[app]Maxthon Mobile Browser - v2.2 Build 2782 - NEW ADD-ONS FRAMEWORK

Search This thread

maxthon

Feb 10, 2011
San Francisco
536-maxthon-box.jpg
Maxthon Mobile Browser
Current Version 2.2 build 2782

We recently launched our mobile browser, and would love to hear what you guys think about it. I believe if our app will NOT achieve any success if we do not pay very very close attention to our users. We have to thank all of the wonderful folks here at XDA who provided many great suggestions to our product. The suggestions/comments are extremely useful and valuable.

Features:
- Sync to the Cloud - Your bookmarks/favorites travel with you from desktop to mobile.
- Theme/Skin - Ever-growing collection of skins that can customize your browser the way you like it
- WWW/WAP switch - Switch between www and WAP versions of the web at your fingertip
- RSS reader widget - Find, manage and read your favorite content quickly and easily
- Speed Dial - Quick access of the best sites on the web.
- Download Manager - Makes it easy to sort, schedule and grab the downloads you need: wherever, whenever.
- Super Gesture - Use touch screen commands to surf with your fingertips.
- Tab browsing - Powerful tab management that puts your mobile screen to maximum use.
- Amazing speed - Get websites super fast.
- Powerful personalization - Avatars and more.

Build 2782 adds the following features & improvements:
+Added brand new add-ons framework
+Three new add-ons: Bookmark Backup, Webpage Snapshot, Task Killer
+Added search button in homepage toolbar
*Provided better tips/messaging in address bar
*Fixed unable to cancel gesture bug
*Fixed other crash related bugs

[known issues] !=known X=fixed
X clear history and cache when exit

[feature requests] +=accepted X=rejected
+ options to set your own gesture
+ flash support
- user definable cache size/memory usage settings
- user bookmarks available for quick access selection (already available in PC version)
- ad block
- load page in “overview” default but have user disable button
- menu button brings back url window, tabs and buttons
- user customizable themes
- enable/disable floating buttons
- needs finger friendly text selection (Miren)
- allow for multiple account syncs (google, aol, yahoo, etc)
- new tab “+” needs to be next to current tab
- enable/disable input box zoom
- user definable “double tap” zoom percentage

Special thanks to Lokifish Marz (Russ) for helping out with the template of this page, as well as many, many suggestions related to this product.

Attachments

• home.jpg
    home.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,983
  • account.jpg
    account.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 2,042
  • Maxthon_for_Android.apk
    2.4 MB · Views: 335
Last edited:

irish22022

Oct 7, 2010
I dont understand the gestures. Is there a way to set your own? Is there a way to just go back or forward with a screen swipe? I see the yellow line but I dont see any settings for it.

Other then that, its passed my 10 minute test. Ill try it longer. Haven't tried flash yet, or sharing links, copy and paste. Cool ui though. Very miren.

maxthon

Feb 10, 2011
San Francisco
@irish22022, thanks alot for your feedback.... we'll thinking of adding gestures setting in future releases.. =) Please stay tuned, and let us know any other feedback after more testing,,, thanks alot again Irish22022.

XlAfbk

Aug 11, 2010
@XlAfbk, are you trying to access http://signin.google.com/ ?

Or you are trying to sign into any Google service? By the way, I was able to sign into Gmail...

Please let us know, thanks alot =)

I'm trying to signin to any google service, e.g. mail, reader, directly from homepage, ...
problem prolly exists with 2-way-auth only, make sure to enable that for testing. I just confirmed the issue in SDK emulator, it's definitly a bug in your browser, doesn't happen in any other

BanziBaby

Oct 21, 2010
Hi,

Been using this for past couple of days.

Good points.
1 Fast but not the fastest
2 Instant back
3 RSS doesn't seem to auto start any more
4 Nice layout

Bad points
1 Uses way too much memory, only had Maxthon running with one tab but it was using over 95mb & between 0 & 60% of CPU
2 No real way to customise search engines, always searches google.com & not google.co.uk
3 Start page with the collapsible links looks like Miren & again doesn't seem to allow changing or editing the links

All in all a lot better than v1 but still some room for improvement, suffice to say uninstalled dolphin mini to use this as backup browser as Xscope Pro is main browser.

