NOTE: This does NOT include a kernel or recovery, but it does include the EP4D modems. This should also wipe your data.
    md5: F1C6CABC67927F960888B92E76378944

TweakStock v1.0 + experimental repacked EP4D kernel
    NOTE: This also includes the latest recovery 5.0.2.7 found here, as well as the EP4D modems. This should also wipe your data.
    md5: 418AF686668C87785569CF9345C92EAB

Let me know if there are any problems.
    THANKS GO TO:
    imnuts - far too many reasons to list
    stranula - for the great theme work
    syaoran - smali tips
    sbrissen - even more smali tips
    gunnermike53 - pointers and server space
    sircrazy (IRC) - for playing idea raquetball with me
    tonsit (IRC) - motivational mod requester extraordinaire
    nitsuj17 - tips and advice
    lidroid - amazing quickpanel mod
    the rest of TeamSbrissenMod
    all involved with infinity and gummy charged
    all the folks on IRC
    anyone else I likely forgot

Beyond the contributions of the above individuals, there were a number of guides found on xda or via google that were used along the way. Some representative samples include:
    Create 14 scrollable quickpanel toggles
    Disable low battery notification
    Remove clock from statusbar
    Extended power menu
    build.prop tweaks
    A bunch of others that have become buried in my browser history...

---CHANGELOG---

Version 1.4 - 2/4/12
    - Added in Download Crutch to allow download of wider variety of files (thanks to the unknown-to-me maker of this)
    - Added in TweakPapers thanks to gunnermike53 - some nifty wallpapers
    - Changed the transparency in Mms.apk to slightly less transparent (with help from stranula)
    - Cleaned up the underlying code of a number of toggles that were misbehaving
    ***** While it works fine, flashlight still needs to be addressed somewhat
    - Added end-user options for hiding various icons in statusbar - see Notes below for info
    ***** Bluetooth
    ***** E911
    ***** Vibrate/Silent
    ***** Alarm
    - Added end-user options for enabling/disabling low/full battery notification
    - Added in stay-awake-while-charging feature (thanks to imnuts for some helpful tips)
    - Disabled some notifications
    ***** Data off warning at bootup
    ***** Confirmation alert when USB connecting phone to PC
    - Custom carrier text option - make your own instead of choosing from my choices (credit to TSM for a model to follow on this)
    ***** Requires reboot for change in pulldown to take effect
    - Rearranged Display Settings to hopefully make the new options seem more organized
    - Volume rocker no longer wakes phone when lockscreen disabled
    - Custom shutdown animation (credit to various threads and Infinity for images and information on how to implement this)
    - Included custom boot animation (Blu Plazma II by JaeKar99), but requires supporting kernel (like PBJ...)
    ***** To change, make sure new boot animation is saved as sanim.zip and place it in /system/media/
    ***** JaeKar99 has made some AMAZING ones that can be found here
    ***** These come in varying formats - see the post by bvsbutthd101 here for some quick tips on how to approach things
    - Altered some default settings (can be seen after data wipe) - for example:
    ***** Wi-Fi off on first boot
    ***** USB Debugging enabled
    - Fixed/edited Dialer thanks to gunnermike53!
    - End user has option to removed data and airplane mode toggles from the extended power menu (thanks to Endless2232)
    - Zip aligned

Version 1.1 - 1/6/12
    - Added in a few wallpapers to wallpaper gallery
    - Minor theme edits
    - Ported over the mod by lidroid (found here), but without using lidroid-res.apk (everything was merged into framework-res.apk)
    ***** This mod gives you 14 scrollable quickpanel toggles accessible through the pulldown menu
    ***** You can modify the availability, order, and some other things using Quickpanel settings from the Settings menu
    ***** TIP: Try long-pressing the toggles... in particular the Data toggle. It will bring you close to a screen that will allow to switch between 3G and 4G - closest thing to a toggle for that currently
    - Added back in the alarm icon in statusbar
    - Can now select if clock moves or not (rotate screen to force the change)
    - Can now select lockscreen and pulldown carrier text from three options (latter requires reboot to see change)
    - Can now disable lockscreen in Display Settings
    - Updated superuser
    - Added in grey-themed keyboard (thanks to imnuts and Infinity)
    - Removed startup/shutdown sounds
    - Zip aligned

Version 1.0 - Initial Release
    - Modified power menu (added recovery and download, changed appearance/order)
    - Disabled low battery notification (you will still see a message, but no pop-up)
    - Disabled full battery notification
    - Removed e911 and alarm icons from statusbar
    - Removed clock from statusbar (appears after date to the left when pulldown is showing)
    - Altered lockscreen and pulldown carrier text (to plug the rom name lol)
    - Enabled CRT animation
    - Edited/cleaned up the default bookmarks of the stock browser
    - Accurate battery mod (modified from Black and Blue theme)
    - Added AOSP as a lockscreen option in settings (AND kept puzzle and glass!)[/LIST]
    - Edited build.prop
    - Added in modified camera.apk by substanceD (found here and themed by stranula as part of Black and Blue)
    - Added in App Widget Picker by boombuler (found here)
    - Added in Superuser/su binary by ChainsDD (found here)
    - Added busybox put together by imnuts (found here)
    - With stranula's permission added in the relevant Black and Blue .apks with a few minor changes (for more information on what this includes see this thread)
    - Added in imnuts's CWM recovery to one of the ODIN variants (found here)
    - Zip aligned
    Just to keep folks in the loop - Yes the plan is to update to FP1. I'm still pretty green all things considered so the process tends to be pretty slow. I actually had an update ready to go last week, but then FP1 started rolling out so I held off for the time being. Gotta love timing :)
    NOTES:
    While I am unsure how relevant it is now, I have encountered an occasional odd issue in the past with CWM after flashing that seems to require adb to resolve.
    • The issue is that after flashing and then booting into recovery, I occasionally get a "can't mount /sdcard" error. Apparently that in itself is a known issue, and it is listed as such in the CWM recovery thread.
      The fix requires you to perform the following commands using ADB:

Code:
      adb shell
      umount /sdcard
      rm -f /sdcard
      mkdir /sdcard
      exit
    • If you do not have ADB installed and you are having the "can't mount /sdcard" error after flashing - I have a possible workaround for you. Download the ADBsdcardFix.zip here - then extract the folder (should be fine to extract it to your desktop) and attach your phone to the computer via USB (I did this while the phone was already in CWM). Open the newly-extracted ADB folder, and then double-click on the CWMsdcardFix.bat - something should pop up on the screen for a brief second, which is completely normal. After double-clicking the .bat file, on the phone go to mounts and storage, then select mount /sdcard - and it now should work!
    • Either approach here (adb code or the stuff in ADBsdcardFix.zip) has worked every time I have needed it, although again in my experience I have not been able to cull the rhyme or reason out of when that need will present itself.
    The statusbar tweaks all require a little effort on your part for changes to take effect. All changes can be elicited with a reboot, BUT for most there are other ways:
    - Move statusbar clock -- get screen to rotate
    - Bluetooth/vibrate-silent/alarm icons -- just change their state (on/off or vibrate/sound, etc)
    - E911 -- Go into Settings > Location and security... you don't need to do anything else, you should see the change
    - Carrier text -- Lockscreens change automatically, but the pulldown only changes with reboot currently
    It's all good. I'm just big into the mods and stuff that sets a custom phone out from the rest.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA App

Soon, very soon...