[Q] WiFi Bounce During Poor Cell Coverage

Search This thread

ThePhoneGeek

May 13, 2012
An Undisclosed Location
So I have noticed this problem since the 4.3 upgrades have been out and it continues through the 4.4.2.

I have this problem at home on WiFi, when I am at home I have terrible cell coverage usually bouncing between no coverage and one bar. It seems that when I am bouncing between no cell coverage and one bar my WiFi drops and immediately reconnects.

I had originally thought that my access point was the culprit as I hadn't noticed it happening when I dropped in and out of cell coverage. So I replaced my WiFi system as the one I was on was 8-10 years old. So upgraded to new hardware (WiFi) and tried both 2.4g and 5g and problem persisted.

I have used stock roms, and others, currently on ViperOne 5.8. I have updated to the most current firmware along the way, I even flashed a full RUU and started over last weekend. In addition I have this issue on all three devices in the house (all HTC One M7's).

So today I tried something I should have thought of sooner. I put the phone in airplane mode and then turned on WiFi and noticed that the problem went away, consistent WiFi, no WiFi drop, bounce, etc.

So anyone have an idea as to why this would happen and how I can solve it or is it something that is not solvable except by HTC/Google?

Thanks all.

MG

graycorgi

Apr 23, 2010
Dallas
So I have noticed this problem since the 4.3 upgrades have been out and it continues through the 4.4.2.

I have this problem at home on WiFi, when I am at home I have terrible cell coverage usually bouncing between no coverage and one bar. It seems that when I am bouncing between no cell coverage and one bar my WiFi drops and immediately reconnects.

I had originally thought that my access point was the culprit as I hadn't noticed it happening when I dropped in and out of cell coverage. So I replaced my WiFi system as the one I was on was 8-10 years old. So upgraded to new hardware (WiFi) and tried both 2.4g and 5g and problem persisted.

I have used stock roms, and others, currently on ViperOne 5.8. I have updated to the most current firmware along the way, I even flashed a full RUU and started over last weekend. In addition I have this issue on all three devices in the house (all HTC One M7's).

So today I tried something I should have thought of sooner. I put the phone in airplane mode and then turned on WiFi and noticed that the problem went away, consistent WiFi, no WiFi drop, bounce, etc.

So anyone have an idea as to why this would happen and how I can solve it or is it something that is not solvable except by HTC/Google?

Thanks all.

MG

I think this is an HTC bug. I've seen many users here complain of this on the Sprint model. I have the same issue as well. I have mine set so I can see if I am on 4G or 3G even while I am connected to WiFi. I notice this bug happens exclusively (and nearly every time) when the phone goes from 4G -> 3G.

ThePhoneGeek

May 13, 2012
An Undisclosed Location
I think this is an HTC bug. I've seen many users here complain of this on the Sprint model. I have the same issue as well. I have mine set so I can see if I am on 4G or 3G even while I am connected to WiFi. I notice this bug happens exclusively (and nearly every time) when the phone goes from 4G -> 3G.

I don't have 4G in my area so that isn't a factor for me but I can see potentially this happening between 2G and 3G and I am usually roaming here so that would make sense.

Thx.

MG

johndoehizzle

Jan 4, 2010
This also happens to me at home while connected to my WiFi , really annoying ,or sometimes if I'm at work .no WiFi connection ,it'll show I have 3g but won't let me load pages.

Sent from my HTCONE using xda app-developers app

tommy24

Jul 6, 2010
I had that problem as well, I even called Sprint, and they sent me an Airave which is on it's way now. Yet, the tower near my house (6 miles away) was fixed-ish today and it stops that whole reconnect and disconnect garbage. Plus, I get lte in about 80% of my house. This wifi mess was going on since December and I put my phone on roaming most of the time to make it a little more stable.

johndoehizzle

Jan 4, 2010
Just reporting back. I reverted to the previous radio this morning and my connection seemed to stay on. Not sure if I'm trippin or if it really is working better .gomna test it out some more and flash the newest radio and check if there's a difference.

Sent from my One using xda app-developers app