Search This thread

pelle.jansen

Jun 19, 2011
Hi all,
I just installed a fresh copy of win7 ultimate on my HTC shift and installed all drivers because the old install was getting sluggish. Everything works except for two things: interpolated high resolution gives a blue screen crash when aero is active (no transparency) and the windows basic theme is UGLY. And the second problem: after I install like 85 windows updates shag control center crashes and have to restore a system recovery point. Do you know what update causes this so i can hide it and install the rest?

Many thanks,

Pelle :)

PlayStation

Jul 22, 2008
Hi all,
I just installed a fresh copy of win7 ultimate on my HTC shift and installed all drivers because the old install was getting sluggish. Everything works except for two things: interpolated high resolution gives a blue screen crash when aero is active (no transparency) and the windows basic theme is UGLY. And the second problem: after I install like 85 windows updates shag control center crashes and have to restore a system recovery point. Do you know what update causes this so i can hide it and install the rest?

Many thanks,

Which drivers did you use? I hope you are not using the Windows Vista drivers. Download the Shift Windows 7 drivers from this link http://azsharing.com/yvex8pwmz01j/SHIFT.zip.html. Install the Windows 7 drivers discussed in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=590009. The sequence of installing them is precise including those that you need to install in Vista Compatibility mode and with Admin Privilleges. As the OP stated some of the drivers will be installed through Windows update but check which ones. Follow the recomendations in that thread and all will work like a charm...;)

I believe your Shag Control problems and all display problems are related to the drivers and not Windows update. Mine is on automatic updates and I have not excluded any updates at all save for the Language Pack that I do not need....

Re-install the drivers and lets see what happens after that. By the way DO NOT ENABLE AERO BEFORE INSTALLING THE GRAPHICS DRIVERS otherwise you get BSOD....... That advice is shown as Important in the thread mentioned above. Enable aero theme as the last thing you do with all drivers installed to avoid any problems.

I hope you get sorted and enjoy your Shift with Windows 7......

Edit>>>> There is a way to disable Aero when facing your current BSOd situation through Screen Resolution Settings but I dont remember the precise steps. I can retrace the steps on my Shift once I get to it after work and see whether that will help you. But let me know whether re-installing the drivers will have sorted you out>>>>> ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: pelle.jansen

pelle.jansen

Jun 19, 2011
Hello,
I used the driver sequence at gadgetmix (sorry, i can't post links yet) because it worked fine a year ago and the drivers from the HTC website in vista compatibility mode and run as administrator.
With reinstalling do you mean that I have to uninstall the old driver and install the new one or can i just install the new driver over the older one?

Thanks

EDIT: had aero off the entire installation

Last edited:

PlayStation

Jul 22, 2008
Hello,
I used the driver sequence at gadgetmix (sorry, i can't post links yet) because it worked fine a year ago and the drivers from the HTC website in vista compatibility mode and run as administrator.
With reinstalling do you mean that I have to uninstall the old driver and install the new one or can i just install the new driver over the older one?

Thanks

EDIT: had aero off the entire installation

Best is to uninstall and then install afresh using Windows 7 drivers..... Perhaps even check box to delete the old driver as well. If Aero was off during installation you dont have many problems. Aero on during 7 upgrade especially before graphics driver update causes Bsod or boot loop.

You should be ok when you install the windows 7 drivers. But the sequence of driver installations is important.... All the best :)

pelle.jansen

Jun 19, 2011
Have been fiddeling with the drivers for a while now and given up. just started Windows 7 setup again. After that i will use the windows 7! drivers and hope for the best.

EDIT: windows just installed. Turning off Aero and starting drivers... Fingers crossed :p

Last edited:

pelle.jansen

Jun 19, 2011
Drivers just finised and now the sond doesn't work :(:(:(

Tried rolling back/ updating driver, reinstalling driver muting unmuting in windows and shift control center but no luck...
And when I press the resolution changer I have to reboot to switch resolution.
shift control center has to be selected from start menu to start

This is a lot worse than when i did it using the tutorial at gadgetmix :(

Any idea how to fix this?

Last edited:

PlayStation

Jul 22, 2008

Tried rolling back/ updating driver, reinstalling driver muting unmuting in windows and shift control center but no luck...

Sorry to hear about the problems you are facing. I am surprised coz I did the Windows 7 installation just a few weeks ago after reviving my dead Shift and everything is working perfectly for me. The only thing I havent fully sorted out is Finger print thing but I know I only need an hour or 2 with it and all will be well.

Incidentally did you do a clean install of 7 or you upgraded Vista?

