[INVESTIGATION] Battery drain bug in 2.3.4 (JVP build for now)

Do you experience battery drain?

• Yes, Android OS is getting crazy!

Votes: 55 24.9%
  • Yes, and I think I know why!

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Yes, but I don't know the cause!

Votes: 40 18.1%
  • No!

Votes: 113 51.1%

• Total voters
Search This thread

gabryeludrea

Dec 22, 2009
It seems that our beloved Samsung did it again!
Now we can enjoy a fully functional, long waited, Gingerbread 2.3.4.
Although some sources say that it is only a leak, the JVP build seems to behave really well, according to the reports of many users.
Gingerbread 2.3.4 was build in order to fix some Android bugs and make the interface even faster. We have seen that the second task is a success, the user experience and crazy Quadrant scores being the best witnesses. But what about the first task, are there any android bugs in this build? Maybe we could find out together.

The key purpose of this thread is to find out if that Android OS bug, which made Gingerbread users a hard life, is still present.

You can help this investigation by keeping an eye on the battery stats and reporting the consumption (in percents, of course) of the Android OS. It is even better if you can add some screenshots.
Please don't forget to mention:
- The ROM and kernel you are using.
- Some apps or games you are using (known to fire this bug on previous builds).
- Whether you have autorotation on or off (some users reported they had no drain if kept off on 2.3.3 builds).
- What type of usage you applied to the phone (not really necessary, only you are kind enough).

If you have any kind of suggestion regarding some modifications for this thread you are welcomed to post them. It will helps us become more efficient.
Thank you very much for your effort!

EARLY CONCLUSIONS*:
- Battery life is indeed an improvement on JVP 2.3.4
- The Android OS bug is less aggressive. The reports show a maximum consumption of approx. 20%. We can't say for sure if we can talk about a bug anymore. Anyway, the drainage is not so bad, comparing to 2.3.3 versions.
- The Android System consumption is a bit scary (15-20%) especially after a flash. However, it tends to stabilize in time.
- A clean flash, factory resets, avoiding apps restoration with Titanium or similar, reducing consumers when you don't need them always helps. With or without battery draining bugs.
- JVP is a better alternative for previous versions due to improvements for battery life, speed and stability, even if it's a beta release. So you should go for it, it really is an upgrade!

*The statements above are based on reports and poll results collected until now and they may change. I take no responsibility if you will find those informations incorrect or incomplete. Flash JVP at your own risk, you could loose data or brick your phone, although there aren't reports that say that. Follow the instructions and you should be ok!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kekel

got-petrol

Sep 26, 2010
wombwell uk
is this a new craze insted of train spotting or stamp colecting ....battery watching ....most of us have got a life and have better things to do then watch how much a battery uses ...do what i do charge the phone and enjoy these phones do use loads of battery

Reactions: illusion786

lgsshedden

Android OS running at 3%
using Damian's GTO Alpha kernel for JVP and Brotuck's gingerMod ROM.
Autorotation off.
Consistent q scores in the 2600 range, phone running very smoothly and very fast in daily use (internet, twitter, pics, camera, messaging, phone), 130+ apps installed, no issues. Seems a much better base firmware than any of the 2.3.3 variants.

Reactions: gabryeludrea

Tatsuya79

Apr 9, 2011
It's a bit early to investigate this stuff.
Wait for Samsung to release 2.3.4 sources and devs to make some stable kernels based on this.
Until this time many stuff can be broken (well, you're free to beta test though :p ).

gabryeludrea

Dec 22, 2009
Updated with 2.3.4 I9000XXJVP,CSC = I9000OXAJVP and kept it on without sim and without even touching but fully charged. The battery life was just for one and half days.

Keep in mind that after a reflash the battery life will stabilize after a while.
In my opinion, the cell standby may be the cause. If left without SIM, Airplane mode off, your phone will continue to search for signal and this really drains the battery.
If you can make a test again, check the battery usage and post your conclusion.

