[Q] Nook Color - Google Apps Pack won't install

Search This thread

Littlefatman

Mar 5, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
Hello,

I have just installed CyanogenMod 7 for the Barnes & Noble Nook Color :: V7.0.3 using ClockworkMod Recovery.

After installing CyanogenMod 7, I install the Google Apps addon version: gapps-gb-20110307. The installation goes smoothly, and I receive the "Installation Complete!" message before I remove the MicroSD card and reboot.

Upon reboot from ClockworkMod Recovery, I receive an "Installation Failed" screen that tells me to power on and off the device. I do so, and successfully boot into CyanogenMod7.

I immediately proceed to the Homescreen, where the only items are "Messaging" "Contacts" "Clock" "Email" "Camera" and "Gallery". I have no prompt to set up my Google Account or Timezone. Also, I do not have Market, but I can connect to my WiFi network.

Thank you for your help, it is appreciated. I am obviously a noob, and my apologies for stepping on any toes!

Littlefatman

Mar 5, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
Wow! Looking at some of the questions neighboring mine and their lack of responses, I tend to doubt that mine is going to get answered, even over the long run. I thought this forum had active users, at least that is what the Registration Video said...6 million active users was it???

biohazrd51

Apr 26, 2011
First of all, deep breath. It may not get answered right away, but typically the questions get answered.

First off, any particular reason you are running 7.0.3? If I recall, this includes the old kernel that has terrible battery life. I would recommend going to 7.1 found here.

I don't know which gapps goes with 7.0.3, but I would double check to make sure it was the right one. I'd still recommend upgrading to 7.1 stable.

Reactions: Littlefatman

DizzyDen

Feb 7, 2011
Also, I personally recommend doing ROM and GAPPS in two steps... I have eliminated some of the problems I have seen myself by using that method.

1. Install ROM... boot it up... let it settle in.
2. Reboot into CWM and install GAPPS... boot it up... do your thing

Also remember... 4 hours isn't a real long time to wait before posting a second post like you did... especially on a Sunday evening... This is a forum... not an immediate feedback application.

Littlefatman

Mar 5, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
My apologies for my impatience. I did not mean to sound so callous, but after rereading my comment, I realize how abrupt it was.

Also, I remember the site introduction mentioning clicking on the thanks meter as a piece of site etiquette. How do I do that?

Littlefatman

Mar 5, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
After following your advice, I am still having the same problem: not able to use the Android Marketplace as the item is not on my Homescreen, and the Google Apps are not installing.

I took biohazrd's advice, and I upgraded to 7.1 stable.

I also took DizzyDen's advice and installed CyanogenMod 7.1, reboot, let it settle, powered off, booted into Clockwork and installed the google apps pack (gapps-gb-20110828-signed), then rebooted again.

Still, I have no Android Marketplace.

As I stated in my previous post, I am a newbie, and I don't know what I am talking about, but off the top of my head, I have a feeling as if the google apps pack that I used (gapps-gb-20110828-signed) is not the right one. Could this hold any water?

Also, I don't know if it makes any difference, but I bought my Nook in December 2011 and it is a refurbished model. Because I purchased it in 2011, I updated the partitioning scheme using (repartition1GBdata-v1) and (reformatData-v1).

Thanks again, I appreciate the help!

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
After following your advice, I am still having the same problem: not able to use the Android Marketplace as the item is not on my Homescreen, and the Google Apps are not installing.

I also took DizzyDen's advice and installed CyanogenMod 7.1, reboot, let it settle, powered off, booted into Clockwork and installed the google apps pack (gapps-gb-20110828-signed), then rebooted again.

As I stated in my previous post, I am a newbie, and I don't know what I am talking about, but off the top of my head, I have a feeling as if the google apps pack that I used (gapps-gb-20110828-signed) is not the right one. Could this hold any water?

Also, I don't know if it makes any difference, but I bought my Nook in December 2011 and it is a refurbished model. Because I purchased it in 2011, I updated the partitioning scheme using (repartition1GBdata-v1) and (reformatData-v1).

