Long press to get FN+Key

Search This thread

eran.chason@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2006
spore
Hi all, I just got my Snap after having the Dash for 3 years. The Snap is great but I have one problem...

On the Dash, when typing, long press will input the Alt+key combination, e.g. when long press on the "W" key it will input "1". The Snap can't do it and I need to press the FN key

Any way to change this?

Thanks,
Eran

Psmit

Oct 28, 2007
Hi all, I just got my Snap after having the Dash for 3 years. The Snap is great but I have one problem...

On the Dash, when typing, long press will input the Alt+key combination, e.g. when long press on the "W" key it will input "1". The Snap can't do it and I need to press the FN key

Any way to change this?

Thanks,
Eran

That would be a great improvement! I had this same feature on my Diamond. I like the Snap keyboard, but you just have to push the FN key too much during some regular typing!

lelopet

Dec 6, 2008
Prague
This depends on keyboard driver, what's always a dll library written by a manufacturer specifically for each device.

Similar problem has Touch Pro 2.

E.g. unlike Rose, where press+hold function can be simply remapped to another character/function.

JC6

Jan 20, 2008
OK I think I've provisionally got this sorted - you have to edit the keymap file using a text editor (either on the device using e.g. Total Commander or (probably more easy) copy the file to your PC using Activesync, edit it then copy it back to your device). On my snap the file is \Windows\eT9.Maple.wwe.kmap.txt - might be different depending on your ROM and language settings.

Before we go any further, make a backup of the file because you can get into all sorts of problems if you mess it up. It will be recoverable with a hard reset if necessary, but you probably want to avoid that...

The process is pretty self explanatory when you look at the kmap.txt file, but as an example:

Look at the entry for the R key:

{R R R 3 3 0x03}

As stated in the beginning of the kmap.txt file (on my device anyway), the third character in the above entry is "VK2 -> key to interpret when for press and hold". So simply change this to:

{R R 3 3 3 0x03}

Reboot your device and try it in messaging - when you hold the R key you will get a 3. Now you need to do this for every key! I haven't done it for the whole keymap yet - this might be the sort of thing you want to do personally, it's not THAT big a job I guess.

Cheers.

JC6

Jan 20, 2008
P.S. I also used this to remap the tab key, which I don't find that useful.

eran.chason@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2006
spore
THANK!!!

this works beautifully!!! now the keyboard is as it should be the first place

Attached is the file for the WWE with long press supported for all keys

Attachments

• eT9.Maple.wwe.kmap.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 218

miker2431

Jan 26, 2008
Bristol, CT
Has anyone remade the above file for the US keyboard? In other words, here is the layout for my keyboard:

Q1 W2 E3 R% T+ Y( U) I- O_ P"
A* S4 D5 F6 G~ H/ J? K$ L= ,@ (DEL)
(CAPS) Z7 X8 C9 V' B& N! M; .: (ENT)
(ALT) TAB0 SYM# (SPACE)

Last edited:

Greg530

May 2, 2007
<strike>Sorry, dumb question but it's been a long time since I tweaked around in \Windows
It says I don't have permission. Neither locally, nor through the PC.
What to do?</strike>

Nevermind, used Total Commander to do it!

Last edited:

Greg530

May 2, 2007
Strange thing though - a long press on "Q" locks the keypad. Yet there is no code for "locking" in kmap.txt.
That would be sweet to have on inner circle! A one-click lock. Hmmmmmm.

moonlanding

Nov 15, 2007
Taking control of the damn file

Hi folks. Can anyone help me out on how to get control of the .txt file?

greg530 has clearly done it using Total Commander but I can't get it it work at all, either on the PC or the device itself. Refuses to be edited or deleted or have it's permissions changed.

tia

JC6

Jan 20, 2008
Strange thing though - a long press on "Q" locks the keypad. Yet there is no code for "locking" in kmap.txt.
That would be sweet to have on inner circle! A one-click lock. Hmmmmmm.

You can assign a single press lock to the Windows Live Messenger button if you like - use VJDeviceLock and the instructions here.

bubble

Feb 10, 2005
Is there a key code to launch PIE?
I don't need the Messenger shortcut and I'd like to replace it:

{0xE4 0x96 0x8D 0x8D 0x00 0xff} // VK_IME_APP_CAMERA 0x8D, 0x96 = IM