[GUIDE] Genymotion | Installing ARM Translation and GApps[Updated Nov.16]

Search This thread

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
UPDATE May 28th, 2017: This guide is no longer supported and probably doesn't work. Please don't use it or ask for support anymore.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Genymotion is a Virtual Android Environment built on x86 and Virtualbox. It's not an ARM emulator so it's performance is way better than the Android SDK Emulator. However in their latest update they've removed both ARM Translation and Google Play Apps. (This is what causes the "INSTALL_FAILED_CPU_ABI_INCOMPATIBLE" errors) Many Devs and Users still find these features very useful for various reasons and their removal has forced people to look for alternatives to Genymotion.

This guide is for getting back both ARM Translation and Google Play apps in your Genymotion VM.

ATTENTION(April 11th): Sadly Dropbox has informed me I've surpassed reasonable Bandwidth Usage and has temporarily disabled my Public Links. I don't blame them considering I've reached a steady 1400+ downloads per day, which equals an impressive 12.5+GB of bandwidth per day. Part of this is probably because people started Hot Linking my file for their guides. So for the foreseeable future I can't provide direct downloads of the ARM Translation, but I'll have plenty of Mirrors. I'm sorry to the numerous people that created Guides in numerous languages, since I have to kill the link in your Guides. Please don't hesitate to use one of my new links.

PS: I'm sorry if I haven't been very talkative and helpful lately. Work has been piling up and sleep is decreasing. Plus my computer is being "difficult". Haven't had a chance to even update Genymotion to v2.2.0. I hope I'll be able to get back into the dirt soon.

Note(Feb 2nd): Contrary to previous reports, it's been discovered that Android 4.4 does in fact work with ARM Translation, although it is buggy. Follow the steps the same as before, just make sure you download the 4.4 GApps.

UPDATE-v1.1: I've gotten more up-to-date builds of libhoudini and have updated the ZIP. This fixes a lot of app crashes and hangs. Just flash the new one and it should work.

1. Download the following ZIPs:
  2. Next Open your Genymotion VM and go to the Homescreen
  3. Now Drag&Drop the Genymotion-ARM-Translation.zip onto the Genymotion VM window.
  4. It should say "File transfer in progress", once it asks you to flash it click 'OK'
  5. Now Reboot your VM using ADB or an app like ROM Toolbox. If nescessary you can simply close the VM window, but I don't recommend it.
  6. Once you're on the Homescreen again Drag&Drop the gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip(or whatever version you got) onto your VM, and click 'OK' when asked
  7. Once it finishes, again Reboot your VM and open the Google Play Store.
  8. Sign in using your Google account
  9. Once in the Store go to the 'My Apps' menu and let everything update(fixes a lot of issues), also try updating Google Play Services directly.
  10. Now try searching for 'Netflix' and 'Google Drive'
  11. If both apps show up in the results and you're able to Download/Install them, then congrats you now have ARM support and Google Play fully setup!
I've tested this on Genymotion v2.0.1 Using Android 4.3 images. Feel free to skip the GApps steps if you only want the ARM support. It'll work perfectly fine by itself.

If you have any problems please don't hesitate to ask for help below.

Michael Z. - Provided newer system image
taob - Provided Reference Image

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Zips:(DON'T DOWNLOAD! Kept for archival purposes, unlikely to solve any issues you might have.)
ARM Translation v1.0 - http://goo.gl/CL4os6 Hosted by FILETRIP(Mirrors)

Attachments

• Genymotion-ARM-Translation_v1.1.zip
    9 MB · Views: 267,584
Last edited:

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
So far, seems that it's working for people. I've gotten feedback on other sites and I've only had one user report trouble installing GApps. Remember, if you have any issues let me know. I'm currently looking into problems with some Apps and Games that hang when opened.

ScRePt

Dec 24, 2009
Athens
Thank you very much!

For windows, this procedure requires downloading android SDK then downloading platform tools and messing with your PATH and also installing Java (yikes).
I've searched around for the minimum adb requirements of Genymotion and I'm attaching them for anyone interested.

Just extract anywhere and tell Genymotion the folder you extracted these where it asks for the sdk path.
It includes the mini-sdk (windows-only) from androidforums.com and the aapt uploaded on xda somewhere I don't remember.
The files are in the sub-folders Genymotion expects them to be.

Hope that helps someone.

Attachments

• genymotion-no-java.zip
    959.9 KB · Views: 16,558
Reactions: dendie701

nicesoni_ash

May 26, 2012
While dragging and dropping these zip files onto my VM windows, it started to show File transfer in progress but at the same moment throws an error, "An error occured while deploying a file. Process failed to start. The parameter is incorrect.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

Edit:
A reboot worked for me. Thanks for this. :)

Last edited:

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
While dragging and dropping these zip files onto my VM windows, it started to show File transfer in progress but at the same moment throws an error, "An error occured while deploying a file. Process failed to start. The parameter is incorrect.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks.

Did you define Android-SDK location in the Genymotion settings?