If it isn't on the Homescreen, did you check by open App Drawer?

Littlefatman

Mar 5, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks for the reply Votinh.

I did not find the Marketplace in the App Drawer. My app drawer currently contains:

Browser, Calculator, Calendar, Camera, Clock, Contacts, Dev Tools, Downloads, DSPManager, Email, File Manager, Gallery, Messaging, Music, Phone, ROM Manager, Search, Settings, Sound Recorder, Spare Parts, Superuser, Terminal Emulator, Theme, Chooser, Videos and Voice Dialer.

I was having a look around and figured out how to look at the Internal storage and found something called Market Apps Installer version 1.1. I click on it, but it offers few options to fiddle with and seemingly no way to access the Android Marketplace.

Again, thanks for your help, I truly do appreciate it!

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
If it doesn't work as expect, I guess you have to list step by step what you have done up to that point, that may help us pin point where and what you did wrong.
Also, pls clearly indicate where you run the ROM from.

Littlefatman

Mar 5, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
Thanks again for your help, Votinh.

Also, pls clearly indicate where you run the ROM from.

I am not sure what you mean. Where can I possibly run the ROM from (what are the possible answers)? I would assume that I could run it only from the SD card. Sorry for being a newbie!

I will list step by step all of my actions and detail them in the response. Maybe, I will go through the whole installation process again and mark down everything that transpires.

votinh

Jul 6, 2011
Thanks again for your help, Votinh.

I am not sure what you mean. Where can I possibly run the ROM from (what are the possible answers)? I would assume that I could run it only from the SD card. Sorry for being a newbie!

I will list step by step all of my actions and detail them in the response. Maybe, I will go through the whole installation process again and mark down everything that transpires.
In here, xda NC forum, you will frequently see the term "eMMC" and "uSD"
eMMC refers to the internal memory of the device, as currently where the B&N stock ROM resides while uSD is the external card where we can put the custom ROMs such CM7/9 in and run from there.
Depends on which method you choose to use, different procedures/instructions needed.

---------- Post added at 09:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 AM ----------

Also, what do you think of my theory? That I am downloading and installing the wrong gapps pack?

As for your theory, I and we assume that you have installed CORRECTLY and if it isn't working as expect, then we need to know step-by-step how you did.
Everything is possible from bad zip to bad card.

Littlefatman

Mar 5, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
My apologies for the delay in my reply. It has been a hectic week+end.

did you verify MD5 checksum and ensure you didn't have a bad download?

I am ashamed to say it, but I do not know how to verify a checksum to ensure the intergrity of a download. Although, I did download the gapps file twice, once each on different computers, copied it to the SD card and attempted to update. Is it possible that I could have gotten 2 bad downloads on 2 different PCs?

Littlefatman

Mar 5, 2012
Tokyo, Japan
I have gone back and redone every bit of my CyanogenMod and Google apps installation on my Nook Color. I have taken notes on it and below is my step by step description of what I have done and observed. My apologies for the book, but I wanted to be as thorough as I could. Thanks for your help and I would appreciate and advice that can help me resolve this unfortunate situation.

1. Downloaded ClockworkModRecovery (2gb_clockwork-0.7.tar.gz) from http://code.google.com/p/monster-rootpack/downloads/detail?name=2gb_clockwork-0.7.tar.gz&can=2&q=

2. Downloaded CyanogenMod 7.1 (update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed.zip) from here http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?type=stable&device=encore

3. Downloaded Google Apps (gapps-gb-20110828-signed) from here http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Latest_Version/Google_Apps

4. Downloaded Win32DiskImager (win32diskimager-binary) from here https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

5. Extracted Win32DiskImager files to a folder on desktop

6. Decompressed and Extracted ClockworkModRecovery to Desktop (this took longer than I expected, the extraction strangely taking 5 minutes)

7. Start up Win32 DiskImager and receive the following File Error message: An error occurred while accessing the device. This usually means something is currently accessing the device; please close all applications and try again. Error 1 Incorrect Function.

