[Q] buy i9305 for 40$ more or stick with i9300?

Search This thread

berre

Jul 3, 2007
Aalst
Hi

I'm sorry if there are similar threads, I've tried the search function and could find some posts about the differences but my question is actually more about the experience...

I know the biggest differences is the 4G and the RAM

Now the 4G isn't that big of a deal for me because it's not yet available in my country thanks to our idiot politicians
The thing that interests me the most is the 2G RAM vs 1G RAM and the battery consumption

Is there anyone here who upgraded from 9300 to 9305 who can shed some light on this?

Does the extra RAM really makes a lot of difference? Is the 9305 worse in terms of battery life (taken into account that I would disable 4G for the time being if this is possible)

Thanks
B

jjpro45

Jan 18, 2013
Nuremberg
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
AW: [Q] buy i9305 for 40$ more or stick with i9300?

2 Gb of RAM definitely make the difference. I have now 900 Mb free memory and when I used the I9300 I only had 100 Mb free memory. And battery consumption it's pretty the same by me. Just turn of 4G if you don't need it ;)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda premium

Magik_Breezy

Oct 15, 2012
OnePlus 7
Google Pixel 6 Pro
With the recent release of Liquid Smooth & the advancement of our CyanogenMod 10.1 I would say that the I9305 is doing quite well in AOSP roms now, I would spend $40 on a shirt so it is no-doubt worth the upgrade

ebenezer57

Feb 16, 2013
Singapore
Well it depends. The 2GB ram really makes quite a bit of difference but the downside for me at least is the lack of a decent number of roms.
There still are some pretty awesome TW roms like RipperRom and rXtreme, not to mention the 4.2.1/2 roms recently released. But the support and amount of development when it comes to roms is much lesser than the i9300.

Obagleyfreer

Jun 29, 2012
Wellington
I upgraded from i9300 (actually I still own it but it's my mess about phone now) and It's 10 times better than i9300!
The 2gb RAM makes a huge difference and the battery life is pretty much the same :) I would definitely spend an extra $40 on it.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using XDA Premium HD app

btemtd

Aug 8, 2012
I9305 4 Sure....

To me I have owned both... And the battery is the same.... The main difference is internet speed and Multitasking I can have 17-20 apps open and switch between them all and they open instantly I havent tried more apps then this... But i remember with the I9300 I can only get up to about 5 or 6 then when I switch between some they have to reload the entire app from the start again. So for $40 I woud not even think twice about it LOL its only $40 which is about 1-2hr of work at the average job.

And as for More roms, Yeh there is more roms but thats because there are more users, Whats the point of more roms when you only want to use 1 anyway.

And All you need in the rom is the Mods and tweaks that you like, And I can tell you this much I can have ANY mod the I9300 has. My rom Is full of features and I dont even need to change firmware anymore if I dont want to.

The main mods I can think off which i use are:

Aosp Lockscreen
Ink Effect sometimes
Long press Back button to kill
Hold volumes to skip
Enhanced Note2 Camera
Torch On lockscreen
Crt Off effect
Battery tweaks
Call record - for fun
Theming almost everypart of the phone...
Toggle mod
And much moree....

For ppl who like AOSP well

CM 10.1 now working for I9305

One of the best Kernels also (Perseus}

I can guarantee you there is more then enough development. The I9300 has actually got Too much development when I had my I9300 I Only tried I think 3-4 roms.. I think the I9305 has around 8 ROMS now to choose from .. Again more then enough.

But saying this either phone is good. But the I9305 is a little better. (Stronger)

Last edited:
Reactions: jetbruceli

LumPenPacK

Nov 22, 2012
I have an i9305

on hardware side there is no reason to stay on an i9300

BUT:
if i had the choice again I would buy an i9300 because there are much more roms on i9300.

fred_up

Jul 14, 2008
I have a i9305

On the hardware front, the only thing I am missing is the FM Radio.

winwiz

Oct 26, 2007
I have an i9305 and wish I didn't upgrade.

