New firmware, V21Y for G2X showing in LGMobile Support Tool

Search This thread

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
I wonder sometimes if the devs are not coordinating and planning these leaks. Surely they are on XDA. From what I have experienced in the IT industry, it is always good to expand outside of internal testing and move into a phase of a larger audience by getting the product into the hands of a few customers. Analyze the results.. make necessary changes... then do a larger launch..

I've seen this happen multiple times while on XDA.. I feel pretty comfortable in saying that these are planned leaks, planned removals of the leaks, and they are currently analyzing the posts on XDA.. As a matter of fact, I bet the devs and management are fist pumping the fact that other roms aren't working on this baseband..

That is basically what I said before. They decide to do an initial release of so many thousand devices. As soon as that many have been updated the release is pulled until the fallout of the release can be evaulated. Normally they use TMO employees for that phase, but most of them have probably moved on to newer devices by now. This happens almost every time with every LG rom release.

emacomputer

Apr 23, 2010
Cataño
dont work here running win 7 ultimate said the LGUserCSTool LgMobile Application has stopped working

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/img20070101045453.jpg/

img20070101045453.jpg

Core Memory

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto
That is basically what I said before. They decide to do an initial release of so many thousand devices. As soon as that many have been updated the release is pulled until the fallout of the release can be evaulated. Normally they use TMO employees for that phase, but most of them have probably moved on to newer devices by now. This happens almost every time with every LG rom release.

LG does it because it doesn't produce the phone's operating system and is restricted from distributing source code essential for independent development so they use end-user consumers for "testing" which is highly unethical. LG's denial that the V21Y_00.kdz update exists is proof that LG is untrustworthy and that its promise to provide ICS for the Optimus 2X is not believable. Why does LG waste $, effort, and time on updating Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), releasing it temporarily, withdrawing it, lying about its existence instead of devoting those resources to developoing ICS for the Optimus 2X and G2X? Why? Because they have no intention of doing that. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Last edited:

schmit

Apr 21, 2011
Passing through..

Yep.. I don't think it's a stretch to say that most, if not all of the manufacturers are doing this on XDA. When I was in IT, that's what we did.. but customer's knew. We would hit them up via different means, looking for testers. We would target a few hundred at first.. then wait a week, analyze the feedback, systems, etc.. If things went good, we would up it to a thousand or 2.. If things went good, we announced the new product, set a date, and then launched. Prior to the date of launch, we would have the Contact Center start switching customers on every caller they spoke to. B4 launch, we would have 10k+ customers on the system. At any time if something was discovered, we fixed the probs and restarted the testing phase.

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

LG does it because it doesn't produce the phone's operating system and is restricted from distributing source code essential for independent development so they use end-user consumers for "testing" which is highly unethical. LG's denial that the V21Y_00.kdz update exists is proof that LG is untrustworthy and that its promise to provide ICS for the Optimus 2X is not believable. Why does LG waste $, effort, and time on updating Android 2.3 (Gingerbread), releasing it temporarily, withdrawing it, lying about its existence instead of devoting those resources to developoing ICS for the Optimus 2X and G2X? Why? Because they have no intention of doing that. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Agreed.. one would think that if they were releasing ICS as promised, the leak would have been ICS. Why put any resources/time into gb if you're releasing ICS? I can only come up with one other logical conclusion.. that the real release/testing phase is the baseband.. with ICS in their back pocket. That's a stretch imho..

enyahs

Mar 29, 2010
Warrensburg
Honestly, by the time they release (IF they ever did) Ice Cream Sandwich for the g2x, to me it would be almost completely pointless. I have had my g2x since the release date so im already a year into my two year upgrade. It will be months to come before they release it (again IF they did) since they just released a gb update. By that time I would be looking into a new phone. I have an upgrade in February so it will be so long g2x then.

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
Honestly, by the time they release (IF they ever did) Ice Cream Sandwich for the g2x, to me it would be almost completely pointless. I have had my g2x since the release date so im already a year into my two year upgrade. It will be months to come before they release it (again IF they did) since they just released a gb update. By that time I would be looking into a new phone. I have an upgrade in February so it will be so long g2x then.

