[Q] Play Store crashes on download, then continues to crash

Search This thread

themsftcpu

Apr 19, 2014
First, I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this. I am new to these forums.

Essentially, the other day, my Google services stopped working, due to something in my hosts file. I booted into recovery, and commented out android.clients.google.com mtalk.google.com, which had pointed to 74.125.93.113

After booting up normally, and logging in to my Google account again, I was able to access the play store among other apps normally.

However, when I went on the Play store to download an app, the store immidiatlely closed and prompted me with "Unfortunately, Google Play Store has stopped."

I have tried the following to solve my issue, none of which have worked.
  • Factory Reset
  • Clear Cache\Data
  • Reinstall from APK
  • Uninstall updates
  • Log out of google, restart, log back in
  • Wipe data from Titanium Backup and install anew

I have yet to find a solution to my problems.

My System Specs:
Screenshot_2014-04-19-16-24-00.png

(Rooted 4.4)

Help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

themsftcpu

Apr 19, 2014
Did I post this in the wrong section?
Is there something wrong with my post?
Am I being ignored by the "great XDA minds" because apparently I'm stupid?

I still cannot fix my play store, and I would appreciate any form of help, please.

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
Delete please , this great mind did not read the op!
Tough problem.
Edit try clearing data for the play & play service app?

Last edited:

themsftcpu

Apr 19, 2014
Not to be bumping old threads, but I still have not resolved this issue. For now I am using an alternative app store, but I would like to know what the issue is.

I manually reinstalled gapps through adb, directly into /system, and it changed nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Not to be bumping old threads, but I still have not resolved this issue. For now I am using an alternative app store, but I would like to know what the issue is.

I manually reinstalled gapps through adb, directly into /system, and it changed nothing. Any help would be appreciated.

IF you have an unlocked bootloader (I'm assuming that you do, since you mention booting into recovery):

Follow the "Return to Stock" thread to flash the entire 4.4.2 SBF for your carrier (AT&T, I'm assuming - based on your screenshots).

I suggest using the manual method. If a factory reset did not help, this is likely your only hope.

SBFing back to stock can actually FIX a corrupt filesystem - a factory reset can not.

Everything you need is listed in that thread, including links to the SBF files themselves, and all drivers you may need (which are probably already installed since you mention booting into recovery and modifying your 'hosts' file).

If you do NOT have an unlocked BL, let me know. I will help you with alternative instructions, if you tell me which exploit you are using, and whether or not you are using safestrap, and which android version you are on (4.4?)

DON'T flash the 4.4.2 SBF if you are not unlocked or you will never be able to root and achieve write-protect-disable.

Good Luck

Last edited:

themsftcpu

Apr 19, 2014
IF you have an unlocked bootloader (I'm assuming that you do, since you mention booting into recovery):

Follow the "Return to Stock" thread to flash the entire 4.4.2 SBF for your carrier (AT&T, I'm assuming - based on your screenshots).

I suggest using the manual method. If a factory reset did not help, this is likely your only hope.

SBFing back to stock can actually FIX a corrupt filesystem - a factory reset can not.

Everything you need is listed in that thread, including links to the SBF files themselves, and all drivers you may need (which are probably already installed since you mention booting into recovery and modifying your 'hosts' file).

If you do NOT have an unlocked BL, let me know. I will help you with alternative instructions, if you tell me which exploit you are using, and whether or not you are using safestrap, and which android version you are on (4.4?)

DON'T flash the 4.4.2 SBF if you are not unlocked or you will never be able to root and achieve write-protect-disable.

Good Luck

Unfortunately I do not have an unlocked bootloader, as there is no way that I am aware to unlock the Moto X. When I said booting into recovery, I meant /system read\write mode. I am running Android 4.4 still, never updated to 4.4.2. I have adb, mfastboot (as well as fastboot on the device), and RSD Lite for flashing images to the device.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Unfortunately I do not have an unlocked bootloader, as there is no way that I am aware to unlock the Moto X. When I said booting into recovery, I meant /system read\write mode. I am running Android 4.4 still, never updated to 4.4.2. I have adb, mfastboot (as well as fastboot on the device), and RSD Lite for flashing images to the device.

