[MOD] CyanogenMod 11 on Verizon S4 in GSM mode (AT&T/T-Mobile)

Search This thread

linuxthinker

Aug 3, 2010
CM11 is great, but the libraries it's got appears to be heavily targeted toward CDMA mode and less so GSM. If you're a traveler or want to use your device with AT&T/T-Mobile, you'll want to install this patch which loads the AT&T ril onto your device. Without it, I couldn't receive any incoming calls and calls I placed couldn't be hung up (I would be stuck at the "hanging up" screen).

This patch is just two files (libril-qc-qmi-1.so and libril.so) pulled from the AT&T version (jflteatt) of CM11 (specifically, this version: https://download.cyanogenmod.org/get/jenkins/53825/cm-11-20140104-SNAPSHOT-M2-jflteatt.zip).

I'm overseas right now, so I'm only able to test GSM mode, but it's working just fine for me now. If it's not enough for you, you might want to try the two other changes suggested here: https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/CYAN-2362

To summarize, they are:
  • Set telephony.lteOnCdmaDevice=0 in /system/build.prop
  • loki_flash the jflteatt CWM with jfltevzw aboot - see here. Note that this is specific to MDK, so don't do this if you're on any other bootloader. Let me know if you want me to create a flashable version of this possible fix.

I didn't need to do either of these things to get it working for me, but you may need to do the first item if you want LTE (I'm currently in a country without LTE, so I can't test).

Flash this for GSM-optimized rils: View attachment jfltevzw-gsm-0.2.zip
Flash this to revert to CDMA-optimized rils: View attachment jfltevzw-cdma-0.2.zip

Last edited:

mbastats

Oct 22, 2013
Dallas, TX
Are these the updated files?

CM11 is great, but the libraries it's got appears to be heavily targeted toward CDMA mode and less so GSM. If you're a traveler or want to use your device with AT&T/T-Mobile, you'll want to install this patch which loads the AT&T ril onto your device. Without it, I couldn't receive any incoming calls and calls I placed couldn't be hung up (I would be stuck at the "hanging up" screen).

This patch is just two files (libril-qc-qmi-1.so and libril.so) pulled from the AT&T version (jflteatt) of CM11 (specifically, this version: https://download.cyanogenmod.org/get/jenkins/53825/cm-11-20140104-SNAPSHOT-M2-jflteatt.zip).

I'm overseas right now, so I'm only able to test GSM mode, but it's working just fine for me now. If it's not enough for you, you might want to try the two other changes suggested here: https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/CYAN-2362

To summarize, they are:
  • loki_flash the jflteatt CWM with jfltevzw aboot - see here. Note that this is specific to MDK, so don't do this if you're on any other bootloader. Let me know if you want me to create a flashable version of this possible fix.

I didn't need to do either of these things to get it working for me, but you may need to do the first item if you want LTE (I'm currently in a country without LTE, so I can't test).

Flash this for GSM-optimized rils: (removed - broken)
Flash this to revert to CDMA-optimized rils: (removed - broken)

I see above that the flashable zip files were removed due to being broken. Are the ones attached good now? Also, these are AT&T files so will they work the same way with T-Mobile service since its fixing the issue with GSM and is not carrier specific?

If so, I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks!

linuxthinker

Aug 3, 2010
I see above that the flashable zip files were removed due to being broken. Are the ones attached good now? Also, these are AT&T files so will they work the same way with T-Mobile service since its fixing the issue with GSM and is not carrier specific?

If so, I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks!

No. Attached files are no-good; I've now removed them. I made a mistake in building the packages that'll likely brick your phone. I quickly removed the links while trying to fix my own device but forgot to remove the attachments. I'll repost when it's working properly.

mbastats

Oct 22, 2013
Dallas, TX
No. Attached files are no-good; I've now removed them. I made a mistake in building the packages that'll likely brick your phone. I quickly removed the links while trying to fix my own device but forgot to remove the attachments. I'll repost when it's working properly.

Glad I didn't trust the files! I noticed that someone else in the same cyanogenmod ticket thread recommended an update to a line as a fix. On my mobile, or I would post a link. Thanks for trying to find a fix though!

linuxthinker

Aug 3, 2010
Glad I didn't trust the files! I noticed that someone else in the same cyanogenmod ticket thread recommended an update to a line as a fix. On my mobile, or I would post a link. Thanks for trying to find a fix though!

