What should i do?

Search This thread

08BlackWRX

Mar 16, 2012
Rocky Hill, CT
Ive had my AT&T SGS2 for a few months now (prolly since about a week after it came out) and i absolutely love the phone but tired of Samsung/ AT&T's lack of urgency to get the ICS update out and i was wondering what you guys would be a better choice for me... Root the SGS2 with ICScrewed ROM or sell it and get the GSM Galaxy Nexus? Im a pretty tech savy so i can handle rooting the phone, ive unlocked and jailbroken plenty of iphones so this should be just as easy.... i love having the latest and greatest software, so the nexus in the point is great for me but i do love my SGS2... what should i do!?

Thanks,

Justin

tylercarter

Mar 1, 2011
Illinois
Ive had my AT&T SGS2 for a few months now (prolly since about a week after it came out) and i absolutely love the phone but tired of Samsung/ AT&T's lack of urgency to get the ICS update out and i was wondering what you guys would be a better choice for me... Root the SGS2 with ICScrewed ROM or sell it and get the GSM Galaxy Nexus? Im a pretty tech savy so i can handle rooting the phone, ive unlocked and jailbroken plenty of iphones so this should be just as easy.... i love having the latest and greatest software, so the nexus in the point is great for me but i do love my SGS2... what should i do!?

Thanks,

Justin

I would keep the sgs2 as a backup and get the galaxy nexus. to be honest the nexus s is a freaking powerhouse that blew my mind. i can only imagine the galaxy nexus. BUT i would read a lot about both phones and compare them. other than updates from google what can the galaxy nexus give you that the gs2 cant? besides it wont be long before source is out and then we'll have ics running good.:D

EnemyOfGlaDOS

Nov 10, 2010
Boulder, Colorado
tough call mate. I've been on the fence about getting the GNexus just for the native ICS..that and the phone is gorgeous. (Decided to get some ink done instead :p) But.. there are plenty of ICS themed ROMs, and it really is only a matter of time before we get a real ICS update. I know not today but I imagine by the end of April we will all be wearing our ICS shoes..maybe not, but then again maybe! The only thing that turns me off about the GNexus is the 5MP camera. I'd hate to downgrade from 8 to 5.. that just kinda sucks. Anyway.. good luck with your decision ;)

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

08BlackWRX

Mar 16, 2012
Rocky Hill, CT
I would keep the sgs2 as a backup and get the galaxy nexus. to be honest the nexus s is a freaking powerhouse that blew my mind. i can only imagine the galaxy nexus. BUT i would read a lot about both phones and compare them. other than updates from google what can the galaxy nexus give you that the gs2 cant? besides it wont be long before source is out and then we'll have ics running good.:D

Well problem with that is, i was going to sell my SGS2 to fund the nexus....

tough call mate. I've been on the fence about getting the GNexus just for the native ICS..that and the phone is gorgeous. (Decided to get some ink done instead :p) But.. there are plenty of ICS themed ROMs, and it really is only a matter of time before we get a real ICS update. I know not today but I imagine by the end of April we will all be wearing our ICS shoes..maybe not, but then again maybe! The only thing that turns me off about the GNexus is the 5MP camera. I'd hate to downgrade from 8 to 5.. that just kinda sucks. Anyway.. good luck with your decision ;)

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

I love the native ICS on the nexus, i know even though we will get the ICS update eventually but wont look anything like what the nexus does im sure, even the ICS on the UK version doesnt look anything like Nexus ICS....Thats the same thing that turns me off from the Nexus too is the camera along with the no sd card slot as well but 16GB is plenty for me though....i do use the camera but not as much to make it a huge deal that its only 5MP....

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY

Thanks,

Justin

What lack of urgency? The I9100 was the second or third non-Nexus phone on the planet to get ICS. HTC only beat Samsung on a select few devices by one week. No one else has deployed ICS to a phone yet.