OK. Yes, there is a possibility to unlock your device. See the "China Middleman Back?" thread for details.

Anyways, since you are on 4.4, I assume you are using the "Slap My Moto" exploit + MotoWpNoMo (write protect disable exploit). (I asked which exploit you used, but you didn't advise)

What YOU will need to do (with locked BL) is follow the instructions in the "Return to Stock" thread, but instead of what I mentioned earlier, flash the entire 4.4 SBF for YOUR CARRIER (you never confirmed AT&T...)

After you have flashed the entire 4.4 SBF, you will need to re-apply the exploits to re-gain root and Write Protect Disable.

Once this is finished, your device should work 100% properly.

BE VERY CAREFUL. It seems you aren't aware of many of the nuances regarding the Moto X, so here is some info for you:

1. If you EVER attempt to downgrade your software version, you will brick your phone - possibly permanently. This applies to ALL Moto X phones - locked, unlocked, rooted, or not.

2. Additionally, if you ever update to 4.4.2, you will completely/permanently LOSE the ability to root and achieve write protect disable (unless you unlock the BL). There is a new temporary root method that works on 4.4.2, but it does not disable write protect, so you cannot write to /system, cannot flash custom recovery, and every time you reboot your device, you will have to re-run the exploit to gain root back again.

3. There is a gentleman from China who is selling bootloader unlock codes for the Moto X. He somehow has access to some of Motorola's database. Currently, he can unlock most devices that have a manufacture date of 2014 (he doesn't have access to 2013 codes). The cost is $45 (very reasonable, IMO), and you can find all the details in the "China Middleman Back?" thread. If you DO decide to try this unlock method and are successful, you will need to re-flash the entire stock SBF to remove the 'exploits' you are using. Also, with unlocked BL, you can successfully root and flash recovery (and write to /system) no matter which android version you are on.

Hope this clears everything up for you. Let me know if you have questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: themsftcpu

themsftcpu

Apr 19, 2014
OK. Yes, there is a possibility to unlock your device. See the "China Middleman Back?" thread for details.

Anyways, since you are on 4.4, I assume you are using the "Slap My Moto" exploit + MotoWpNoMo (write protect disable exploit). (I asked which exploit you used, but you didn't advise)

What YOU will need to do (with locked BL) is follow the instructions in the "Return to Stock" thread, but instead of what I mentioned earlier, flash the entire 4.4 SBF for YOUR CARRIER (you never confirmed AT&T...)

After you have flashed the entire 4.4 SBF, you will need to re-apply the exploits to re-gain root and Write Protect Disable.

BE VERY CAREFUL. It seems you aren't aware of many of the nuances regarding the Moto X, so here is some info for you:

1. If you EVER attempt to downgrade your software version, you will brick your phone - possibly permanently. This applies to ALL Moto X phones - locked, unlocked, rooted, or not.

2. Additionally, if you ever update to 4.4.2, you will completely/permanently LOSE the ability to root and achieve write protect disable (unless you unlock the BL). There is a new temporary root method that works on 4.4.2, but it does not disable write protect, so you cannot write to /system, cannot flash custom recovery, and every time you reboot your device, you will have to re-run the exploit to gain root back again.

3. There is a gentleman from China who is selling bootloader unlock codes for the Moto X. He somehow has access to some of Motorola's database. Currently, he can unlock most devices that have a manufacture date of 2014 (he doesn't have access to 2013 codes). The cost is $45 (very reasonable, IMO), and you can find all the details in the "China Middleman Back?" thread. If you DO decide to try this unlock method and are successful, you will need to re-flash the entire stock SBF to remove the 'exploits' you are using. Also, with unlocked BL, you can successfully root and flash recovery (and write to /system) no matter which android version you are on.

Sorry, I didn't see the exploit, but yes I am using the SlapMyMoto exploit .here Yes I am using ATT

In reponse to
1. Got it, don't downgrade whatever I do.