The custom ROM support just isn't good enough compared to the i9300. I was actually considering downgrading as I don't use 4G. Speed wise, the extra RAM doesn't really make much of a difference

empedokles

Feb 4, 2013
One more difference seems to be that i9300 can only share hd-ready (720p) to the all share cast dongle. I9305 will do full hd. This is related to the more ram.

h.han

Feb 28, 2011
London
Definitely go for i9305, I had 9300 as company phone and recently got 9305, much better in terms of multitasking thanks to the bigger ram which makes a huge difference, no application reloading any more.
Also custom rom part we are catching up with cm 10 and liquidsmooth both good enough to be daily drive, and not to mention other tw based roms.
For only 40 bucks more, you won't regret at all I guarantee you.
Also not sure in us, but in uk you have this beautiful grey colour which is just... OMG I can't stop looking at my phone now!!!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app

scumpicule

Jun 28, 2012
Hunedoara
Definitely go for i9305, I had 9300 as company phone and recently got 9305, much better in terms of multitasking thanks to the bigger ram which makes a huge difference, no application reloading any more.
Also custom rom part we are catching up with cm 10 and liquidsmooth both good enough to be daily drive, and not to mention other tw based roms.
For only 40 bucks more, you won't regret at all I guarantee you.
Also not sure in us, but in uk you have this beautiful grey colour which is just... OMG I can't stop looking at my phone now!!!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using xda app-developers app

I agree with you look this speedtest network test !! You'll never see that on GT I9300

2013-01-19%2020.42.58.png

jetbruceli

May 8, 2011
Bamberg, Germany
I9305 4 Sure....

To me I have owned both... And the battery is the same.... The main difference is internet speed and Multitasking I can have 17-20 apps open and switch between them all and they open instantly I havent tried more apps then this... But i remember with the I9300 I can only get up to about 5 or 6 then when I switch between some they have to reload the entire app from the start again. So for $40 I woud not even think twice about it LOL its only $40 which is about 1-2hr of work at the average job.

And as for More roms, Yeh there is more roms but thats because there are more users, Whats the point of more roms when you only want to use 1 anyway.

And All you need in the rom is the Mods and tweaks that you like, And I can tell you this much I can have ANY mod the I9300 has. My rom Is full of features and I dont even need to change firmware anymore if I dont want to.

Aosp Lockscreen
Ink Effect sometimes
Hold volumes to skip
Enhanced Note2 Camera
Torch On lockscreen
Crt Off effect
Battery tweaks
Call record - for fun
Toggle mod
And much moree....

I can guarantee you there is more then enough development. The I9300 has actually got Too much development when I had my I9300 I Only tried I think 3-4 roms.. I think the I9305 has around 8 ROMS now to choose from .. Again more then enough.

But saying this either phone is good. But the I9305 is a little better. (Stronger)

Yeah his ROM is the reason I have this phone. I have the 9300 but with the additional 1gb of ram and the ROM from
btemtd, you will be super happy!!!

clax6

Jun 13, 2011
I9305 4 Sure....

Aosp Lockscreen
Ink Effect sometimes
Hold volumes to skip
Enhanced Note2 Camera
Torch On lockscreen
Crt Off effect
Battery tweaks
Call record - for fun
Toggle mod
And much moree....

Your bang on the money there!

Spot on

bujcri

Feb 1, 2011
All nice and good, except for the FM Radio which I definitely miss on S3 I3005, in fact I miss it so much that I regret a bit I bought this and not I9300...

bujcri

Feb 1, 2011
See CM10 posts re radio . From memory they say use Sprint Radio from the market .

jje

I think you mean Spirit FM app, but this is not compatible with I9305 (at least not yet and most likely never will, from what I read) and I did not find any post in CM10 thread about FM radio.

fotbal5

Feb 26, 2011
Timisoara
I think you mean Spirit FM app, but this is not compatible with I9305 (at least not yet and most likely never will, from what I read) and I did not find any post in CM10 thread about FM radio.

You can't have FM radio if you got no hardware for it.
As for the better one, go for i9305 more ram, better battery is you use 3g, LTE support and go for i9300 if you want FM (as for custom roms, the i9300 has more but i9305 still have a few but good one and in time i don't think the support will be lower, look at i9001, i9003 or 9070 all still got support).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I9305 4 Sure....

Aosp Lockscreen
    Ink Effect sometimes
    Hold volumes to skip
    Enhanced Note2 Camera
    Torch On lockscreen
    Crt Off effect
    Battery tweaks
    Call record - for fun
    Toggle mod
    And much moree....