8. The File Error message displays itself 3 times. I click OK three times, and then the Win32 Application opens, and I continue with my process.

9. Use Win32 DiskImager to write ClockworkMod onto my MicroSD card. The MicroSD card is a 1 year old, 2GB Transcend MicroSD Card. I use an Kingmax MicroSD card adapter to plug the card into my Computer’s SD card slot.

10. Copy the CyanogenMod 7.1 file and the Gapps 20110828 file to the MicroSD card.

11. Eject the MicroSD card from the PC, insert it into my Nook, and power on.

12. Boot into ClockwordMod Recovery, I go to Mounts and Storage, click on Format System and confirm YES. Next, I format Data and Cache.

13. NOTE: Previously, I was receiving an "Error: can't format /data" error as my newer Nook Color had a different partitioning scheme. I used ‘reformatData-v1’ and ‘repartition1GBdata-v1’ to remedy this when I first attempted to install CyanogenMod. It seems to have gone off without a hitch.

14. I then go to ‘install zip from sdcard’ , the choose ‘choose zip from SD card’ and select the Cyanogenmod 7.1 zip. It opens and installs.

15. After the install completes, I remove the SD card and reboot the Nook.

16. Upon reeboot, I get a Cyanogen loading screen for a few seconds, followed by an error screen that says Install Failed with a large red and white exclamation mark over a Nook clip art.

17. The Nook powers off after a few seconds. I then power on again and sucesssfully boot into Cyanogenmod. I do not have the Marketplace app at this point.

18. I power off, replace the SD card, and boot into Clockworkmod.

19. I choose ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from SDcard’ and the gapps zip. I confirm YES and install the gapps zip.

20. I remove the SD card and reboot the system. I receive the exact same ‘Install Failed’ error screen with the red and white exclamation mark over a nook clip art.

21. After a few seconds the nook powers off after the error screen. I power on again and boot into CyanogenMod.

22. There is no Marketplace app on the homescreen or in the App Drawer, leaving me with the same initial problem

Thank you for everything!

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I don't think Market will show until you have registered with google. There is a setup wizard or one time provisioning process to go through. That may be the thing that is failing when you first boot. Not sure how to get you back on track.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

fgullama

May 25, 2008
Re: Google Apps Not Installing

Hi,

After you install CM 7.1, Google Apps, and reboot (hard power off and cold boot - the first boot will fail), look for the Google Talk app in your App Drawer and log in to it with your Google credentials. That should spawn the installation of the rest of the Google Apps, including the Android Marketplace.

Also, strangely enough, when installing my first app from the Market, I had to install it with the device physically in landscape mode, as the installation failed when the device was being held in portrait orientation. This seemed to clear up after the first app was installed.

I stumbled across this thread tonight, as I was searching for a solution to this exact problem while updating a friends Nook Color to CM 7.1. This did the trick for me.

Good luck!

Frank

caseystain

Mar 15, 2012
I, too, am having problems

I don't mean to thread-jack, but I am also having problems with gapps.

Following this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1000957

The version of CM7 I placed on my card is "cm_encore_full-253.zip". The steps all the way through putting that on the card, putting that in the Nook, booting, it all worked fine. I DID notice the line that said something along the lines of looking for the gapps installation, not finding it, and skipping that step.

I downloaded the Gapps ("gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip") onto my computer. I shut off my NC, took out the SD card, and went to put it into my computer. Lo and behold, my computer can't read the SD card. It tells me it needs to be formatted before it can be used.

Uh. How am I supposed to get anything on the sd card?! I can't even format it to start over - Windows fails to format it.

I tried plugging in my NC to my computer - I at least got the CM7SDCARD to open, but it doesn't appear to be everything (there's no "boot" folder there). I tried moving the zip file to just the main directory of what I saw, and booted into recovery mode, but nothing happened.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
U
I don't mean to thread-jack, but I am also having problems with gapps.

