SDHC in Hurricane

Search This thread

Keynot

May 22, 2010
Hello,
I'm new here and I wanna get my 8GB SDHC card working in my SDA II.
I already tired several ROMs and several SDHC drivers for the Hurricane, f. e. hxxp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=351586 or hxxp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=344338 , but at anyway none did work after all :mad:

So I have a SDA II with inside a microSD 8GB Kensington with miniSD Adapter and atm hxxp://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=475286 that ROM (WM 6.1) patched with some SDHC drivers but my SDHC card is not recognised by the phone...

Anyone got an idea?
Thanks in advance
Keyno(t)

Ouw and btw: is there any ROM for this phone with WM5 or WM6.5 in English? I only found the 6.5 Chinese version... or how to change it to English?

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
I doubt you will find anything for SDHC on this device. Only for Tornado - after a long wait - someone found out that OMAP850 drivers for the Startrk could also be used for the Tornado.
I don't know how the Startrk drivers were created, but for sure there are HTC devices using OMAP 850 which have SDHC support on WM6. So it was sure that the Tornado can support it as well from HW point of view.
If you do not want to create a low level driver for OMAP 750 yourself, you could invest in finding a device with OMAP 750 (like the Hurricane uses) that has WM6 and SDHC support. It is however not likely you find one :-(

If you like your Hurricane - don't worry. You can replace the PBA inside the Hurricane with a Tornado PBA without any other change to the device. They are 1:1 compatible (mechanically: identical size in any regard and electrically: LCD, keyboard, Camera).
So if you find a broken Tornado (no matter how worn or cracked) where the PBA is still alive - get it and give it a new live in your housing of the Hurricane.

Keynot

May 22, 2010
Hey tobbbie!

Thanks very much for your reply! Und ach ja, ich bin auch Deutscher :-D
Hmm soooo, it would be very hard to find/create a driver for the Hurricane, right? But why are there topics with drivers made for the hurricane?

And otherwhise I'd have to open the phone and change the PBA with a Tornado one, right? But can I take that PBA out so easily? I won't have to solder or anything like that?

Again, thanks for your help! :)
Keyno(t)

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
There are no Hurricane specific driver threads. It is a re-use of generic WM 6 variant drivers on top of the low-level drivers.

And yes - if you manage to open the case (be careful when opening not to rip away the flex cables for camera and keyboard) then there is no soldering required.
Look up the service manuals for either Tornado or Hurricane (even Typhoon will do) to get an idea which screws to remove and how to remove the antenna cover. Challenge is to swap the LCD if you need to - some delicate handling of the flex connector as well there.

No impossible mission, but you need some mechanical skills and a rainy day without time pressure if you do it the first time.

Depending on your budget the cheapest solution may be to wait for a good opportunity on ebay to buy a used Tornado - they get sold for 20+ euros. If you do not need WLAN, then go for the SPV C600 (France) or the O2 XDA phone - but these are rare species these times.

Keynot

May 22, 2010
Hmm at anyway I don't find anything in ebay I could need...

So you also said it could be possible to write my own driver? Is that true? And you know any How-To's that could help me a bit by this?

And really thank you for your help! :)
Keyno(t)

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Finding this on ebay will require a few weeks - so be patient and keep on looking. How much would you want to spend for a Tornado (XDA phone - no WIFI, or the 8310 with Wifi)?

Regarding the drivers: Seems like you did not get the irony in my comments :) Writing low level drivers is something very special. It is virtually impossible to write a driver on your own - so forget this option!

Keynot

May 22, 2010
Ouw okay, and yes I didn't exactly understand it :D

So I have only one choice :p
I think it shouldn't be more than 20€, max. 30€.

And could I really have also WiFi in my Hurricane, or why you ask all the time about WiFi?
I don't really need it, but if the price just change about 5-10€ I'd rather buy one with WiFi ;)

And again: thank you very much for your help! :)
Greetings
Keyno(t)

tobbbie

Jan 5, 2007
Stuttgart
Did you get it? If you replace the PBA - then you may still have the case of a Hurricane (despite in the US or China the same case carries a Tornado) - but the device is a Tornado then - bye bye Hurricane.
The Tornado was built in two flavours with and without Wifi - more common in Germany was "without" as the O2 XDA phone has no WLAN. The other device is the Qtek 8310 (also in silver as Vodafone VDA 2) which has WLAN. It will only rarely happen that broken devices are sold (people just put them in the waste or return them to the shop for recycling) - but keep on watching.
If you get a fully working Tornado I would not bother to replace the PBA but use it as it is - unless you disassemble it for fun and learning.