HTC Hermes Enhanced-mini-USB to 2.5mm Phone Headset Adapter?

Search This thread

HHumbert

Dec 16, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I'm looking for an adapter for my Cingular 8525 that allows me to plug in a plain ole 2.5mm headset that I've come to love.

I've seen plenty of adapters for sale that allows one to use normal stereo earplugs with the TyTN, such as on http://www.doml.net/productdec.asp?pid=2698&model=HTC_TyTN&modeln=TyTN

The pinout seems to be Pinout from Tracy and Matt's blog

Should I, perhaps, just bust open the crappy Cingular headset and do some soldering? Will the impedence for the microphone be the same? How should I combine the stereo that they have in the crappy headset to the mono that all 2.5mm jacks use?

Thanks!
-Humbert

Last edited by a moderator:

froghat

May 29, 2006
workable, but not great

I used the same pinout to add a 3.5mm jack to the original headset end. The problem is the wires used in the cable are very difficult to solder. They are more like a metallized fabric than plain copper wire. And I am pretty good with fine wire soldering in general.

That said, I did get the jack on (though I'm not thrilled with the non-flowed solder joints) but the output level is pretty low. If I plug it into the input jack on my car stereo, the GSM phone noise (which I *hate*) overwhelms the wired signal every time I change towers.

Bill