New to the Moto X.....

Search This thread

justaway2

Jun 29, 2011
Toronto
Since using the Moto X and G I've stopped rooting, this is coming from a flashaholic (see sig).

The only thing I'm missing is app ops, I hate Google for taking that away.

sent via tapatalk
How do you live without Gravitybox? The stock ROM has great performance and battery life, but the UI customization is nonexistent. Why subject yourself to a terrible UI?

devilsdouble

Nov 26, 2013
New Delhi
Got mine, loving it, as I said on another topic. First time in my life I am liking Android to be honest (I liked it a bit with S2 and Siyah but that was way back in '11-12). I bet you don't say it's a Moto X and compare it with S5 or M8 or Z2, and even a nerd will say it's running on SD 801 or whatever ridiculously high spec those phones have.

Anyway, I though don't understand this dialer! When I am tapping on it it's supposed to show me the number pad right? But it doesn't, it shows me the favourite contact list! Then I need to tap on that small 8 box type thing to get the dial pad, that's really time wastng and annoying! Could anything be done?

killerb777

Aug 27, 2009
Got mine, loving it, as I said on another topic. First time in my life I am liking Android to be honest (I liked it a bit with S2 and Siyah but that was way back in '11-12). I bet you don't say it's a Moto X and compare it with S5 or M8 or Z2, and even a nerd will say it's running on SD 801 or whatever ridiculously high spec those phones have.

Anyway, I though don't understand this dialer! When I am tapping on it it's supposed to show me the number pad right? But it doesn't, it shows me the favourite contact list! Then I need to tap on that small 8 box type thing to get the dial pad, that's really time wastng and annoying! Could anything be done?

xposed and gravity box has the dialer mod.

Reactions: devilsdouble

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
How do you live without Gravitybox? The stock ROM has great performance and battery life, but the UI customization is nonexistent. Why subject yourself to a terrible UI?

I think too complicated UI is terrible too. I find that with flashing, I always have to spend too much time customizing. I am really happy with ART and Google Now Launcher.

The apps I currently use are:
Notification Toggle - It allow all the quick toggles I need.
Greenify - It can't do automatic hibernation without root, but with the widget, I can tap it once to auto force close all running apps.
Helium - Root not required to back up.

App Ops is really the only thing I feel missing since it's important for security.

Root also can give issues when upgrading. Some phones you can update with root, but Nexus devices OTAs are extremely picky, if you change anything (anything) in /system partition the OTA can fail.

devilsdouble

Nov 26, 2013
New Delhi
Thanks. Will try that.

I am noticing a crazy and weird issue though! I am on my home's WiFi and I turn off data when I am home, but something is keeping the data enabled somehow! I have turned it off, even made the network mode to 2G! Ultimately I had to delete the APN! What could be going on here?

This pop up came at least a dozen times, every time consuming some data, and deducting a tiny amount from my current balance! I don't care about the deduction but in this rate it will suck up all my balance in no time it seems!!!

See the attached screenshot.

jco23

Nov 17, 2011
Thanks. Will try that.

I am noticing a crazy and weird issue though! I am on my home's WiFi and I turn off data when I am home, but something is keeping the data enabled somehow! I have turned it off, even made the network mode to 2G! Ultimately I had to delete the APN! What could be going on here?

This pop up came at least a dozen times, every time consuming some data, and deducting a tiny amount from my current balance! I don't care about the deduction but in this rate it will suck up all my balance in no time it seems!!!

See the attached screenshot.
I just leave mobile data and WiFi on all the time. your mobile data goes dormant (for the most part ) when connected via WiFi. if you disable mobile data, then you cannot receive any picture messages (I believe).
in fact, I leave everything on all the time except GPS (battery saving mode), and get 3 hours on screen time easily.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

devilsdouble

Nov 26, 2013
New Delhi
I just leave mobile data and WiFi on all the time. your mobile data goes dormant (for the most part ) when connected via WiFi. if you disable mobile data, then you cannot receive any picture messages (I believe).
in fact, I leave everything on all the time except GPS (battery saving mode), and get 3 hours on screen time easily.

Lol, it seems like your usage pattern is exactly opposite than mine. I don't use MMS, at all :laugh: However I receive some, that time I turn on data manually. I only use data when I am outside my home or office, as they both have WiFi. But I keep GPS on all time.

Don't know, I think it might have something to do with the Location reporting, have turned it off and since then haven't seen any data usage! Let's see though.

jco23

Nov 17, 2011
Lol, it seems like your usage pattern is exactly opposite than mine. I don't use MMS, at all :laugh: However I receive some, that time I turn on data manually. I only use data when I am outside my home or office, as they both have WiFi. But I keep GPS on all time.

Don't know, I think it might have something to do with the Location reporting, have turned it off and since then haven't seen any data usage! Let's see though.
you can restrict certain apps from Mobile data under Mobile data settings (or android firewall if rooted).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Xposed and gravitybox.. thats all you need :)
    ....they said the you won't be able to delete single entry from the call log? Is it still same with 4.4.3? Also, as I have never used AOSP before, how does the call log work? I mean with Samsung, one thing is very good (for me at least) that when I tap on an entry it shows the details of it rather than calling, but with hTC M7 I saw that by tapping an entry once it directly calls that number, which is really frustrating for me. How is it with the X? Call history with one tap or direct call?
    The 4.4.3 update isn't pushing to the Verizon X yet, but on 4.4.2, I can delete entries one at a time, from history, by going into each, and hitting the 3dot menu button and select Remove From Call Log.

If I tap on an entry on the history, it gives me a pop up with the number, name (if person is in my contacts), the time of the call and if it was in/outbound or missed. I can then call back.
    Thanks mate. So how can you see the history? I mean how many times you have called a particular number, or received calls from the same number etc?

It seems to group them within a few days... So like if my wife called me yesterday and today, they are grouped together, but if she called me on Monday too, it will show Monday as separate.