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
Updated to v1.1
Thanks to the help of Michael, I was able to get more recent Libs that are much more stable. This should fix many of the hangs and crashes experienced in Games and some apps.

philnolan3d

May 14, 2011
I got to the step about drag&dropping Gapps but when I do it just says it was successfully copied to the download folder. That doesn't sound right and nothing else happens after I reboot.

Last edited:

thecensor

Mar 19, 2011
So to be clear, you used ARM Translation v1.1, and installed Netflix and Google Drive via the Play Store, but they still don't work?

Yes, I installed the zip files, ADB rebooted in between then installed the apps. First I get the message that google+ has stoped, Now the apps won't even start.I attached pics

Attachments

• Genymotion1.jpg
    Genymotion1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 4,127
  • Genymotion2.jpg
    Genymotion2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 3,299
Last edited:

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
Yes, I installed the zip files, ADB rebooted in between then installed the apps. First I get the message that google+ has stoped, Now the apps won't even start.I attached pics

Hmmm, I got similar errors, but updating all the apps through Google Play and rebooting cleared them up. Can you post a logcat? Also try making a second VM using a different Android image and try installing in that.

If you keep having issues you might have to uninstall Genymotion and make sure all it's registry entries are deleted, before reinstalling Genymotion. For some reason the Genymotion Uninstaller doesn't do a proper job of removing everything. But I had weird issues myself until I did a clean install.

thecensor

Mar 19, 2011
Hmmm, I got similar errors, but updating all the apps through Google Play and rebooting cleared them up. Can you post a logcat? Also try making a second VM using a different Android image and try installing in that.

If you keep having issues you might have to uninstall Genymotion and make sure all it's registry entries are deleted, before reinstalling Genymotion. For some reason the Genymotion Uninstaller doesn't do a proper job of removing everything. But I had weird issues myself until I did a clean install.

I did do an update of all the apps that needed updating. Also I uninstalled Genymotion using Revo pro, that scanned and removed all the leftover registry and files, then rebooted then ran Wise Care 365 which is a general file and registry cleaner, Then rebooted again and installed Genymotion ( the one without Virtaulbox because I already have the latest version installed for other purposes).

Sorry, but I'll have to get back to it at a later date.

Thank for you help.

In addition to these errors, the Virtual machine crashes with a message that player has crashed or something with the network is bad, but the network settings are blank as they should be.

I will try the other suggestions now.

Last edited:

philnolan3d

May 14, 2011
Is there another way to install gapps other than drag&dropping the zip, since that isn't working for me (it just copies the file to sdcard/downloads)?

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
Is there another way to install gapps other than drag&dropping the zip, since that isn't working for me (it just copies the file to sdcard/downloads)?

Yeah I've been getting several reports of Genymotion doing that. The function is supposed to copy it to the Download folder and then flash it from there, but there must be a bug that's preventing it. To do it manually, just use Root Explorer to extract the ZIP and then copy the "system" folder you extracted on top of your "/system" folder(Root Explorer should automatically ask to remount the partition as Read-Write), and it should ask if you want to merge the two. Say yes, and then when it asks to overwrite a file just say yes. Reboot and you should have Google Apps installed.

NOTE: Just in case something goes wrong, you should backup the System partition by Opening Virtualbox, Right-Clicking your VM, Select 'Show In Explorer', and then copy the "android_system_disk.vmdk" to a safe location.

philnolan3d

May 14, 2011
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to do some research on some of this since I'm not a developer, I just enjoyed having an android device on my computer.

Edit: Strange, I extracted it, then when I go to the extracted folder there's nothing in it. Oh, I just realized Windows won't open it either. Maybe the download was messed up.

Edit 2: Nope, downloaded again, this time the file size is 1kb bigger (8kb total) but the same things happens, empty extracted folder. This is from the gapps for 4.3 zip on page 1.

Edit 3: Problem solved. 8kb seemed awfully small so I went directly to goo.im and found the real file size is 87.5MB! A little different. This time everything works perfectly except that I have to manually open VirtualBox Manager first but that's no big deal.

Last edited:

japzone

Dec 25, 2010
Thanks for the tips. I'll have to do some research on some of this since I'm not a developer, I just enjoyed having an android device on my computer.

Edit: Strange, I extracted it, then when I go to the extracted folder there's nothing in it. Oh, I just realized Windows won't open it either. Maybe the download was messed up.

Edit 2: Nope, downloaded again, this time the file size is 1kb bigger (8kb total) but the same things happens, empty extracted folder. This is from the gapps for 4.3 zip on page 1.

Edit 3: Problem solved. 8kb seemed awfully small so I went directly to goo.im and found the real file size is 87.5MB! A little different. This time everything works perfectly except that I have to manually open VirtualBox Manager first but that's no big deal.

Glad it worked out for you. 8kb is definitely too small for anything other than a text file these days.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE May 28th, 2017: This guide is no longer supported and probably doesn't work. Please don't use it or ask for support anymore.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Genymotion is a Virtual Android Environment built on x86 and Virtualbox. It's not an ARM emulator so it's performance is way better than the Android SDK Emulator. However in their latest update they've removed both ARM Translation and Google Play Apps. (This is what causes the "INSTALL_FAILED_CPU_ABI_INCOMPATIBLE" errors) Many Devs and Users still find these features very useful for various reasons and their removal has forced people to look for alternatives to Genymotion.