I just tried the fix in the CM thread - stuck in a segfault loop :(

Now that I've unbricked myself, I've updated the zip packages and they should be usable now.

Lesson learned: mount partitions by name whenever possible! I'm lucky I didn't blow away anything that I couldn't recover from. I was just unlucky that it was a partition not normally included in odin reset tars.

mbastats

Oct 22, 2013
Dallas, TX
Recap of how to

I just tried the fix in the CM thread - stuck in a segfault loop :(

Now that I've unbricked myself, I've updated the zip packages and they should be usable now.

Lesson learned: mount partitions by name whenever possible! I'm lucky I didn't blow away anything that I couldn't recover from. I was just unlucky that it was a partition not normally included in odin reset tars.

So to recap how this is done, please correct me or agree.

If someone was installing CM 11 for the first time, they would:

1) Download the CM rom.
2) Download the GAPPS they prefer.
3) Download your 2 zip files for GSM ril provided in this thread.
4) Flash into recovery (assuming they had a custom recovery in place already)
5) Wipe data/cache/dalvik
6) Flash ROM, Gapps, and the 2 GSM ril zips you provided. (I prefer to flash Gapps after the first boot)
7) Reboot and watch it boot up.
8) Calls should work (assuming the correct apn settings are in place)

Agree?

linuxthinker

Aug 3, 2010
So to recap how this is done, please correct me or agree.

If someone was installing CM 11 for the first time, they would:

1) Download the CM rom.
2) Download the GAPPS they prefer.
3) Download your 2 zip files for GSM ril provided in this thread.
4) Flash into recovery (assuming they had a custom recovery in place already)
5) Wipe data/cache/dalvik
6) Flash ROM, Gapps, and the 2 GSM ril zips you provided. (I prefer to flash Gapps after the first boot)
7) Reboot and watch it boot up.
8) Calls should work (assuming the correct apn settings are in place)

Agree?

Almost!

(2) is optional and can be done later. There's no dependency here.
For (3), you only need the GSM flash package. The cdma package is provided if you want to revert.
For (4), a custom recovery is a given, since CM can't be flashed on the vzw s4 without it :)
For (6), flash only the GSM package.
For (8), calls should work even if APN settings are broken.

The two things to test for is:
1. After you've placed a call and are connected to the other party (i.e. the call timer starts ticking), you can successfully hang up.
2. You can receive an incoming call.

And to answer the carrier specificity question -- I'm testing this with Taiwan Mobile, so it's most definitely not carrier specific. :)

Last edited:

canaanp

Feb 11, 2009
I guess this would have to be re-flashed after each nightly update that is applied?

canaanp

Feb 11, 2009
I just tested with a fresh install of the 2/5 nightly. I wanna have your baby. Works perfectly, thank you!

mbastats

Oct 22, 2013
Dallas, TX
It worked!

You have solved a problem that so many people were having. It works!!! Thank you for contributing. Now I'm going to spend time manually packaging a ROM with this and the apps and features I want.

Thank you!!!

Alttwo

Jan 8, 2012
Thank you. I'm using my Verizon s4 on T-Mobile and you saved me the trouble of doing this manually every time

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

aindfan

Nov 9, 2008
With the latest comment on the linked Jira thread (and a correct APN), I think that I have an AT&T SIM working in my Verizon S4 without this mod. Does anyone else have this experience? (I should note that I flashed the GSM zip from OP three days ago, but I have since wiped, installed Hyperdrive ROM, wiped again, and reinstalled CM11 without flashing the GSM zip.)

noobnl said:
add this line to your cdma ril ro.telephony.ril.v3=newDriverCallU

To clarify, here's what I did:

1. Wipe data and cache.
2. Install latest CM11 nightly and gapps.
3. Boot and confirm that everything is working.
4. Add the letter "U" to the build.prop line that said "ro.telephony.ril.v3=newDriverCall" by default.
5. Reboot and confirm that Verizon LTE still works.
6. Power off, insert AT&T SIM, power on.
7. Choose LTE/WCDMA/GSM in Mobile Network settings and select a working APN.
8. Get H or H+ icon in signal bars and use speed test to confirm the blazing fast 0.10M down, 0.13M up.
9. Place call to my Verizon number, check voicemail, and hang up normally (I didn't get stuck at "hanging up").
10. Place test call from Skype to AT&T number, pick it up on the S4, and hang up from the S4 normally.