Reactions: nyydynasty

ryude

Jun 19, 2010
USA
I would keep the sgs2, something better will be out in later and you'll wish you waited to get that. Then again, you can't wait for ICS so why would you wait for another phone?

nyydynasty

Sep 15, 2010

Thanks,

Justin
my suggestion:

1- keep your GS2
2- sit on your couch
3- have a beer
4- be patient.

R

Red5

Unless you're going to buy an unlocked international Nexus, you would be forced to go with Verizon... and I dont suggest that to anyone.

08BlackWRX

Mar 16, 2012
Rocky Hill, CT
What lack of urgency? The I9100 was the second or third non-Nexus phone on the planet to get ICS. HTC only beat Samsung on a select few devices by one week. No one else has deployed ICS to a phone yet.

Ok well maybe i used the wrong with urgency, but maybe a better word is lack of care...its more than likely going to be months before we see ICS....

my suggestion:

1- keep your GS2
2- sit on your couch
3- have a beer
4- be patient.

Can i skip 1 and 2 and just have the beer and i dont have much patience to wait for ics...lol

R

Red5

Ok well maybe i used the wrong with urgency, but maybe a better word is lack of care...its more than likely going to be months before we see ICS....
Source should drop no later than a month from this past week... my guess is that it will be posted between next week and the first of April (Im speculating here) because they have always posted up source relatively fast when it comes to their European Galaxy series. All AT&T sources took forever to drop.

axis01

Oct 5, 2007
so what you guys are saying just keep the SGS2 and root it? whats the most stable ICS rom out right now? or should i wait for a better one to come out?

Your problem is that you aren't satisfied with anything more than a few weeks. Once you get ICS, you'll be wondering when jellybean will come out. It's a vicious and never ending cycle. If you just have to have the latest and greatest, then you'll be spending $$ every 6months to keep up. You could just hang out and enjoy the phone for what it is, maximize it's performance with a good stable ROM and go for plenty of number 3's. :D

eep2378

Aug 12, 2010
MA
Remember you're posting this question in the i777 forums, so naturally most will advise to keep the GS2. If you asked the same question in the GNexus forums the advise would surely go the other way.

IMHO, we're too close to source drop for our device to leave it now. What are you really gaining with the Gnexus other that pure ICS and more frequent updates from google. Thats what great about XDA, once source drops and people get to work on it, we don't have to sacrifice much, if anything.

You said you feel comfortable rooting, etc. So wait a few more weeks and get ready to flash some sweet $hit!! :)

Reactions: TEXASMADE1978
D

D3M3NT3D_L0RD

Remember you're posting this question in the i777 forums, so naturally most will advise to keep the GS2. If you asked the same question in the GNexus forums the advise would surely go the other way.

IMHO, we're too close to source drop for our device to leave it now. What are you really gaining with the Gnexus other that pure ICS and more frequent updates from google. Thats what great about XDA, once source drops and people get to work on it, we don't have to sacrifice much, if anything.

You said you feel comfortable rooting, etc. So wait a few more weeks and get ready to flash some sweet $hit!! :)

Completely agree :D

08BlackWRX

Mar 16, 2012
Rocky Hill, CT

I think this is what im gonna do...just gonna keep my SGS2 and be patient for good ICS ROM to be released or just be patient with AT&T....more than likely root it cause who knows with AT&T....lol

SupremeOverlord777

Nov 23, 2011
Yeah, i agree with the others. Wait it out, ICS will be here in no time. Plus, other than the ICS, I think that the GNex is a worse phone. The Pentile screen messes with my eyes, and the processor is worse too.

O

Optimus-Prime

Exynos man. Exynos... Mmmm yes exynos. Why would you want to leave a exynos chipset for a TI OMAP? Even though the sgsii is not a "google experience" phone, itself is its only little experience why do you think apple is after its ass. Lol.

Sent from Optimus-Prime's SGSII

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks,

Justin

I think this is what im gonna do...just gonna keep my SGS2 and be patient for good ICS ROM to be released or just be patient with AT&T....more than likely root it cause who knows with AT&T....lol

Root the sucker and put aosp ics, I tried out cm9 and it was buttery smooth

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA App