[How-To] bootloader-unlock your Lumia 800 and flash a custom rom

Search This thread

lordmaxey

May 6, 2012
Dear XDA community,

everyday i'm reading new questions from users, how they have to unlock their Lumia 800 and how they can flash custom roms onto it...
So i decided to make this how-to-thread.

I'll keep this post updated as an overview:
post 2: Bootloader unlock DLOAD Lumia 800 to Qualcomm
post 3: Backup and flash your L800 with Ubuntu, flash in Windows using dewe's Lumia Downloader 0.5
post 4: How-To use USB-Video-Out

So please, guys, read this thread, and if you don't understand, feel free to ask. :good:

Last edited:

lordmaxey

May 6, 2012
Bootloader unlock DLOAD Lumia 800 to Qualcomm

If you want to flash a custom rom, you need to have a Lumia 800 with qualcomm bootloader.

But it's a difficult way to make your DLOAD Lumia 800 to Qualcomm:

You need two main things:
1. You need ATF flasher box
2. You need good soldering skills or the special atf cables from gpg industries

Here's a tutorial to SIM-Unlock a Lumia 800: How-To SIM-Unlock your Lumia 800 - gsmhosting.com
This is almost the same procedure for "bootloader-unlocking" your Lumia 800.
You just do not need to click SP-Unlock, you need to click "boot repair" (and select qualcomm, of course).

Here's the thread of the special cables: No more soldering for lumia 610,710,800,900 easiest osbl swap ever
These cables do not require you to solder your device. You only need to open up your phone and connect it to the cable and your ATF Box.

So, if you don't want, or can't buy such a box, check for a local phone repair shop in your town/city. If they have ATF, i'm sure they can do this for you for a small amount.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

lordmaxey

May 6, 2012
Flash your custom rom using dewe's Lumia Downloader 0.5

Dewe's Nokia Lumia Downloader 0.5

I attached the Nokia Lumia Downloader 0.5 for flashing your Lumia 800 easily in Windows.
Thx to dewe for his great work!

This requires your Lumia 800 to have the qualcomm bootloader!!

First: make a backup of ALL 9 partitions of the phone!
This might really save your ass ;) Id did save mine more than once :D :good:

1. Install Ubuntu to your computer, or use Ubuntu-Live-CD

2. put phone into "Qualcomm Mode" by pressing VOL UP + POWER and connect it to your pc

3. check with
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
how your phone appears in ubuntu

4. backup your partitions using this:
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/sd[B]X[/B]1 of=/media/Data/backup1.bin
sudo dd if=/dev/sd[B]X[/B]2 of=/media/Data/backup2.bin
sudo dd if=/dev/sd[B]X[/B]3 of=/media/Data/backup3.bin
up to
sudo dd if=/dev/sd[B]X[/B]9 of=/media/Data/backup9.bin
where the X is your special letter, mostly it's b, c, or d.
if = your input file
of = your output file
And this might take up to 2 hours.

Restoring your backups is the exact opposit.

second: you can now flash your Lumia 800.
because you're already in Ubuntu, you can flash it using:
Code:
sudo dd if=/path/to/your/os-new.nb of=/dev/sd[B]X[/B]9
You MUST flash the os-new.nb file to partition 9!!!

Or you can use attached Nokia Lumia Downloader on Windows.

1. Connect your phone in "qualcomm mode"
2. open the Tool with admin rights in Windows
3. Klick "download" and select os-new.nb file

NOTICE: when you connect the phone in "qualcomm mode" in windows, you'll get a message of formatting the drive. DO NOT DO THAT!!!! CLICK CANCEL! If you format, your phone's broken.

Attachments

• Nokia_Flasher.rar
    7.2 KB · Views: 5,110
Last edited:
Reactions: blaze_cv

lordmaxey

May 6, 2012
How-To use USB-Video-Out

How to use USB Video Out:

As it seems to be a little "difficult" to use the usb video out package, here's what you have to do (this is a copy out of the readme file of the package):

You can download the needed files here:
USB-Video-Out.rar
Mirror @4shared

Enabling USB video out on the phone (ON THE PHONE)

- From Start Menu swipe over to the application list and run "USB Video Out"
- Answer Yes to enable USB Video out. This is a toggle.
- When the phone boots up it is in Zune Mode which enables it to sync data with Zune Client software on the PC. You will need to toggle this to Video mode using the above steps to get video out.
- Note: Toggling between Zune mode and Video mode requires the phone to reboot each time.

