[Q] Any method to stream Netflix / Hulu outside US? :(

Search This thread

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
I'm from Egypt and I got a chromecast for 30$ on amazon while I was in the US... It's not rootable also.

So I cannot stream Netflix or Hulu on it :crying::crying:

I tried this method and it doesn't work http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2435579 .. any help please? :(

Since your Chromecast is not rootable, if you cannot get one of the below to work
  1. Use iptables to redirect Google DNS requests
  2. Force Chromecast to use DHCP-supplied DNS by blocking its Google DNS requests
  3. Force Chromecast to use DHCP-supplied DNS by rerouting its Google DNS requests
  4. Have router forcibly handle external DNS requests
  5. Have router log into VPN and route client traffic through VPN
Then you will only be able to access the services available in your (ISP's) country.

Reactions: LegendJo

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
If your Chromecast isn't rooted, it all depends on your router.

There are 3 main methods:

The most widely-supported method is to get the Chromecast to fall back to DHCP by using the static-route-to-nowhere method, since almost all routers support setting up static routes. You can read about that method in the thread you referenced above.

A few routers let you block the Google DNS addresses specifically to make the Chromecast fall back to DHCP. That works just as well. But unfortunately most routers that follow the Linksys model of access restrictions can't block a specific IP address, even though it looks like it should be possible the way the interface is set up.

If you have a router running DD-WRT or other advanced Linux-based firmware, you can use the iptables command to redirect the Google DNS addresses to the DNS addresses of your choice, as in the link you referenced.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm from Egypt and I got a chromecast for 30$ on amazon while I was in the US... It's not rootable also.

So I cannot stream Netflix or Hulu on it :crying::crying:

I tried this method and it doesn't work http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2435579 .. any help please? :(

Since your Chromecast is not rootable, if you cannot get one of the below to work
    1. Use iptables to redirect Google DNS requests
    2. Force Chromecast to use DHCP-supplied DNS by blocking its Google DNS requests
    3. Force Chromecast to use DHCP-supplied DNS by rerouting its Google DNS requests
    4. Have router forcibly handle external DNS requests
    5. Have router log into VPN and route client traffic through VPN
    Then you will only be able to access the services available in your (ISP's) country.