Thanks!

Reactions: linuxthinker

linuxthinker

Aug 3, 2010
With the latest comment on the linked Jira thread (and a correct APN), I think that I have an AT&T SIM working in my Verizon S4 without this mod. Does anyone else have this experience? (I should note that I flashed the GSM zip from OP three days ago, but I have since wiped, installed Hyperdrive ROM, wiped again, and reinstalled CM11 without flashing the GSM zip.)!

Are you running CM11 nightly or the snapshot?

FWIW, I tried "ro.telephony.ril.v3=newDriverCallU,newDialCode" from this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50036251&postcount=1591 and it caused a segfault loop on bootup.

Given all the issues getting CM11 working well, I'm probably going back to stock MDK 4.2.2; it's still less bug-prone than CM11 is :(

arlissnd

Mar 11, 2013
I am very grateful for this! I searched and searched for days for a way to fix my dialer not letting me hang up a call after switching to Straight Talk AT&T. Now if I could only figure out how to get 4g LTE instead of just H+, I would do backflips! I appreciate your post immensely!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

linuxthinker

Aug 3, 2010
I am very grateful for this! I searched and searched for days for a way to fix my dialer not letting me hang up a call after switching to Straight Talk AT&T. Now if I could only figure out how to get 4g LTE instead of just H+, I would do backflips! I appreciate your post immensely!

Are you using the latest (MK2) radios? Those should get you LTE if AT&T has refarmed AWS LTE in your area.

Reactions: arlissnd

arlissnd

Mar 11, 2013
I will try flash mk2 right now. Thanks. I'll report back ASAP.

arlissnd

Mar 11, 2013
Did you use the vruemk2 or the other one? I just did that one, but it was not the non-hlos. I read that you should only flash the non-hlos modem that matches your boot loader. I'm on mdk boot loader.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

To summarize, they are:

Flash this for GSM-optimized rils: View attachment jfltevzw-gsm-0.2.zip
    Flash this to revert to CDMA-optimized rils: View attachment jfltevzw-cdma-0.2.zip
    With the latest comment on the linked Jira thread (and a correct APN), I think that I have an AT&T SIM working in my Verizon S4 without this mod. Does anyone else have this experience? (I should note that I flashed the GSM zip from OP three days ago, but I have since wiped, installed Hyperdrive ROM, wiped again, and reinstalled CM11 without flashing the GSM zip.)

noobnl said:
    add this line to your cdma ril ro.telephony.ril.v3=newDriverCallU

To clarify, here's what I did:

1. Wipe data and cache.
    2. Install latest CM11 nightly and gapps.
    3. Boot and confirm that everything is working.
    4. Add the letter "U" to the build.prop line that said "ro.telephony.ril.v3=newDriverCall" by default.
    5. Reboot and confirm that Verizon LTE still works.
    6. Power off, insert AT&T SIM, power on.
    7. Choose LTE/WCDMA/GSM in Mobile Network settings and select a working APN.
    8. Get H or H+ icon in signal bars and use speed test to confirm the blazing fast 0.10M down, 0.13M up.
    9. Place call to my Verizon number, check voicemail, and hang up normally (I didn't get stuck at "hanging up").
    10. Place test call from Skype to AT&T number, pick it up on the S4, and hang up from the S4 normally.

Thanks!

Are you using the latest (MK2) radios? Those should get you LTE if AT&T has refarmed AWS LTE in your area.
    Did you use the vruemk2 or the other one? I just did that one, but it was not the non-hlos. I read that you should only flash the non-hlos modem that matches your boot loader. I'm on mdk boot loader.

My understanding (according to the main CM11 thread) is that rule only applies for stock. I used the MK2 non-hlos+modem.
    Did you get it from here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2487298

---------- Post added at 06:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 AM ----------

Are you on mdk boot loader? Would you possibly have a link to where you got it? I appreciate your help!

Yeah, I got it from that thread. I'm using the MK2 non-hlos + modem from there.