Setting up driver on the desktop (one time)

- Make sure Zune is not running.
- Your Phone must be flashed with a ROM that has video out bits on it, they must be enabled, and the phone must be on and plugged into your PC to continue. When the phone boots up the default setting is OFF for the video output.
- Start -> Right click on Computer, select Manage
- In "Computer Management" click on the Device Manager
- Under "Other Devices"
- Within the list of drivers Right Click on WM7VIDSTREAM driver, select "Update Driver Software..."
- Choose Browse and point Windows to appropriate driver folder.
- Approve the Unsigned Driver installation.

Starting application

- Launch VidStream.exe.
- This application does support disconnect & reconnecting of the phone's USB cable.
- If a previous instance of VidStream.exe was running with the device connected, you will need to simply unplug and replug the phone's USB cable.
- Press ESC to exit the PC Client application.

Re-enabling MTPz USB sync (Zune Mode)

- Open "USB Video Out"
- Answer Yes to enable MTPz
- The device will reboot to make the changes effective.

Last edited:

chief

Nov 15, 2012
Oh, I was about to write that I'm flashing my phone on Windows but then I saw this method below the Ubuntu.
Isn't it better to put the windows method above the ubuntu? I think more ppl use Windows and possibly won't se the windows method as me :p

Reactions: lordmaxey

lordmaxey

May 6, 2012
Oh, I was about to write that I'm flashing my phone on Windows but then I saw this method below the Ubuntu.
Isn't it better to put the windows method above the ubuntu? I think more ppl use Windows and possibly won't se the windows method as me :p

Hi, thx for reply, i wrote it this way, because i wanted to point out, that it is really recommended to make a backup.
If i put the windows flashing above, most people will stop reading, and don't make a backup :D

I think this way, more people read the backup story, so it's their choice if they don't make one :p

Reactions: Rataplan

bowi1612

May 4, 2013
Zune

Hey thanks for this tutorial. I just had one quick question.

After I do this can I still sync with Zune? Because I would like my data such as songs and apps back. Is this still possible?

itzAltaf

May 6, 2013
Multan
twitter.com
if i got for it, it will cost me about 12000 Pakistani rupee for ATF, and about 4000 Pakistani rupee for cable............total 16000, and i can buys with this + sale price of my cell = samsung s#........my GOD....where i am
Good bye to lumia 800....wanna get rid off

lordmaxey

May 6, 2012
Hey thanks for this tutorial. I just had one quick question.

After I do this can I still sync with Zune? Because I would like my data such as songs and apps back. Is this still possible?

Hi there,
sorry for late reply.
I you mean with "doing this" unlocking your bootloader, syncing data does not really have anything to do with your bootloader.

Generally, if you make your DLOAD to Qualcomm, your personal files are still on your phone, as bootloader changing does not overwrite any personal files (partition 9 of the phone).
It matters more, which rom you install, if syncing content with zune is still possible or not.
If you flash a custom rom, your data is whiped, as you overwrite your OS partition with the custom rom. But after that, with my roms for example, you can sync your songs etc. back to your Lumia.
I don't think this might work with apps, you have to install them again via marketplace.

hrbani

May 8, 2013
Is it possible to use your ROMs on N9?

Is it possible to use your ROMs on Nokia N9? If yes how?

with regards

Last edited:

hrbani

May 8, 2013
Thanks. I'm amateur and know noting about ROM port and others:confused:, I asked that question because I want win phone on my N9 :cowboy:.

with regards

Reactions: lordmaxey

lordmaxey

May 6, 2012
If I do Bootloader unlock DLOAD to Qualcomm L800 using ATF NITRO ...
do this make any changes on my ROM..?:confused:
will this make my phone data wiped...?:confused:
and do i need any kind of flash files for this
:confused:

Hi there,

no, this only overwrites your bootloader, which is on a different partition as the phone operating system.
so this will not wipe your phone data.

just flashing a custom rom will wipe your data.

Reactions: SidRose01

bowi1612

May 4, 2013
Remove Funkyrom

I am just wondering. If I ever want to go back to the Original Windows Phone OS, can I just restore to factory settings on my windows phone? Or do I need to do some other stuff, I can't find an answer anywhere.

lordmaxey

May 6, 2012
I am just wondering. If I ever want to go back to the Original Windows Phone OS, can I just restore to factory settings on my windows phone? Or do I need to do some other stuff, I can't find an answer anywhere.

Hi there,
if you've made a backup, you can restore this and reset your phone afterwards.

That's the best solution in my opinion, because you're back on the original rom, but you're still on the qualcomm bootloader, so you can reflash a custom rom whenever you want :)

Of course you can restore DLOAD and flash the original ROM with ATF, too. But then you have to do the soldering stuff again, if you want to use a custom rom in the future.

Celteek

Aug 9, 2013
What about the method from cyclone box?
Do you think there will be a method soon for changing bootloader without opening the phone and buying a box? The problem is I don't want to pay for cyclone box.

lordmaxey

May 6, 2012
What about the method from cyclone box?
Do you think there will be a method soon for changing bootloader without opening the phone and buying a box? The problem is I don't want to pay for cyclone box.

No. I think there'll never be an option.
Afaik, this is only possible with ATF, not with cyclone.

Celteek

Aug 9, 2013
No. I think there'll never be an option.
Afaik, this is only possible with ATF, not with cyclone.

It is said on their website that it is possible to patch bootloader without opening the phone. (sorry I can't post links yet, but it is easy to find on google by typing "cyclone box lumia 800 no tp" ). Unfortunately we need a cyclone box . My question is : will there be a method with which we don't need a cyclone box?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear XDA community,

everyday i'm reading new questions from users, how they have to unlock their Lumia 800 and how they can flash custom roms onto it...
    So i decided to make this how-to-thread.

I'll keep this post updated as an overview:
    post 2: Bootloader unlock DLOAD Lumia 800 to Qualcomm
    post 3: Backup and flash your L800 with Ubuntu, flash in Windows using dewe's Lumia Downloader 0.5
    post 4: How-To use USB-Video-Out

So please, guys, read this thread, and if you don't understand, feel free to ask. :good:
    Bootloader unlock DLOAD Lumia 800 to Qualcomm

If you want to flash a custom rom, you need to have a Lumia 800 with qualcomm bootloader.

But it's a difficult way to make your DLOAD Lumia 800 to Qualcomm:

You need two main things:
    1. You need ATF flasher box
    2. You need good soldering skills or the special atf cables from gpg industries

Here's a tutorial to SIM-Unlock a Lumia 800: How-To SIM-Unlock your Lumia 800 - gsmhosting.com
    This is almost the same procedure for "bootloader-unlocking" your Lumia 800.
    You just do not need to click SP-Unlock, you need to click "boot repair" (and select qualcomm, of course).

Here's the thread of the special cables: No more soldering for lumia 610,710,800,900 easiest osbl swap ever
    These cables do not require you to solder your device. You only need to open up your phone and connect it to the cable and your ATF Box.

So, if you don't want, or can't buy such a box, check for a local phone repair shop in your town/city. If they have ATF, i'm sure they can do this for you for a small amount.

Hope this helps.
    Flash your custom rom using dewe's Lumia Downloader 0.5

Dewe's Nokia Lumia Downloader 0.5

I attached the Nokia Lumia Downloader 0.5 for flashing your Lumia 800 easily in Windows.
    Thx to dewe for his great work!

This requires your Lumia 800 to have the qualcomm bootloader!!

First: make a backup of ALL 9 partitions of the phone!
    This might really save your ass ;) Id did save mine more than once :D :good:

1. Install Ubuntu to your computer, or use Ubuntu-Live-CD

2. put phone into "Qualcomm Mode" by pressing VOL UP + POWER and connect it to your pc

3. check with
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    how your phone appears in ubuntu

4. backup your partitions using this:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/sd[B]X[/B]1 of=/media/Data/backup1.bin
    sudo dd if=/dev/sd[B]X[/B]2 of=/media/Data/backup2.bin
    sudo dd if=/dev/sd[B]X[/B]3 of=/media/Data/backup3.bin
    up to
    sudo dd if=/dev/sd[B]X[/B]9 of=/media/Data/backup9.bin
    where the X is your special letter, mostly it's b, c, or d.
    if = your input file
    of = your output file
    And this might take up to 2 hours.

Restoring your backups is the exact opposit.

second: you can now flash your Lumia 800.
    because you're already in Ubuntu, you can flash it using:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/path/to/your/os-new.nb of=/dev/sd[B]X[/B]9
    You MUST flash the os-new.nb file to partition 9!!!

Or you can use attached Nokia Lumia Downloader on Windows.

1. Connect your phone in "qualcomm mode"
    2. open the Tool with admin rights in Windows
    3. Klick "download" and select os-new.nb file

NOTICE: when you connect the phone in "qualcomm mode" in windows, you'll get a message of formatting the drive. DO NOT DO THAT!!!! CLICK CANCEL! If you format, your phone's broken.

Hi, thx for reply, i wrote it this way, because i wanted to point out, that it is really recommended to make a backup.
    If i put the windows flashing above, most people will stop reading, and don't make a backup :D

I think this way, more people read the backup story, so it's their choice if they don't make one :p