They probably did the upgrade a maintenance upgrade because many TMO customers having problems with 2.3.3. This comes at little or no cost to TMO. But a release to ICS is a major upgrade and TMO has to be a fee based on every handset sold. Since TMO declared the G2X EOL there is no way they will pay the fee for an upgrade to ICS, and LG is not going to do it for free. So the G2X is, IMO, 99% not getting an official ICS upgrade. Only the P990 versions that have not been EOL'd by their carriers or LG non-branded handsets will be getting the upgrades. Take Canada for example. The carriers there, except for Fido which is using the P990, won't pay for a Gingerbread upgrade so their customers (Videotron and Wind) are stuck on official Froyo still.

Reactions: enyahs

enyahs

Mar 29, 2010
Warrensburg
Makes perfect sense.I like how you know what your talking about. and yeah that sounds very true. I am satisfied with the new update from a couple days ago i guess. I dont really have any major complaints about the g2x, and it will definitely remain my backup when i get a new phone in Feb. since it is still a pretty slick and quick device.

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
Makes perfect sense.I like how you know what your talking about. and yeah that sounds very true. I am satisfied with the new update from a couple days ago i guess. I dont really have any major complaints about the g2x, and it will definitely remain my backup when i get a new phone in Feb. since it is still a pretty slick and quick device.

I got another phone that works on 850Mhz 3/4G for a specific carrier here in Thailand. I keep vacillating on whether to sell my G2X or keep it as a backup. Since it only gets 3G on a 2nd tier carrier here it would be hard to sell in Thailand. It would require the effort on selling it on ebay and then shipping it back to the U.S. Always a chance same a-hole tries to screw you with an eBay complaint just to score a free phone. Lots of crap buyers on ebay, more so than crap sellers.

Core Memory

Oct 24, 2011
Toronto
I got another phone that works on 850Mhz 3/4G for a specific carrier here in Thailand. I keep vacillating on whether to sell my G2X or keep it as a backup. Since it only gets 3G on a 2nd tier carrier here it would be hard to sell in Thailand. It would require the effort on selling it on ebay and then shipping it back to the U.S. Always a chance same a-hole tries to screw you with an eBay complaint just to score a free phone. Lots of crap buyers on ebay, more so than crap sellers.

I saw an episode of Judge Judy, which I very rarely watch, which had a U.S. based Ebay seller who sold an unused cell phone locked to a Canadian carrier to someone in the U.S. who couldn't use it on their chosen network and the buyer got their money back but kept the phone. The buyer didn't want to return the phone as "punishment" to the seller for scamming her even though the seller's advert plainly stated that the cell phone was locked to a Canadian carrier. Judge Judy forced the buyer to return the cell phone but the seller didn't get the box, charger, manuals, etc. back.

Another seller scammed the buyer by selling her two pictures of two cell phones for hundreds of dollars each. The buyer thought they were buying cell phones but, buried in the seller's advert, there was a statement that a picture of the cell phone was being bid on. Judge Judy awarded almost three times, $1,000, what the buyer paid. That seller had also scammed other buyers and was under investigation by the Attorney General of the state the buyers are in. Since it was an inter-state transaction, the seller has committed federal crimes such as mail fraud, inter-state fraud, and other federal offenses.

jboxer

Apr 16, 2009
Bangkok
I saw an episode of Judge Judy, which I very rarely watch, which had a U.S. based Ebay seller who sold an unused cell phone locked to a Canadian carrier to someone in the U.S. who couldn't use it on their chosen network and the buyer got their money back but kept the phone. The buyer didn't want to return the phone as "punishment" to the seller for scamming her even though the seller's advert plainly stated that the cell phone was locked to a Canadian carrier. Judge Judy forced the buyer to return the cell phone but the seller didn't get the box, charger, manuals, etc. back.

Another seller scammed the buyer by selling her two pictures of two cell phones for hundreds of dollars each. The buyer thought they were buying cell phones but, buried in the seller's advert, there was a statement that a picture of the cell phone was being bid on. Judge Judy awarded almost three times, $1,000, what the buyer paid. That seller had also scammed other buyers and was under investigation by the Attorney General of the state the buyers are in. Since it was an inter-state transaction, the seller has committed federal crimes such as mail fraud, inter-state fraud, and other federal offenses.

