Nook Simple Touch -> Nook Multi Touch [Screensaver Locking Issue Explanation Added]

Search This thread

tehriddler

Mar 11, 2012
riddler.tumblr.com
Been waiting for the day something like this would be released!

What's a good PDF reader to use in conjunction with this? The other PDF apps take too long to render pages as each page is divided into 3*6 blocks, or have page turn/scroll animations. Can multitouch be enabled in Orion?

wheilitjohnny

Mar 13, 2011
I finally see the problem!

Sometimes u may see the nook with no respond.
To solve it, try to drag with two fingers, then this usually solves the problem.

It mainly because there may exist "ghosting" touching if the previous touch didn't provide "finger leave" event.
Drag with two fingers would clear all the cached information. Try with this next time~

Zmol

Apr 9, 2012
Is there any chance of these kinds of tweaks making it to the Sony PRS-T1 reader? They seem to be more or less identical, but you guys only work on the Nook or?

I'm European, so there is no easy way for me to get my hands on a nook :S so that's why I'm asking.

Cheers!

mali100

Jun 3, 2007
Is there any chance of these kinds of tweaks making it to the Sony PRS-T1 reader? They seem to be more or less identical, but you guys only work on the Nook or?
No, they aren't identical, the only things they have in common is the fact that they are e-book readers and that they are android based.

I'm European, so there is no easy way for me to get my hands on a nook :S so that's why I'm asking.
A lot of the people and devs using the nook are from europe (including me), the easiest way to get one, is by purchasing a refurbished one from ebay
http://www.ebay.at/itm/NEW-NOOK-SIM...90662291860?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item2c645bb194
or
http://www.ebay.at/itm/Refurbished-...=US_Tablets&hash=item337434d2c9#ht_2798wt_907

Reactions: a7t7d

Carrick1973

Oct 24, 2008
Rochester NY
Thanks for the multi-touch support, but I found that my battery drains in about a day or two instead of the weeks that I would get before. Anyone else experiencing battery drain on the new kernel?

If I wanted to go back to the non-multi touch kernel, which one would I use on rooted 1.1.0?

wheilitjohnny

Mar 13, 2011
Thanks for the multi-touch support, but I found that my battery drains in about a day or two instead of the weeks that I would get before. Anyone else experiencing battery drain on the new kernel?

If I wanted to go back to the non-multi touch kernel, which one would I use on rooted 1.1.0?

Did you make a backup? If yes, just pull that in.
If not, you need to compile a kernel without any mod.

By the way, which kernel are you using now?~
The one only enabled multi-touch or those combined with other features?~

mdall

Dec 13, 2010
Paris
If he wants to return to stock kernel, I guess that he can use the one of B&N's update (the "kernel" file inside the zip), no?

fjl307

Jun 26, 2007
Great set of directions (sarcasm)
I think I got the multitouch.zip to install using CWM. How do I know it's working though? There seems to be plenty of ghosting still occuring everywhere else. Does this only work in certain apps?

mali100

Jun 3, 2007

Use this update-zip http://code.google.com/p/nst-recovery/downloads/detail?name=stock_kernel_1_1_2.zip

its labeled 1.1.2 but the kernel is the same as 1.1

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

I think I got the multitouch.zip to install using CWM. How do I know it's working though? There seems to be plenty of ghosting still occuring everywhere else. Does this only work in certain apps?
The multitouch.zip installs only multitouch kernel and permissions, it doesn't change anything regarding screen refresh.

Khiven

Jan 22, 2011
What pdf viewer are you using? I have tried to launch a pdf from a fileexplorer but it always open it with the default nook pdf reader which seems not to be the same you used in the video since it does not support multitouch, zoom or whatever

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Ezpdf does it! Try it. Quite cool.

BTW, congrats for the person that informed that using a double finger on screen would release a locked nook (in my case, on screensaver)! It worked perfectly!

Paburin

Apr 16, 2012
I've readed several news about the multitouch functionality, but i don't understand how to install it... I have my nook rooted with Clockwork, i've downloaded the multitouch posted by mali100 and installed, do i need anything else? like the norefresh app? (i can't install it with clockwork, the instalation is aborted) i try installing the multitouch.zip and using ezpdf app and nothing happen... i don't know what to do... it's seems like the biggest pdf reading experience ever! i wanna try it! :(

Sorry for my english, i'm a spanish speaker.

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Paburin,

After you install it via CWmod, it was supposed to work right away. I opened google maps and it worked, same with ezpdf.
After you ran CWmod, did you choose to install the zip? After that, everything is done. NoRefresh app is a plus, but it is not necessary right now.

