Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

graffixnyc

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
Guys,
There has been so many "Which is the best ROM?" and "Which is the best kernel?" threads lately.

This is a reminder.. these kind of threads are NOT allowed.

Why are they not allowed? Well because that the best rom and kernel for me might be the worst for someone else. It's subjective. It's like asking who the hottest girl in the world is. Or which sports car is the best. If you ask 100 people you will get 100 different answers.

The best advice is to try them all and figure out which one is best for YOU and YOUR needs. Not based on what's best for someone else.

I have just been closing these threads but I'm going to start to hand out official warnings if it continues.

AndreiLux

Jul 9, 2011
I understand the moral conundrum in saying that A is better than thing B, such things are not subjective but can be substantiated through facts. You can disallow saying that one or the other is better with idiotic posts "because lolz its awesome", but any other comparison is empiric and valid. The one and only thing this does not apply is aesthetics of themes.

Please stop the stupefying XDA as a community for the sake of political correctness with such half though-through policies, it's destroying this site as a real resource.

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
I understand the moral conundrum in saying that A is better than thing B, such things are not subjective but can be substantiated through facts. You can disallow saying that one or the other is better with idiotic posts "because lolz its awesome", but any other comparison is empiric and valid. The one and only thing this does not apply is aesthetics of themes.

Please stop the stupefying XDA as a community for the sake of political correctness with such half though-through policies, it's destroying this site as a real resource.

Do you understand how many reports we get on threads where someone is asking "what's the best rom?", "What's the best rom for battery life", "what's the best kernel?"

The rules state these types of threads are not allowed. I just enforcing the rule. If you do not agree with the rule then I suggest you take it up with the Admins that make the rules not the mods that are enforcing them. I know I close at least 5 of these types of threads a day and it's our community that also finds them undesirable and this is why when there is a thread like this created tons of users report them.

These ARE subjective because what is the best for one person sucks for another. It depends on the person's needs and preferences. For some people AOSP based roms are best, for others not so much. The only way someone can find what the best rom for them is to try them all.

And I must disagree. Cluttering our community with pointless threads is doing more damage to the community than enforcing the rules..

As I have said, if you have a problem with the rules then take it up with the higher powers not the person enforcing them

Theshawty

Feb 13, 2011

Uhm, has anyone so far ever posted a comment/thread where one's saying that rom A is better than rom B and then provided facts? Then again, who'd bother reading them? The average XDA user probably doesn't even care about a wall-post of differences between roms.

JJEgan

Oct 24, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
I don't see the problem as asking is A better than B .
The problem is ten posts a day every day of the week asking the exact same question does this forum no good at all .

In that respect why not a specific whats the best rom only thread for all such posts .
But to be honest i don't believe that will stop the multiple whats the best posts .

jje

jerdog

Admin Emeritus - Purveyor of word nuggets
Comparing ROMs is relatively useless because I dare say there isn't one person in this entire XDA community that has their device setup EXACTLY like yours (ROM, KERNEL, Apps, etc.). So because of that the comparisons become subjective and usually someone tries to grow their epeen and then it becomes null and void.

An acceptable alternative would be a "ROM Comparison Thread" - but that will just become convoluted.

Theshawty

Feb 13, 2011
Comparing ROMs is relatively useless because I dare say there isn't one person in this entire XDA community that has their device setup EXACTLY like yours (ROM, KERNEL, Apps, etc.). So because of that the comparisons become subjective and usually someone tries to grow their epeen and then it becomes null and void.

An acceptable alternative would be a "ROM Comparison Thread" - but that will just become convoluted.

Even if two people had their phones set up completely alike, they would still perform differently. The quality of the chip silicon can vary a whole lot. Most noticeable in what a user can stably overclock to.

AndreiLux

Jul 9, 2011
The problem is ten posts a day every day of the week asking the exact same question does this forum no good at all .

In that respect why not a specific whats the best rom only thread for all such posts .
But to be honest i don't believe that will stop the multiple whats the best posts .

jje
Solution:
This. Do this single thing in a substantive and quality manner and sticky it, let it be editorialized, and you have your problem gone.

Ever since this forum opened every single comparison thread has been bombarded with posts complaining the thread goes against the rules, rather than there being any kind of problem with the thread content itself, that's why it devolves into a cluster-**** and the moderators get that many reports. 8 out of 10 posts are about people bashing on the OP for being an idiot because he's "going against the rule". The rule itself is causing more problems than the people asking these questions in the first place.