Thanks for your contribution!

gabryeludrea

Dec 22, 2009
is this a new craze insted of train spotting or stamp colecting ....battery watching ....most of us have got a life and have better things to do then watch how much a battery uses ...do what i do charge the phone and enjoy these phones do use loads of battery

This kind of activity is normal in community, especially here in XDA.
It will be useful for those kind of people who don't like to experiment in order to find some answers.
We could do like you but, what if we need to charge it again, after 8 hours, without using the phone?
That's why this "new craze" exists, because we want to avoid that kind of problems.

gabryeludrea

Dec 22, 2009
It's a bit early to investigate this stuff.
Wait for Samsung to release 2.3.4 sources and devs to make some stable kernels based on this.
Until this time many stuff can be broken (well, you're free to beta test though :p ).

You're right but the 2.3.4 concentrates on fixing bugs, so even in beta stage we should see some changes.
Anyway, the thread is intended to test the firmware regarding this problem, so it can become an indicator for people asking weather they will experience this problem of they can enjoy using their phone without even thinking about this.

gabryeludrea

Dec 22, 2009
Android OS running at 3%
Autorotation off.
Consistent q scores in the 2600 range, phone running very smoothly and very fast in daily use (internet, twitter, pics, camera, messaging, phone), 130+ apps installed, no issues. Seems a much better base firmware than any of the 2.3.3 variants.

Thanks for your feedback, happy user!:p

mammenj

Sep 12, 2010
I must say that 2.3.4 battery is performing better than 2.3.3 so far.
After 11 hours with gps and auto rotate on, battery still have 30% of juice left.

EDT: Attached screenshots

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Attachments

• SC20110613-192745.jpg
    SC20110613-192745.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 587
  • SC20110613-192753.jpg
    SC20110613-192753.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 543
Last edited:

gtluis

Sep 21, 2010
Dallas
Comming from Froyo JPY to stock deodexed JVP, I have noticed a higher battery drain.

I lost 13% overnight, I had 21% battery use on cell standby (6hours of use). and I noticed something very strange, android system has a 18% battery use with only 5 minutes running, WTF???

I'm using stock deodexed rom from ramad, Dark core kernel and screen off animation. that's all I've changed to this rom, no games, and a few apps like titanium backup and atk.

When I tapped on the android system there was a huge list of included packages, I will list them here, maybe one of them (or all together) is causing that huge battery use:

com.samsung.InputEventApp
Service mode
Software update
Google Backup Transport (actually, I turned off google backup, idk why this is here)
Settings Storage
Mobile tracker
Account and Sync Settings
EncryptApp
Task manager
Error
Perso
com.sec.android.app.lcdtest
VPN Services
Factory Test
wssyncmlnps
PopupuiReceiver
Preconfig
BluetoothTest
Self Test Mode
WlanTest
Status Bar
Settings
Mobile tracker settings
Android System
DRM content
MTP Application
PhoneSetupWizard
Security Storage
Licence Settings
PhoneUtil

Those are all......

Last edited:

gabryeludrea

Dec 22, 2009
Comming from Froyo JPY to stock deodexed JVP, I have noticed a higher battery drain.

I lost 13% overnight, I had 21% battery use on cell standby (6hours of use). and I noticed something very strange, android system has a 18% battery use with only 5 minutes running, WTF???

I'm using stock deodexed rom from ramad, Dark core kernel and battery off animation. that's all I've changed to this rom, no games, and a few apps like titanium backup and atk.

When I tapped on the android system there was a huge list of included packages, I will list them here, maybe one of them is causing that huge battery use:

com.samsung.InputEventApp
Service mode
Software update
Google Backup Transport (actually, I turned off google backup, idk why this is here)
Settings Storage
Mobile tracker
Account and Sync Settings
EncryptApp
Task manager
Error
Perso
com.sec.android.app.lcdtest
VPN Services
Factory Test
wssyncmlnps
PopupuiReceiver
Preconfig
BluetoothTest
Self Test Mode
WlanTest
Status Bar
Settings
Mobile tracker settings
Android System
DRM content
MTP Application
PhoneSetupWizard
Security Storage
Licence Settings
PhoneUtil

Those are all......