Paburin

Apr 16, 2012
So i supposed to be in the right way, installing the multitouch.zip by CWmod, but it doesn't work, i try it with ezpdf and web explorer, i've make it twice, when the first time not work, i've formated the nook, now i don't know if i need to format again and make the same operation, or a missing one. :confused:

anikol

Feb 24, 2011
could you explain

Ezpdf does it! Try it. Quite cool.

BTW, congrats for the person that informed that using a double finger on screen would release a locked nook (in my case, on screensaver)! It worked perfectly!
What is a double finger on locked nook? Could you point me to the explanation?

anikol

Feb 24, 2011
but what does it do?

Two fingers. Kind of like scrolling on an iMac, or zooming on an iPhone/normal Andriod device.
I am asking what kind of functionality you get from two finger scroll, with respect to this multitouch mod?

---------- Post added at 07:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

I finally see the problem!

Sometimes u may see the nook with no respond.
To solve it, try to drag with two fingers, then this usually solves the problem.

It mainly because there may exist "ghosting" touching if the previous touch didn't provide "finger leave" event.
Drag with two fingers would clear all the cached information. Try with this next time~
I found this response, it is about clearing possible lock up through ghosting.

zholy

Sep 13, 2011
What you get that it will "unblock" the screen from screen saver, because...sometimes you will find out that using only one finger want unlock the screen. It somehow waits for the second reading/finger to unlock it.

Sent from my MB526 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nook Simple Touch -> Nook Multi Touch [Screensaver Locking Issue Explanation Added]

After long discussion on how to enable multitouch
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1361296

Finally we get something very exciting,
    mixing with the noRefresh app, thank to everyone developing this app
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1502723

==Exciting Videos==
    AngryBird: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chy0MGorjmo
    Excellent PDF Reading: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDk8a0leP4U

======For User======

For those who want a simple installation package
    Can use the following update-package made by mali100, thanks to mali100
    mali100 made an update-zip to install multitouch through CWM
    [NST][CWR][RC2] Clockworkmod based Recovery

For thise users want to install manually
    Can achieve Multi-touch by 2 Steps:

| Replacing Kernel:
    | -make sure you haven't changed it before, otherwise u have to combine the changes and compile a new one
    | -remember, a backup is a MUST
    | for firmware 1.1 users
    | Use Noogie or other methods, change the uImage with the attached one ( or the combined kernel mentioned below )
    | arkusuma teaches us how to change uImage using ADB here
    | *Thanks to arkusuma!
    |
    | Adding Permission node:
    | in "/etc/permissions/required_hardware.xml", add
    |
    Code:
    <feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen" />
    <feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch" />
    |
    | Reboot

For those users who also want to achieve USB host
    Can find the combined kernel here: ( Thanks mali100! )
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24180134

Known Issue:
    Sometimes the nook would act like un-responsive when it is in screensaver.
    To solve it, try to drag the screen with two fingers.
    The reason for this is, a cache is added between hardware input and linux subsystem, if the driver missed one of the "finger up" event before, it would result it leaving a phantom finger touching in your next touch. The screen cannot unlock by 2 fingers. But when you drag the screen with 2 fingers. It will clear all the cache, so as to erase the phantom touching.

======For Developer======

It is done by editing the kernel + adding permission node

*Thanks to arkusuma, who improved the code, added a cache for touching data, which prevents the pervious "un-stable" situation from happening

Kernel: just replace zforce.c, then compile
    Two main changes on zforce,
    first one is process_touch_event ( report touch information ),
    second one is zforce_probe, this one just added a few input_set_abs_params ( register for device capability )
    http://github.com/arkusuma/nook-touch-multitouch

Permission node: in "/etc/permissions/required_hardware.xml", add
    Code:
    <feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen" />
    <feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch" />

Thanks to arkusuma for improving the code again ! ;)
    Does anybody know how to flash a kernel image without using Noogie (using CWM, for example)?

If you can do ADB into your nook (i.e. using adbWireless):

adb connect <nook-ip-address>
    adb push uImage /media
    adb shell

mkdir /media/boot
    mount -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /media/boot
    cp /media/uImage /media/boot
    umount /media/boot
    rmdir /media/boot
    rm /media/uImage
    Hi, I've made some adjustment of wheilitjohnny's source. It seems to be working properly now, even when there's no finger movement. Changes can be viewed at github:

github.com/arkusuma/nook-touch-multitouch

I'm attaching the resulting uImage for those interested.
    I made an update-zip to install multitouch through CWM. It includes the kernel from this thread and adds the permissions for multitouch.
    Have anybody such kernel for nook with Glow 1.1.5?

All my 1.1.5 kernels (http://code.google.com/p/nst-recovery/downloads/list) have the Glow-Light driver included. You should use uImage1_1_5_multitouch if you just want multitouch, or uImage_mt_usbhost_nopowercheck_115.zip if you also want usb-host-capability (this one may drain your battery).