This guide is for getting back both ARM Translation and Google Play apps in your Genymotion VM.

ATTENTION(April 11th): Sadly Dropbox has informed me I've surpassed reasonable Bandwidth Usage and has temporarily disabled my Public Links. I don't blame them considering I've reached a steady 1400+ downloads per day, which equals an impressive 12.5+GB of bandwidth per day. Part of this is probably because people started Hot Linking my file for their guides. So for the foreseeable future I can't provide direct downloads of the ARM Translation, but I'll have plenty of Mirrors. I'm sorry to the numerous people that created Guides in numerous languages, since I have to kill the link in your Guides. Please don't hesitate to use one of my new links.

PS: I'm sorry if I haven't been very talkative and helpful lately. Work has been piling up and sleep is decreasing. Plus my computer is being "difficult". Haven't had a chance to even update Genymotion to v2.2.0. I hope I'll be able to get back into the dirt soon.

Note(Feb 2nd): Contrary to previous reports, it's been discovered that Android 4.4 does in fact work with ARM Translation, although it is buggy. Follow the steps the same as before, just make sure you download the 4.4 GApps.

UPDATE-v1.1: I've gotten more up-to-date builds of libhoudini and have updated the ZIP. This fixes a lot of app crashes and hangs. Just flash the new one and it should work.

1. Download the following ZIPs:
    2. Next Open your Genymotion VM and go to the Homescreen
    3. Now Drag&Drop the Genymotion-ARM-Translation.zip onto the Genymotion VM window.
    4. It should say "File transfer in progress", once it asks you to flash it click 'OK'
    5. Now Reboot your VM using ADB or an app like ROM Toolbox. If nescessary you can simply close the VM window, but I don't recommend it.
    6. Once you're on the Homescreen again Drag&Drop the gapps-jb-20130813-signed.zip(or whatever version you got) onto your VM, and click 'OK' when asked
    7. Once it finishes, again Reboot your VM and open the Google Play Store.
    8. Sign in using your Google account
    9. Once in the Store go to the 'My Apps' menu and let everything update(fixes a lot of issues), also try updating Google Play Services directly.
    10. Now try searching for 'Netflix' and 'Google Drive'
    11. If both apps show up in the results and you're able to Download/Install them, then congrats you now have ARM support and Google Play fully setup!
    I've tested this on Genymotion v2.0.1 Using Android 4.3 images. Feel free to skip the GApps steps if you only want the ARM support. It'll work perfectly fine by itself.

If you have any problems please don't hesitate to ask for help below.

Michael Z. - Provided newer system image
    taob - Provided Reference Image

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old Zips:(DON'T DOWNLOAD! Kept for archival purposes, unlikely to solve any issues you might have.)
    ARM Translation v1.0 - http://goo.gl/CL4os6 Hosted by FILETRIP(Mirrors)
    So far, seems that it's working for people. I've gotten feedback on other sites and I've only had one user report trouble installing GApps. Remember, if you have any issues let me know. I'm currently looking into problems with some Apps and Games that hang when opened.
    for anyone searching for current gapps solution..
    flash open-gapps (x86 package). works perfectly. no need for ARM translation zip.
    for root, i have only managed to get SuperSU 2.46 to work.
    https://download.chainfire.eu/696/SuperSU/
    Install WithOUT Drag and Drop?

For whatever reason, drag and drop USED to work for me. But now it simply doesn't. I've tried many times to get it to work, uninstalling everything, re-installing, plenty of reboots, verifying sdk paths, blah blah blah, but I've given up.

There's got to be a way to do this without drag and dropping. Can anyone advise me on how to flash these zips without Genymotion's drag-n-drop feature?

*EDIT-UPDATE*
    I solved my issue by doing two things:
    1. Avoiding 4.4.2.
    2. Installing the two zips via adb push.

I used 4.2.2, which is acceptable for my testing purposes. I then extracted both zip's "/system/..." folders to a folder on my desktop.
    In cmd prompt I used the following commands (step 0 is optional and for verification that adb is working):
    0. adb devices
    1. adb remount
    2. adb push "C:\Users\John\Desktop\GenyF_cked\system" /system

May take a bit of time to push everything, but once it does, try opening Google Play and logging in and all that. Working for me, finally. Too bad Genymotions drag and drop seems to be royally screwed for me and my machine. Whatever, I'll be doing this from now on. Hope it helps anyone else having the same issues.
    Never mind

The verdict is in. After talking with some other users it seems that ARM Translation is not working in Android 4.4 KitKat Genymotion images. I haven't been able to confirm it myself(do to issues requiring me to Refresh Windows), but it seems a for sure thing now. I can't tell you what exactly is the cause until my PC is working again, but don't hold your breath for ARM Translation on Android 4.4. For now you'll just have to use Android 4.0-4.3 if you want to use ARM apps.Errr... nevermind. Read my next post.

Some good news is that the Google Apps for Android 4.4 that are floating around seem to work, you just can't install any ARM apps. The CM11 GApps should work, just download them from HERE