Because you're doing a subjective comparison again. A objective comparison is saying:

ROM A has these and these features, those features bring advantage X and Y.
Kernel 1 has feature Z and therefore is more battery efficient than kernels who don't have Z.

I don't understand why this is so hard to do. Educate the masses.

Last edited:

kofiaa

Aug 27, 2011
Accra
i like Best rom Posts,it make my stomach vibrate and make me try many Roms to be convinced.

Your stomach vibrating is a sign of gas held in for too long, or hunger.

If you want to change roms, the best thing to do is read the different rom threads and try the ones that interest you. Don't start a whole new thread.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

graffixnyc

Jan 21, 2011
New York City
www.graffixnyc.com
I guess we can try that. having a dedicated thread for it. We will see how that goes. If we are making one for ROMS we should also make one for Kernels because there are a lot of "what is the best kernel" threads as well.. If it lessens the amount of threads we get on the matter significantly then good.

If one of you guys wants to create the OP (Looks at JJEgan) that would be great and then I'll sticky them. If not I can create them but I wont have the time until tomorrow night

Last edited:

slaphead20

Feb 13, 2011
Out there somewhere
I like the idea of a sticky, however I have always had a reservation about these things as they encourage "fanboyism" for want of a better phrase, this could in turn lead to the same old exchange of idiotic tit for tat.

Furthermore, and more importantly, the whole thing could be deemed as incredibly disheartening for up and coming, but less experienced, developers.

So yes, I agree that Andrielux has a good point about objective analysis of what a Rom provides, but I remain sceptical as to whether it would work out there, in the cesspool that was, at one time, an invigorating and intellectually stimulating environment.

XDA really has become a victim of its own success in that respect sadly.

I'm just grateful to ALL developers for their great work and to XDA for sharing it with us......and to all the staff who battle on trying to keep this place orderly and decent.

jinosong

Jan 22, 2011
Seoul
Is that question for real? Is this what one gets for trying to improve the quality of the community? ... I'm sorry then and I'll leave, if nobody really cares.

You're absolutely correct. This forum stands to educate the masses. The more people are educated, more good will come about. Having said that, everyone is on different levels of knowledge. We have to be able to educate the new users in an efficient and effective way. Having a thread that debates the merits and faults of different ROMs is an excellent way to educate people, Heck, I don't have time to test 100 different ROMs and I don't want to read thousands of pages of threads to find the BEST ROM.

Who Cares? I do. You know what's ironic? Check out FORUM RULE #10.

10. Help others if you can.
If you see posts from others where you can help out, please do. This place exists because people are helping each other, and even if you are relatively new to the matter, there's probably already quite a few people newer than you that would benefit from what you've learned. DON'T BE SHY.

Last edited:

JohnnyEpic

Apr 3, 2011
Kernel 1 has feature Z and therefore is more battery efficient than kernels who don't have Z.

So. Is ROM A the best one out there?

Sorry. I couldn't resist. You make very valid points.

Sent from the Mars Rover.

DeadSOL

May 8, 2011
I like the idea of a sticky, however I have always had a reservation about these things as they encourage "fanboyism" for want of a better phrase, this could in turn lead to the same old exchange of idiotic tit for tat.

Furthermore, and more importantly, the whole thing could be deemed as incredibly disheartening for up and coming, but less experienced, developers.

So yes, I agree that Andrielux has a good point about objective analysis of what a Rom provides, but I remain sceptical as to whether it would work out there, in the cesspool that was, at one time, an invigorating and intellectually stimulating environment.

XDA really has become a victim of its own success in that respect sadly.

I'm just grateful to ALL developers for their great work and to XDA for sharing it with us......and to all the staff who battle on trying to keep this place orderly and decent.

Admins and mods, I'm going to have to completely agree with Slappy here. You're going to encourage fanboy-ism and this will lead to a lot of hate and division in the community.

Do you know what's going on right now? We have threads for specific ROMs where no one bashes each other. People stay with their fellow custom ROM users. If you merge all these warring nations into one thread, I'm afraid you're going to have to deal with a lot more than closing a couple of threads each week. People are going to swear non-stop and abuse specific custom ROM developers (which will be harmful for the developers and the substantial amount of hard work they're putting into their work day and night).

I've created the General Thread for that very reason- if people have issues/questions/problems, then they can come and discuss it with all of the helpful lads in the General Thread instead of making an inordinate amount of extra threads that clutter this great community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Guys,
    There has been so many "Which is the best ROM?" and "Which is the best kernel?" threads lately.