Cheers,
Banzi.

sageDieu

Oct 18, 2010
1. If you open a secure link from another app (say my friend sends me a Facebook link, https://Facebook.com...) then it puts HTTP:// in from of the already existing protocol designator. That should be fixed.
2. It still has the issue where sometimes on opening it it will reopen links that I've clicked before in a new tab and I have to close it.

3. You should definitely get flash options working (e.g. always on, click to play, etc) because A. flash ads are annoying and mess with mobile formatting and B. they use a lot of memory.
4. It would be really nice if we could choose what the default page is, like bookmarks or a new tab page or something. I never use the home page with all those links, I'd like to be able to open the browser straight to whatever page I want.
5. This isn't an issue, just personal preference... I love that you guys got themes working, but I don't really like glossy gradients, like on the tab. I think it would look better if it were just a dark gray to medium gray from the bottom to the top of the tap to give it a shadowy look instead of shiny. (that's on the gray theme of course but the same principle would apply.)

All in all, great work and you guys have really improved this browser.

Sent from my MIUI SCH-i500

maxthon

Feb 10, 2011
San Francisco
@BanziBaby, thanks for trying it out. It is the bad points that we pay extra attention to. The bad points are great great suggestions...

maxthon

Feb 10, 2011
San Francisco
@sageDieu, thanks much for taking the time to give us these comments.

Yes, we're aware of the issue with secure links. =(

Also, we LOVE the default page suggestion from you......

sageDieu

Oct 18, 2010
@BanziBaby, thanks for trying it out. It is the bad points that we pay extra attention to. The bad points are great great suggestions...
I believe one good way to conserve memory would be to have flash click to play as I suggested. I've noticed very major memory spikes when even a couple of simple flash ads are loading on a site. And on some music blogs and things that have a lot of little flash players (like up to 20 on a page) it becomes almost unusable.

you're welcome btw, glad to help. I love beta testing and bug reporting :p

Sent from my MIUI SCH-i500

Last edited:

marcedli

Sep 23, 2010
Budapest
Nice work guys, just downloaded and tried out:

I would have few notes for first sight

1. When you drag the page and try to scroll up/down there is at about 5-7 millimeters of finger-move when nothing happens. Scrolling shoud be instant and not laggy. BTW at the same time for basic scrolling movements (r/l/u/d) appears the yellow line too, which is useless as far as it's not a gesture.

suggestion: no line for scrolling gestures
try to find cause of that lag

2. When I enter an URL and the page appears i like to have an overview of the whole page first in order to find the interesting part easily.

suggestion: It would be good to have page overview as default page loading method or at least a switcher in the settings for it.

3. Entering URL during browsing is not comfortable.
-there's no possibility of that in fullscreen mode
-in normal mode you have to scroll to the top, but the url bar is still not there, THEN u grab the page again and pull it down: now u can see the bar.

suggestion: easiest would be when u push the menu button the url bar appears too, or at least a button for the menu for new page; both in normal/fullscreen mode

Thx, it's a really good start :)

edit: forgot to mention - Samsung Galaxy S

Last edited:

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
Another bug found. When posting in forums (this one for example) you are unable to attach files. This is not an issue with the stock browser, Firefox Mobile or Miren.

Also. What's the word on flash content floating above the browser UI and a "Desktop UI" option?

(Having the two threads is a little confusing. Hopefully this is the right thread for 2.0.)

maxthon

Feb 10, 2011
San Francisco
@marcedli,

suggestion 1) is very very nice, and we're aware of this now
suggestion 2) what do you mean by the page overview?
suggestion 3) I am seeing the addressbar when I browser, are you referring to a particular page when you browse and you dont see the addressbar?

Thanks for all the great feedback.... =)

maxthon

Feb 10, 2011
San Francisco
@Lokifish Marz, thanks for reporting the bug of not able to attach files

"What's the word on flash content floating above the browser UI and a "Desktop UI" option?", i know that you dont mean by UA strings, but can you elaborate a little more?