Since you have just done a fresh install and you dont stand to lose much I would advise that you re-install Vista (F3) which will install all the drivers then Upgrade Windows 7 from the freshly re-installed Vista. You can then install drivers for any device that will show not to be installed after 7 upgrade.... Of course following the sequence and allowing Windows Update to take care of the rest. :rolleyes:

Reactions: pelle.jansen

pelle.jansen

Jun 19, 2011
Sorry to hear about the problems you are facing. I am surprised coz I did the Windows 7 installation just a few weeks ago after reviving my dead Shift and everything is working perfectly for me. The only thing I havent fully sorted out is Finger print thing but I know I only need an hour or 2 with it and all will be well.

Since you have just done a fresh install and you dont stand to lose much I would advise that you re-install Vista (F3) which will install all the drivers then Upgrade Windows 7 from the freshly re-installed Vista. You can then install drivers for any device that will show not to be installed after 7 upgrade.... Of course following the sequence and allowing Windows Update to take care of the rest. :rolleyes:

The problem is that i once had to replace my HDD because some idiot dropped my shift and for some reason the accelerometer didn't kick in and trashed my hard drive. So pressing F3 won't do anything. Are there any other solutions?

pelle.jansen

Jun 19, 2011
DID IT! It was in my windows 7 install disk. Downloaded and burnt one (it should be legal because I have paid for it) installed, installed drivers an BOOM! everything works! aero, HiRes in aero sound, its nice and responsive battery life on power saver 2H and 45 minutes, havn't tested modem yet as my sim card is in my smartphone but will do that. Thanks a lot for all of your help! I will be hanin round here to help others. I AM SO HAPPY EVERYTHING IS FINE WITH MY LOVELY SHIFT! Updates Sucseeded and everything works perfect!

Only one more question: is it safe to install sp1? Or will that give problems with some of the drivers.

Last edited:

PlayStation

Jul 22, 2008
DID IT! It was in my windows 7 install disk. Downloaded and burnt one (it should be legal because I have paid for it) installed, installed drivers an BOOM! everything works! aero, HiRes in aero sound, its nice and responsive battery life on power saver 2H and 45 minutes, havn't tested modem yet as my sim card is in my smartphone but will do that. Thanks a lot for all of your help! I will be hanin round here to help others. I AM SO HAPPY EVERYTHING IS FINE WITH MY LOVELY SHIFT! Updates Sucseeded and everything works perfect!

Only one more question: is it safe to install sp1? Or will that give problems with some of the drivers.

Glad you finally managed to get your Shift up to speed. I always felt that your peculiar issue boiled down to bad install which is confirmed by the first software you used. What type of disk did you use for the Hdd replacement - Hdd or SSd and for what capacity. Been thinking of upgrading but Ssd costs are still up there in teh skies and might not justify upgrading for the ageing Shift.... :eek:

You can update to Service Pack 1 no problem. I have it and no issues at all. :p

pelle.jansen

Jun 19, 2011
Glad you finally managed to get your Shift up to speed. I always felt that your peculiar issue boiled down to bad install which is confirmed by the first software you used. What type of disk did you use for the Hdd replacement - Hdd or SSd and for what capacity. Been thinking of upgrading but Ssd costs are still up there in teh skies and might not justify upgrading for the ageing Shift.... :eek:

You can update to Service Pack 1 no problem. I have it and no issues at all. :p
I Bought the exact same drive on ebay for $30 or so. I solved the hard drive light staying on by just running CHKDSK but now the same programs just crash...:(
It now happens when trying to do a system score, when changing my network to public and when uninstalling a program using control panel. The rest all works fine.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,

Many thanks,

Which drivers did you use? I hope you are not using the Windows Vista drivers. Download the Shift Windows 7 drivers from this link http://azsharing.com/yvex8pwmz01j/SHIFT.zip.html. Install the Windows 7 drivers discussed in this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=590009. The sequence of installing them is precise including those that you need to install in Vista Compatibility mode and with Admin Privilleges. As the OP stated some of the drivers will be installed through Windows update but check which ones. Follow the recomendations in that thread and all will work like a charm...;)

I believe your Shag Control problems and all display problems are related to the drivers and not Windows update. Mine is on automatic updates and I have not excluded any updates at all save for the Language Pack that I do not need....

Re-install the drivers and lets see what happens after that. By the way DO NOT ENABLE AERO BEFORE INSTALLING THE GRAPHICS DRIVERS otherwise you get BSOD....... That advice is shown as Important in the thread mentioned above. Enable aero theme as the last thing you do with all drivers installed to avoid any problems.

I hope you get sorted and enjoy your Shift with Windows 7......

Edit>>>> There is a way to disable Aero when facing your current BSOd situation through Screen Resolution Settings but I dont remember the precise steps. I can retrace the steps on my Shift once I get to it after work and see whether that will help you. But let me know whether re-installing the drivers will have sorted you out>>>>> ;)