This is a reminder.. these kind of threads are NOT allowed.

Why are they not allowed? Well because that the best rom and kernel for me might be the worst for someone else. It's subjective. It's like asking who the hottest girl in the world is. Or which sports car is the best. If you ask 100 people you will get 100 different answers.

The best advice is to try them all and figure out which one is best for YOU and YOUR needs. Not based on what's best for someone else.

I have just been closing these threads but I'm going to start to hand out official warnings if it continues.

jje
    Solution:
    This. Do this single thing in a substantive and quality manner and sticky it, let it be editorialized, and you have your problem gone.

Ever since this forum opened every single comparison thread has been bombarded with posts complaining the thread goes against the rules, rather than there being any kind of problem with the thread content itself, that's why it devolves into a cluster-**** and the moderators get that many reports. 8 out of 10 posts are about people bashing on the OP for being an idiot because he's "going against the rule". The rule itself is causing more problems than the people asking these questions in the first place.

Because you're doing a subjective comparison again. A objective comparison is saying:

I don't understand why this is so hard to do. Educate the masses.
    AndreiLux, honestly, who the hell cares?
    Is that question for real? Is this what one gets for trying to improve the quality of the community? ... I'm sorry then and I'll leave, if nobody really cares.
    Allow me to place a comment as a junior...

First I would like to say that I agree with graffixnyc on the objectivity of the comparisons. People want to know what is the best ROM for their phones. Why is this not allowed? If I would ask you which car is the best a ferrari or a cinquecento, would you reply that none is the best? But we all would prefer to have a ferrari than a cinquecento, or not?

So, why I should try first 20 ROMS before I get my phone working as I want, or working at all? Why the devices are treated as something holy just like the developers? Why I' m not allowed to say something bad about my phone or the ROM I run? Why cannot I complain? Should I be happy that a I don't have a working phone since 2 years? Well, I'm not happy to instal a ROM and after some days I discover that the WiFi is not working, the launcher is crashing and so on...Why is just take it or leave it? Is this the meaning of the community? Are the developers developing for themselves and not for the community and we the users are like "guinea pigs"? Take the example of the galnetmiui. The developer did in my opinion an excellent job. Why I'm I allowed to comment positively for his work and I cannot comment negatively or complain for a bad work of another developer?

The comparisons are the driving force in this world. If everything was the same then we would have no Samsung, no iphones, no Nokias...But we prefer to buy Samsung and not Apple for some reasons and we have to compare first. Without comparison there is no competition and there is no improvement. It's logical that since the developers are putting effort and time and are doing it for free we cannot expect that much but they have to be open to the opinions of the people, to the community, otherwise it is just no community. And of course I' m not saying to insult each other but If you don't react there is no change, no improvement.

And again, If someone is offended with my post and want to insult me, as it is very common here, particularly for the fanboys, don't even bother. And even If the admins think my post is offending they can delete my post and throw me out of the forum. No problem, that's only my opinion.

See that is the problem. You think you are owed something, that you are entitled to something. You are not. This site wasnt created for developers to work for free and spoon feed users. It was created for developers to collaborate with other developers and LEARN how to do modifications to their device instead of just being "customers" if you will.

Developers (myself included) spend HOURS and HOURS working on roms and things all for FREE. I have NEVER once ask for a single donation or ANY money. As a matter of fact for one of my roms I told people who wanted to donate to donate to a worthy charity instead of donating to me

Like I said in your rant thread, if you do not like what the community has to offer then leave! or learn and figure out how to fix the things that "don't work". Stop expecting all the work to be done for you and be spoon fed.

99% of issues are user error and the fact that you claim to have a phone not work for 2 years tells me it's most likely user error in your case.

Before I knew anything there were things I wanted to do to my phone that were not "offered" by the community. Like themes. I would like something from one theme and something from another. Instead of complaining that this community does not have anything I like I learned how to do it myself.

I'm sorry to say but we do not need people like you in this community. People who feel they are entitled to something. This forum was NOT created for users like you although that's a huge chunk of the XDA population now.

You said in your thread you were running Cyanogen mod and it never worked right... Well you know the code is available for everyone to make and submit fixes for right? But instead of learning anything and contributing to the community all you want to do is take take take and then complain when it's not up to your standards.

Hire me, then you can complain to me all you want..But until then you have no right to whatsoever. You do not pay the salary of these dev's and you're not their boss so stop acting like it.