2. I actually disabled the OTA updater app because the 4.4.2 update notification was stupid, and I accidentally hit "Yes, update."

3. I have the XT1058, which is the 2013 model. Besides that, not sure I want to be giving my money to a (hacker?).

As for the instructions above that: I will try in the morning, I have an important phone call to take tomorrow and I can't afford to have my phone acting up.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Sorry, I didn't see the exploit, but yes I am using the SlapMyMoto exploit .here Yes I am using ATT

In reponse to

2. I actually disabled the OTA updater app because the 4.4.2 update notification was stupid, and I accidentally hit "Yes, update."

3. I have the XT1058, which is the 2013 model. Besides that, not sure I want to be giving my money to a (hacker?).

As for the instructions above that: I will try in the morning, I have an important phone call to take tomorrow and I can't afford to have my phone acting up.

1. Great!

2. Good idea. Disabling the OTA updater is wise to prevent the possibility of losing root/write protect.

3. What is important is the date YOUR phone was manufactured. If you purchased it in 2013, obviously it has a 2013 manufacture date, but the Moto factory is still churning out brand new XT1058s. If you are curious, the manufacture date is listed on the box, OR you can find it by issuing "fastboot getvar all". I understand your reluctance to send money to this gentleman - fortunately you never updated to 4.4.2 so you can still use the 4.4 exploits. This is the ONLY option to achieve full root for those on 4.4.2+

Again, I highly recommend using the manual method (using fastboot/mfastboot) listed in the Return to Stock thread. Faster and easier than using RSD Lite, IMO.

Please let us know if the procedure I outlined fixes your problem once you have completed all the steps.

Last edited:

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010

In reponse to

1. Great!

2. Good idea. Disabling the OTA updater is wise to prevent the possibility of losing root/write protect.

3. What is important is the date YOUR phone was manufactured. If you purchased it in 2013, obviously it has a 2013 manufacture date, but the Moto factory is still churning out brand new XT1058s. If you are curious, the manufacture date is listed on the box, OR you can find it by issuing "fastboot getvar all". I understand your reluctance to send money to this gentleman - fortunately you never updated to 4.4.2 so you can still use the 4.4 exploits. This is the ONLY option to achieve full root for those on 4.4.2+

Again, I highly recommend using the manual method (using fastboot/mfastboot) listed in the Return to Stock thread. Faster and easier than using RSD Lite, IMO.

Please let us know if the procedure I outlined fixes your problem once you have completed all the steps.

I must make a slight revision to my previous statements:

We always advise users to never downgrade, because IF the bootloader OR gpt.bin (partition table) changed between the updates, the phone will be a brick. There is one exception: You CAN successfully downgrade 4.4 to the 4.2.2 Post-Camera Update firmware (NOT the original 4.2.2), because this is the only version where neither the bootloader, nor partition table was updated.

Upon reading up on SlapMyMoto, it is necessary to 'downgrade' to the 4.2.2 Post-Camera Update.

Please do not use the guide you linked from Reddit -- jcase has since released a NEW version of SlapMyMoto, and you should follow the new guide here: http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/orig-development/4-4-root-slapmymoto-1-0-motowpnomo-t2538896

Also, you won't be flashing the 4.4 SBF as I had previously stated, but rather the Post-Camera Update firmware that is linked in jcase's thread.

Flash the AT&T file linked in jcase's thread, per the "Return to Stock" manual method, then follow the instructions in his thread.

This should fix your issues.

Sorry for the confusion....I haven't used SlapMyMoto personally, as I have an unlocked bootloader. In hindsight, I should have read up on SlapMyMoto before I advised you....

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Essentially, the other day, my Google services stopped working, due to something in my hosts file. I booted into recovery, and commented out android.clients.google.com mtalk.google.com, which had pointed to 74.125.93.113
From the OP, it looks like you edited the HOSTS file and have had problems since, but you do not say if you un-did your host file edit.

Did you?

If no, you should try that first. try and put the original, unmodified hosts file on there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.