Following this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1000957

The version of CM7 I placed on my card is "cm_encore_full-253.zip". The steps all the way through putting that on the card, putting that in the Nook, booting, it all worked fine. I DID notice the line that said something along the lines of looking for the gapps installation, not finding it, and skipping that step.

I downloaded the Gapps ("gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip") onto my computer. I shut off my NC, took out the SD card, and went to put it into my computer. Lo and behold, my computer can't read the SD card. It tells me it needs to be formatted before it can be used.

Uh. How am I supposed to get anything on the sd card?! I can't even format it to start over - Windows fails to format it.

I tried plugging in my NC to my computer - I at least got the CM7SDCARD to open, but it doesn't appear to be everything (there's no "boot" folder there). I tried moving the zip file to just the main directory of what I saw, and booted into recovery mode, but nothing happened.

Any assistance would be appreciated!
Look at my post here. It tells you how to make the boot partition show up in your system. In your case download the rar rev 1 and follow the directions (per edit 2) on how to manually put the file on your system.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22858059

Edit: You sound like a newby, so in order to do this you need the program "root explorer" which you buy on the market. Very useful program for later use too.

If you don't feel like trying this, get a different card reader or computer to see if that helps reading the card.

Edit 2: Also look here for a more recent nightly that has a few bugs fixed. It was built in January and 253 was in November.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23198390

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Re: Google Apps Not Installing

Hi,

After you install CM 7.1, Google Apps, and reboot (hard power off and cold boot - the first boot will fail), look for the Google Talk app in your App Drawer and log in to it with your Google credentials. That should spawn the installation of the rest of the Google Apps, including the Android Marketplace.

Also, strangely enough, when installing my first app from the Market, I had to install it with the device physically in landscape mode, as the installation failed when the device was being held in portrait orientation. This seemed to clear up after the first app was installed.

I stumbled across this thread tonight, as I was searching for a solution to this exact problem while updating a friends Nook Color to CM 7.1. This did the trick for me.

Good luck!

Frank
    First of all, deep breath. It may not get answered right away, but typically the questions get answered.

First off, any particular reason you are running 7.0.3? If I recall, this includes the old kernel that has terrible battery life. I would recommend going to 7.1 found here.

I don't know which gapps goes with 7.0.3, but I would double check to make sure it was the right one. I'd still recommend upgrading to 7.1 stable.
    Also, I personally recommend doing ROM and GAPPS in two steps... I have eliminated some of the problems I have seen myself by using that method.

1. Install ROM... boot it up... let it settle in.
    2. Reboot into CWM and install GAPPS... boot it up... do your thing

Also remember... 4 hours isn't a real long time to wait before posting a second post like you did... especially on a Sunday evening... This is a forum... not an immediate feedback application.

If it isn't on the Homescreen, did you check by open App Drawer?
    Tried two different laptops, doesn't help reading the card. They both have the same exact messages, and errors. Also, using a different nightly won't help - I can't access the SD Card!

I'll take a look at your post, and see if I can decipher it. Though, I thought root explorer was through the Android Market, and, I can't get the android market on my nook yet - I can't install gapps..
    Good point about the market. Plan B, go to this post and download my new image file. It is bigger so you have room for both the nightly and gapps. It says for ICS, but works fine with CM7. Unzip and burn that new image to the SD using win32diskimager. (If you are using Vista/Windows 7, run as administrator when you burn). Put the nightly I had in my post there along with the gapps zip. Boot with that in your nook and all should be well. Then you can either install my mount script and copy the add-ons to the boot partition or try using the computer again.

Edit: in fact, put my update- mount zip in with the nightly and gapps when you flash the first time and it will install fine.

Edit 2: Now that I think about it, not burning your first image as administrator is probably why you could not read it. Many users have warned about having to do that and since I have XP, it's never been a problem for me.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=23153010