I have seen people post the dummy phones on eBay also that stores use as displays. They put dummy in the title but them describe it like it is a real phone. I have seem them go for hundreds of dollars. I am sure the buyers were not happy when they got their non working dummy phones. You can buy the dummy phones from China for about ten to twenty dollars each.

lotherius

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2009
Houston, TX
Google Pixel 6

Hate to say it but that's true to some extent. I've only been hit once, but once hurts. Sold my HTC Touch Vogue a few years ago (Windows Mobile device) for around $200, and the buyer claimed Sprint told them it was stolen. Their credit card charged back my paypal account. They claimed they couldn't return the phone because Sprint "confiscated" it due to it being stolen, and I ended up hit with the full chargeback and no phone.

buru898

Hate to say it but that's true to some extent. I've only been hit once, but once hurts. Sold my HTC Touch Vogue a few years ago (Windows Mobile device) for around $200, and the buyer claimed Sprint told them it was stolen. Their credit card charged back my paypal account. They claimed they couldn't return the phone because Sprint "confiscated" it due to it being stolen, and I ended up hit with the full chargeback and no phone.

Oh man I hate how people can be at times... horrible people...

Next time make a video of the phone working, then you can sue the other party.

korny647

Mar 14, 2012
Portland OR
I wonder sometimes if the devs are not coordinating and planning these leaks. Surely they are on XDA. From what I have experienced in the IT industry, it is always good to expand outside of internal testing and move into a phase of a larger audience by getting the product into the hands of a few customers. Analyze the results.. make necessary changes... then do a larger launch..

I've seen this happen multiple times while on XDA.. I feel pretty comfortable in saying that these are planned leaks, planned removals of the leaks, and they are currently analyzing the posts on XDA.. As a matter of fact, I bet the devs and management are fist pumping the fact that other roms aren't working on this baseband..

+1. For real right.

Sent from my LG-P999 using XDA

gpmartinson

Feb 28, 2010
ready to plunge in but

I am hesitant about whether devs will support the new baseband. Anyone hear if there is active develoopment to make ROMs that support this?

schmit

Apr 21, 2011
Passing through..
They probably did the upgrade a maintenance upgrade because many TMO customers having problems with 2.3.3. This comes at little or no cost to TMO. But a release to ICS is a major upgrade and TMO has to be a fee based on every handset sold. Since TMO declared the G2X EOL there is no way they will pay the fee for an upgrade to ICS, and LG is not going to do it for free. So the G2X is, IMO, 99% not getting an official ICS upgrade. Only the P990 versions that have not been EOL'd by their carriers or LG non-branded handsets will be getting the upgrades. Take Canada for example. The carriers there, except for Fido which is using the P990, won't pay for a Gingerbread upgrade so their customers (Videotron and Wind) are stuck on official Froyo still.

I'm sure TMO's contract with LG had something in there pertaining to both bug fixes and OS updates..

tantan20171

Feb 15, 2009
I'm sure TMO's contract with LG had something in there pertaining to both bug fixes and OS updates..

I did notice the colors being brighter on this new version like everybody mentioned...... but I'm shocked nobody mentioning the camera app has more option with video guality.... also the gallery app seems different .... when I zoom in on a picture I took it buffers the picture and I'm able to see letters and peoples face more detailed instead of being blurred out. Also Skype works perfectly with the ffc on vertical and horizontal

Last edited:

homerxd

Aug 18, 2011
yesterday I ran into an issue.. when I was trying to download something from phone..it shows up a message saying "Already maximum number of windows open". I had to reboot phone to make it go away.

Is it a known issue in previous stock roms?

mustangtim49

May 20, 2011
Sea of Tranquility, Moon
yesterday I ran into an issue.. when I was trying to download something from phone..it shows up a message saying "Already maximum number of windows open". I had to reboot phone to make it go away.

Is it a known issue in previous stock roms?

Just open settings in the browser and click on windows and close some or all. Then check the option open new window behind the old one. Yeah, I haven't had this problem since my Huawei Ascend.

artifintel@ACSyndicate.net

Reactions: homerxd

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Original Post

I started up the LGMobile Support Tool and selected supported model. When I scrolled down, it shows new firmware, V21y, for the LGP999DW, LGP999DWDU, LGP999DWP but still shows V21e for the LGP999WA.

Update 4/20/2012

The V21Y_00 update (LG T-Mobile branded Android 2.3.4) is not available anymore through the LGMobile Support Tool and LG has removed the direct download link to the V21Y_00.kdz file. Instead, thanks to another member, overground, it is now available from http://www.mediafire.com/?obr7717n1ebj2qa
    Get it while you can in case LG files a DMCA complaint against Mediafire.

overground
    Today, 12:48 PM
    # 315

Yeah, seems LG has removed the update from their servers.
    I've uploaded V21y here = http://www.mediafire.com/?obr7717n1ebj2qa
    @CoreMemory: Feel free to put the link in the OP.

IMPORTANT!

A lot of peeps have had trouble installing the V21Y_00.kdz file. There are many variables which can cause installation failure which are due to "operator error" and/or computer idiosyncracies. This thread and others have information about various methods used to overcome update problems so, if at first you don't succeed, read the thread(s) and keep trying.

As well, this update will install a new baseband and an LG and T-Mobile branded Android 2.3.4 ROM. LG has made some serious changes to the baseband which prevents other ROMs, except for a modded version of the same Android 2.3.4 ROM or the newest versions of CM7 and some other ROMs (which you can find by searching for compatibility with V21Y/March baseband), from working with in-call audio which is the audio for using the phone as a phone - to make and receive phone calls and for the people on each side of the connection to hear each other. So, if you want to install modded ROMs, other than the a modded version of the V21Y Android 2.3.4 ROM installed by this update or one such as CM7 which is compatible (Weapon isn't), don't update. If you do install it you can revert back to V21e by downloading it and using whatever method you used to successfully install the V21y update.

Before you update to V21Y, save a CWM backup of your existing ROM which you can use to revert back to the installation you now have after you reinstall V21E (including the V21E baseband). You can't use CWM to reinstall V21E, you must use the KDZ updater with the V21E kdz file then use CWM to restore your previously installed V21E modded ROM and Kernel. Good Luck!

If you want to revert to V21E Android 2.3.3 and the compatible baseband, get the V21E kdz update file here: http://www.2shared.com/file/WVH0y09f/V21E_00.html

INSTRUCTIONS

There's usually no need to revert your phone back to a stock ROM. If you use the following method, you can install any G2X/P999 .kdz update file (V10f, V21e, V21y, etc.) over almost any ROM, including modded ones. If you want to eliminate a potential update problem, revert to a stock ROM first. If the update didn't work, and you bricked your phone, you need to revert back to a stock ROM which you can do by following the instructions here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1248644&highlight=unbrick+phone

I successfully used Windows Virtual PC in XP Mode to install the .kdz file but you may be able to install it in Windows XP and Windows 7 (32 and 64 bit), as others have successfully done, by using LG_KDZ_FW-Update_OfflineFix as follows:

First,
    From the OP by adixtra at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1287236
    1. download: LG_KDZ_FW-Update_OfflineFix (OFFLINE INSTALLER DOWNLOAD)
    2. download: KDZ_FW_UPD_EN (DOWNLOAD FLASHING PROGRAMS)
    3. download: ROOT USING SuperOneClick
    DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY OF THE OTHER FILES THERE!

Alternative to downloading the #1 and #2 files listed above,
    here's a link to instructions and files, by spyrosk, which includes almost everything (except for SuperOneClick and the .kdz update file) which installs and runs by using an included VB Script
    : http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22189294&postcount=30

You will still need the .kdz file of your choice to use with it.

Second,
    Download the V21Y_00.kdz upgrade/update file which, although LG has removed the V21Y_00.kdz file from their server, thanks to another member, overground, it is now available from http://www.mediafire.com/?obr7717n1ebj2qa

Third,
    From the OP by Kairi_zeroblade at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1566681
    download CWM-Based Recovery 5.0.2.8

Fourth,
    Carry out the steps in adixtra's OP at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1287236 with the V21y_00.kdz file you downloaded by selecting it from wherever you downloaded it to.

It takes about 10 minutes to complete.

Fifth,
    Afterwards, you will have to root it with SuperOneClick and install CWM if you want to use it for backing up, restoring, etc. (saving your butt) otherwise if you restore it will be the stock v21y installation.

XP MODE Instructions

If you don't succeed with Windows 7 or Windows XP (which it should have), it may work with XP Mode in Virtual PC. The LG Modem drivers have to be installed in Windows 7 first then, after you get XP Mode operating, carry out the steps again. After you connect the phone to the computer, you will have to attach the phone's USB port in XP Mode from the XP Mode USB menu. During the update process, the phone's USB port will detach, you'll hear an alert sound, and you must reattach the USB port again from the XP Mode USB menu. That will happen a few times until the process completes. Here's instructions from Microsoft about how to install and use Windows XP mode in Windows 7 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7.

Also,

Have a look at Enyah's thread for information about how others have successfully updated to V21Y_00.kdz http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1610597

Have a look at Rafase282's post too, it repeats some content from my thread and others' but has some additional content http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26935107&postcount=3
    I am hesitant about whether devs will support the new baseband. Anyone hear if there is active develoopment to make ROMs that support this?

I'm working on one. Still a ways to go but shouldn't be too much longer to get it stable.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium
    Yeah, seems LG has removed the update from their servers.
    I've uploaded V21y here = http://www.mediafire.com/?obr7717n1ebj2qa
    @CoreMemory: Feel free to put the link in the OP.
    Did you read the posts above yours? It appears LG pulled the update. Download the KDZ from the OP that CoreMemory so generously provided and use the KDZ Updater on a Windows XP machine to perform the udpate.

Thanks jboxer for the credits.

I use Windows Virtual PC in XP Mode to install the .kdz file but you may be able to install it in Windows 7 by using LG_KDZ_FW-Update_OfflineFix as follows:

First,
    From the OP by adixtra at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1287236
    1. download: LG_KDZ_FW-Update_OfflineFix (OFFLINE INSTALLER DOWNLOAD)
    2. download: KDZ_FW_UPD_EN (DOWNLOAD FLASHING PROGRAMS)
    3. download: ROOT USING SuperOneClick
    DO NOT DOWNLOAD ANY OF THE OTHER FILES THERE!

Second,
    From the OP/first page of this thread, download V21y_00.kdz

Third,
    From the OP by Kairi_zeroblade at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1566681
    download CWM-Based Recovery 5.0.2.8

Carry out the steps in adixtra's OP at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1287236 with the V21y_00.kdz file you downloaded by selecting it from wherever you downloaded it to.

It takes about 10 minutes to complete.

Afterwards, you will have to root it with SuperOneClick and install CWM if you want to use it for backing up, restoring, etc. (saving your butt) otherwise if you restore it will be the stock v21y installation.
    so why does this BB not work with ICS roms, but the older BB does?

if i go back to stock to get this BB and then flash an ICS rom and it doesnt work, is there a way to put the old BB back on the phone so i can use ICS?

i dont like this update. bought the phone yesterday with it already on, didnt know about the call sound being f''ed up. until i got a call today. now i have to go back to the stock rooted rom in this forum... :( i miss miui

This has already been CLEARLY covered many many times but I'll entertain you guys...

The new Baseband is perfectly fine. Really. There's NOTHING wrong with it.

What's WRONG is that it is NEW. Get it? NEW? .. That means developers haven't had time to implement compatibility for it into existing Roms.

Which means if you install CM7 or CM9 or even Tsugi or Weapon or ANY ROM THAT HAS NOT BEEN UPDATED TO USE THE NEW BASEBAND, then you are going to have problems. Simple. Clear. Covered lots of times.

Now, as far as a solution... there are instructions all over the forums which I won't link to since you can use search, to revert back to the July Baseband. Yes, that will even work on a brand new phone that come preloaded with the new Baseband.

Good luck!