Anybody have bluetooth audio issues after 4.4.3 update?

Search This thread

xanadu1979

Aug 9, 2007
New Orleans, LA
After the 4.4.3 update, when I play audio through a bluetooth speaker, it stutters every so often. It happens with both Google Play Music and Pocketcasts. When playing a video podcast through Pocketcasts, the audio will skip and get out of sync with the video. I've tried multiple bluetooth speakers and it happens on all of them. I haven't tried a factory reset or anything yet.

I saw a comment from another person with a similar issue on a blog post about the 4.4.3 update, but I haven't seen anything on xda yet. Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? I've also got a Nexus 5 and it seems to be fine after the 4.4.3 update.

DaWeav

Sep 8, 2009
This has always been the case for me ever since owning this Nexus 7. But for me, this only happens when I'm connected to 802.11a 5Ghz wireless. When I'm connected to 802.11n 2.4Ghz, my Bluetooth seems fine. And the strange thing is that my stereo Bluetooth headset seems to me that it sounds better with more base and treble when connected to 802.11n vice 802.11a. It may be a placebo effect on my ageing ears, but none the less who wants the video mouth lag and stuff. So, I keep my Nexus on 2.4Ghz only in the WiFi advanced mode all the time now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: jmdearras

xanadu1979

Aug 9, 2007
New Orleans, LA
This has always been the case for me ever since owning this Nexus 7. But for me, this only happens when I'm connected to 802.11a 5Ghz wireless. When I'm connected to 802.11n 2.4Ghz, my Bluetooth seems fine. And the strange thing is that my stereo Bluetooth headset seems to me that it sounds better with more base and treble when connected to 802.11n vice 802.11a. It may be a placebo effect on my ageing ears, but none the less who wants the video mouth lag and stuff. So, I keep my Nexus on 2.4Ghz only in the WiFi advanced mode all the time now.

That's interesting. I just renamed my 5ghz SSID to be the same as my 2.4ghz. So maybe it wasn't the 4.4.3 update. I'm going to try forcing it to 2.4ghz. Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

xanadu1979

Aug 9, 2007
New Orleans, LA
That's interesting. I just renamed my 5ghz SSID to be the same as my 2.4ghz. So maybe it wasn't the 4.4.3 update. I'm going to try forcing it to 2.4ghz. Thanks!

So after using it for a few hours on 2.4ghz, I can almost definitely say that the 5ghz was the problem. I don't have any audio stutters or video sync problems now.

Reactions: hawk_25

DaWeav

Sep 8, 2009
Not sure if it may be a Nexus hardware problem from Asus or wireless router though. I'm using a DLink DIR850/AC1200 wireless router. So if your wireless router is different, than its probably a Nexus problem.

hawk_25

Jun 10, 2014
I was having problems as well as soon as I did the OTA update this morning. I've been connecting to a Bose Soundlink Mini for months without any issues before the 4.4.3 update. After the update, sound would stutter every 15 seconds or so, and sometimes stop playing entirely. Switching to 2.4 ghz seems to have fixed the problem. I have the Netgear R7000 router, so it's unlikely it's due to both our routers.

When I was connected to 5ghz, the problem was much worse when I opened a Wifi Analyzer app or browsed the internet. Thanks for the switching to 2.4ghz tip, you saved me a few frustrating hours. Already contacted Google and told them the issues, but it was before I tried connecting to 2.4ghz

dusiema

Jun 11, 2014
Same problem here. Nexus 5 connected to a Logitech Mobile UE Boombox. Was always working fine (with 4.4.2). Now with the update to 4.4.3 google music app stutters all the time. Really annoying. (AVM Fritzbox 7390 - but I don't want to go to 2.4 GHz). Haven't tried other music apps though...

embhorn

Apr 28, 2012
Searched for "bluetooth audio skipping" and found this thread. This starting affecting me right after the 4.4.3 update, also.

I'll try forcing 2.4GHz and hopefully that fixes the issue.

iphonedaddy

Oct 13, 2009
Hi,

I just got a nexus 7 (2013) recently. I get the audio stutter when listening to Pandora using a pair of Samsung bliuetooth headphones on the nexus 7. Switching to my iPhone 6 plus, same headphones, no stutter.

The nexus 7 is running Android Lollipop 5.1.1.

It gets even worse! In addition to the stutter, the music also speeds up and slows down constantly. It's like listening to a record player with a bad motor that can't spin the same speed consistently. I'm really surprised, as this tablet appears to be awesome in every other way. The headphones I am using are Samsung Bluetooth noise canceling headphones.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So after using it for a few hours on 2.4ghz, I can almost definitely say that the 5ghz was the problem. I don't have any audio stutters or video sync problems now.