It seems that you have a normal consumption on Android System. Also that app list is present on every ROM which has all system apps. On lite ROMs you can get a smaller list, because some of those apps are removed by the chefs.
Maybe your network coverage is not that good
After a flash, the battery needs stabilization, until then it can drain fast. Try to recalibrate it. Please tell me if you need a good guide.
Try a lite ROM. Maybe you will experience a good Android System consumption.

Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:

hudster2001

Apr 22, 2010
Look at the poll results so far 72% say they have no battery issue, so it must be the apps on your phone that are at fault for any unusual battery drain.

Look at your own apps first before you blame the rom, mostly it's not the rom that's at fault.

electrotune1200

Dec 23, 2010
Sydney

When you're not really using your phone, Android System will have a higher battery use percentage, because nothing else is using battery.

Long periods of idle, you will see higher Cell Stanby and Android System percentages.

The more you use the phone, those percentages will lower.

SnoopyDog

Sep 27, 2008
Close to Nuremberg
This is what i had with the previous JVO (2.3.3) and not using any task killer anymore. I moderately used the phone, made some calls, wrote some SMS, had blutooth on in the car, listening mp3. Ah, and i set display brightness to "auto" always, i don't use the manual setting with lowest brightness value anymore.

But i also can get the battery down in less than a day... ;)

I'll give the new 2.3.4 a try.

Attachments

• SC20110604-013001.jpg
    SC20110604-013001.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:

nyarnon

Apr 29, 2007
It's funny to see that there is always somebody who needs to torture the board with reinventing the battery wheel. Strange battery behavior usually shows up (and is often dependent on them) in threads with special roms or kernels. The only thing this thread will brings us is more of the same on how to save juice if you don't want to fork for a larger/extra battery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It seems that our beloved Samsung did it again!
    Now we can enjoy a fully functional, long waited, Gingerbread 2.3.4.
    Although some sources say that it is only a leak, the JVP build seems to behave really well, according to the reports of many users.
    Gingerbread 2.3.4 was build in order to fix some Android bugs and make the interface even faster. We have seen that the second task is a success, the user experience and crazy Quadrant scores being the best witnesses. But what about the first task, are there any android bugs in this build? Maybe we could find out together.

The key purpose of this thread is to find out if that Android OS bug, which made Gingerbread users a hard life, is still present.

You can help this investigation by keeping an eye on the battery stats and reporting the consumption (in percents, of course) of the Android OS. It is even better if you can add some screenshots.
    Please don't forget to mention:
    - The ROM and kernel you are using.
    - Some apps or games you are using (known to fire this bug on previous builds).
    - Whether you have autorotation on or off (some users reported they had no drain if kept off on 2.3.3 builds).
    - What type of usage you applied to the phone (not really necessary, only you are kind enough).

If you have any kind of suggestion regarding some modifications for this thread you are welcomed to post them. It will helps us become more efficient.
    Thank you very much for your effort!

EARLY CONCLUSIONS*:
    - Battery life is indeed an improvement on JVP 2.3.4
    - The Android OS bug is less aggressive. The reports show a maximum consumption of approx. 20%. We can't say for sure if we can talk about a bug anymore. Anyway, the drainage is not so bad, comparing to 2.3.3 versions.
    - The Android System consumption is a bit scary (15-20%) especially after a flash. However, it tends to stabilize in time.
    - A clean flash, factory resets, avoiding apps restoration with Titanium or similar, reducing consumers when you don't need them always helps. With or without battery draining bugs.
    - JVP is a better alternative for previous versions due to improvements for battery life, speed and stability, even if it's a beta release. So you should go for it, it really is an upgrade!

*The statements above are based on reports and poll results collected until now and they may change. I take no responsibility if you will find those informations incorrect or incomplete. Flash JVP at your own risk, you could loose data or brick your phone, although there aren't reports that say that. Follow the instructions and you should be ok!
    Updated with 2.3.4 I9000XXJVP,CSC = I9000OXAJVP and kept it on without sim and without even touching but fully charged. The battery life was just for one and half days.
    Android OS running at 3%
    Autorotation off.
    I must say that 2.3.4 battery is performing better than 2.3.3 so far.
    After 11 hours with gps and auto rotate on, battery still have 30% of juice left.

EDT: Attached screenshots

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App