Random restarts on custom roms?

Search This thread

renegadeone8

Nov 19, 2008
Just got s-off on my DNA but installing a custom Rom makes the phone randomly freeze and reboot. Tried CM11, carbon, and a few others. The time before restarting varies wildly from 10 seconds after boot to 20-30 minutes. It seems more frequent when the screen is on or when plugged into my PC but I could just be imagining things or could be coincidence.

I have flashed and rommed many phones over the years and this one really has me stumped.

I cleared the cache and dalvik and formatted the system partition before installing the Rom and gapps. I have tried multiple roms and multiple versions of gapps as well with no luck. I have superCID of 11111111 from the original unlock process if that makes any difference. I have currently RUUd back to 3.06 for now and it seems perfectly stable on the stock Rom. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:

lemonoid

Jun 15, 2011
Boone, NC
Just got s-off on my DNA but installing a custom Rom makes the phone randomly freeze and reboot. Tried CM11, carbon, and a few others. The time before restarting varies wildly from 10 seconds after boot to 20-30 minutes. It seems more frequent when the screen is on or when plugged into my PC but I could just be imagining things or could be coincidence.

I have flashed and rommed many phones over the years and this one really has me stumped.

I cleared the cache and dalvik and formatted the system partition before installing the Rom and gapps. I have tried multiple roms and multiple versions of gapps as well with no luck. I have superCID of 11111111 from the original unlock process if that makes any difference. I have currently RUUd back to 3.06 for now and it seems perfectly stable on the stock Rom. Any help would be appreciated!

check my thread in the same section, mine started doing this two nights ago. I don't know why it started, my phone was fine prior to this. I did nothing to it, had been running Venom for a while, and two nights ago it started rebooting randomly and wildly. I have switched ROMs twice since then and it has not stopped. Like you said, it tends to be when the screen is on or gets plugged up. But unfortunately mine is doing it a lot on answering phone calls. I don't know if we are having same issure or what.

renegadeone8

Nov 19, 2008
Possibly

check my thread in the same section, mine started doing this two nights ago. I don't know why it started, my phone was fine prior to this. I did nothing to it, had been running Venom for a while, and two nights ago it started rebooting randomly and wildly. I have switched ROMs twice since then and it has not stopped. Like you said, it tends to be when the screen is on or gets plugged up. But unfortunately mine is doing it a lot on answering phone calls. I don't know if we are having same issure or what.

I don't know if we are having the same issue it may be that we are though. I am on stock 3.06 not one reboot since I went to work this morning. Get home, install the newest twrp (it is removed in the RUU process), install cm11 snapshot m5, and the appropriate gapps. I got through setup to the point of adding my gmail and it froze and rebooted. I tried cwm recovery too but it made zero difference

TBH my screen is shattered really bad and I was going to replace it but I don't want to if I have to run stock roms forever. I was running one of the original Venom roms before s-off was possible, but then I broke the screen and switched back to my droid bionic but now I can afford the new LCD so I want to get this one running

Jaggar345

May 24, 2012
Amston
I don't know if we are having the same issue it may be that we are though. I am on stock 3.06 not one reboot since I went to work this morning. Get home, install the newest twrp (it is removed in the RUU process), install cm11 snapshot m5, and the appropriate gapps. I got through setup to the point of adding my gmail and it froze and rebooted. I tried cwm recovery too but it made zero difference

TBH my screen is shattered really bad and I was going to replace it but I don't want to if I have to run stock roms forever. I was running one of the original Venom roms before s-off was possible, but then I broke the screen and switched back to my droid bionic but now I can afford the new LCD so I want to get this one running

Did you use the proper recovery stated in the thread to flash the rom, have you installed any new apps recently? Does it happen when you run the phone in safemode? Have you tried Performing an RUU and the unlocking and installing a custom rom again?

renegadeone8

Nov 19, 2008
Did all that

Did you use the proper recovery stated in the thread to flash the rom, have you installed any new apps recently? Does it happen when you run the phone in safemode? Have you tried Performing an RUU and the unlocking and installing a custom rom again?

I have done all of that stuff multiple times :(

I haven't installed any apps at all on it. This phone is basically brand new, I got it right when they launched. I shattered the screen like 3 days after I got it, and tucked it in a drawer. It has been sitting there ever since.

I have another piece to add to the puzzle. While it has the stock ROM installed it seems to get service and work just fine, but when I install the custom ROMS it has absolutely zero cell connectivity (though WiFi works fine.)

Going into the settings reveals that on the custom roms it shows the IMEI and MEID as Unknown, and the ICCID is listed as Unknown as well. If I try to change the network mode (to LTE/CDMA or any one of the many available options) it says com.phone has crashed.

After the RUU process I have my proper MEID and ICCID showing in the settings panel, and service returns.

renegadeone8

Nov 19, 2008
Can't flash radio?

After discovering the issues with the service while on custom ROMS I wondered if the radio had something wrong with it.

I tried to manually reflash the radio via fastboot (fastboot flash radio radio.img).

I tried this both in standard fastboot as well as in the rebootRUU mode, but both times I get an error that says remote not allowed. Could my bootloader somehow still be locked? The flag in bootloader mode says "Unlocked" but I unlocked manually after obtaining s-off rather than doing it officially via HTCdev. just trying to explore all options

Avalanch3

Oct 4, 2010
My phone did that at one point. I had to re-lock and RUU back to 100% stock. I then unlocked my phone with Rumrunner S-Off tool. Flashed a Sense 6 ROM and has been working fine since.

renegadeone8

Nov 19, 2008
Fixed!

So this problem is fixed!! I am not 100% sure what did the trick, so I will post my solution here in case anybody else experiences a similar issue. I won't go into too much detail with these instructions as all the tools are here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2612740

I first downgraded to the 1.15 hboot and radio. I had to rebootRUU and flash them there as it can't be done directly in fastboot as far as I know.

Do them one at a time (flash the hboot, then reboot-bootloader, then rebootRUU then flash the radio, then reboot bootloader again.)

After doing this I tried to run the RUU exe but it came up with an error that it could not update my phone, so I did the manual Alt 3.06 RUU.

This seemed to work great, restarted the phone and saw the stock rom. I then changed from superCID 11111111 back to the stock CID, relocked my bootloader went back to s-on status. At this point I ran the RUU.exe again just to make sure everything was as stock as could be.

Got that all finished, ran RumRunner again, installed CM11 and no reboot for nearly 24 hours. Pretty sure all is well!

lemonoid

Jun 15, 2011
Boone, NC

thats kinda crazy... i was on bionic before my dna. my screen on DNA is shattered like crazy. thought about going back to bionic temporarily, instead i'm gonna replace my screen and RUU and see if it fixes my problem

renegadeone8

Nov 19, 2008
thats kinda crazy... i was on bionic before my dna. my screen on DNA is shattered like crazy. thought about going back to bionic temporarily, instead i'm gonna replace my screen and RUU and see if it fixes my problem

Good news and bad news. The good news is for you!!! I think I figured out what the problem was. It seems to be an issue either with using an older radio, or an older hboot on a newer ROM. I don't know why exactly, but the RUU process was not properly updating my radios. This may be because I ran an RUU while unlocked at one point (every guide I see is very adamant about relocking before the RUU process.)

The bad news is that I ordered a new LCD for my DNA, and I ruined my phone trying to do the repairs. It is by FAR the worst phone I have ever had to work on. I have replaced LCD's in Galaxy devices, Iphones/ipod touches, laptops, TV's, and one in a smartwatch and have never hurt a thing. Got my DNA back together and it flat out wont turn on I don't know what the problem is, but something is fried. Hope you have better luck than me!