Also, what do you mean by two threads? You mean I have two threads for Maxthon Mobile in XDA? Thanks much =)

Lokifish Marz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 13, 2011
Olympus Mons, Mars
martian-imperium.com
@Lokifish Marz, thanks for reporting the bug of not able to attach files

"What's the word on flash content floating above the browser UI and a "Desktop UI" option?", i know that you dont mean by UA strings, but can you elaborate a little more?

Also, what do you mean by two threads? You mean I have two threads for Maxthon Mobile in XDA? Thanks much =)

If you guys get the file upload and flash/iframe issue fixed you'll be ahead of everybody else. Only the stock browser has file upload, proper flash/iframe binding and flash playback.

Examples of a "Desktop UI" As far as the feature set, it's covered in the linked thread. If you have more questions or need more specific details then feel free to PM me.

BanziBaby

Oct 21, 2010
Some other observations,

Opening a boo0kmark always opens in a new tab even if open in new tab isn't ticked in options.

As the poster above says if you use the built in task switcher on galaxy S the browser always seems to open another tab that replicates one that is already open.

Can't seem to find a way to use speed dial as main page rather than the links page there is the now or is that the speed dial page?

On demand option for flash is needed badly as all the flash ad's slow down browsing.

More themes or support for user themes (the gray theme is more blue than grey & a black theme would be nice)

Keep up the great work, damn fine browser you have made.

Cheers,
Banzi.

maxthon

Feb 10, 2011
San Francisco
@BanziBaby, thanks for all the great feedback.

On demand flash and flash playback is already in the works..

the speed dial page is the page when you open a new tab...=)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    536-maxthon-box.jpg
    Maxthon Mobile Browser
    Current Version 2.2 build 2782

We recently launched our mobile browser, and would love to hear what you guys think about it. I believe if our app will NOT achieve any success if we do not pay very very close attention to our users. We have to thank all of the wonderful folks here at XDA who provided many great suggestions to our product. The suggestions/comments are extremely useful and valuable.

Features:
    - Sync to the Cloud - Your bookmarks/favorites travel with you from desktop to mobile.
    - Theme/Skin - Ever-growing collection of skins that can customize your browser the way you like it
    - WWW/WAP switch - Switch between www and WAP versions of the web at your fingertip
    - RSS reader widget - Find, manage and read your favorite content quickly and easily
    - Speed Dial - Quick access of the best sites on the web.
    - Download Manager - Makes it easy to sort, schedule and grab the downloads you need: wherever, whenever.
    - Super Gesture - Use touch screen commands to surf with your fingertips.
    - Tab browsing - Powerful tab management that puts your mobile screen to maximum use.
    - Amazing speed - Get websites super fast.
    - Powerful personalization - Avatars and more.

Build 2782 adds the following features & improvements:
    +Added brand new add-ons framework
    +Three new add-ons: Bookmark Backup, Webpage Snapshot, Task Killer
    +Added search button in homepage toolbar
    *Provided better tips/messaging in address bar
    *Fixed unable to cancel gesture bug
    *Fixed other crash related bugs

[known issues] !=known X=fixed
    X clear history and cache when exit

[feature requests] +=accepted X=rejected
    + options to set your own gesture
    + flash support
    - user definable cache size/memory usage settings
    - user bookmarks available for quick access selection (already available in PC version)
    - ad block
    - load page in “overview” default but have user disable button
    - menu button brings back url window, tabs and buttons
    - user customizable themes
    - enable/disable floating buttons
    - needs finger friendly text selection (Miren)
    - allow for multiple account syncs (google, aol, yahoo, etc)
    - new tab “+” needs to be next to current tab
    - enable/disable input box zoom
    - user definable “double tap” zoom percentage

Special thanks to Lokifish Marz (Russ) for helping out with the template of this page, as well as many, many suggestions related to this product.
    can't sign in to google, i always end up on http://https://signin.google.com/... after entering my login data with 2-way-auth enabled (and yes, i tried removing one of the protocol identifiers)
    @britoso, Maxthon Mobile is based on Webkit; Maxthon PC is dual-mode with webkit and trident.. Give it a try...=)
    @pendevous, thanks for the kind words.. we plan to release another update next week. the new release will fix many existing bugs and come with many improvements.... please stay tuned...=)
    @pendevous, we understand what you described, and we're working on a good solution for it....=)