[Q] Frustrated, bricked - Hipstreet Titan-A

Search This thread

Jarod997

Jan 12, 2014
Hi

I've looked around the XDA Forums, and on various other forums. I have a Hipstreet Titan, I tried to root using the Tasselhof's Root package, and it went reasonably well until I selected the option (#3) to copy over the build.prop file. After that I get the Android logo every boot-up. Factory wipe I guess wiped - I don't really have any way to verify. I pushed a different build.prop on, but that didn't seem to take (or make any difference). For some reason my adb shell (whateverother parms) doesn't work. It returns "- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -". So I figure the OS has been toasted. (I didn't have this much trouble rooting my LG Eclypse. :p)

Now, I just need to find an original ROM, or some other slightly modded (rooted would be nice) ROM to get on to my device before I find out how far out my back door I can throw this thing. :( As this Hipstreet tablet is an off brand (really far off, but hey, I got it free), I haven't been able to find a ROM posted anywhere. Likely I just haven't looked in the right spot yet. Yes, I know, I should have backed up first - but I didn't. As soon as I get an OS working on this, I'll back it up - promise.

I've also tried "adb sideload system.img" using a system image file that comes with the Android ADT kit and the factory recovery mode. That appears to upload the file, reboot the device then report (on the windows terminal) "* failed to write data 'protocol fault (no status)' *". The device reboots into the recovery system screen.

So, if someone would be so kind as to point me to a rom file that will work on this device, it would be most appreciated.

PS this is the Titan rev A, when I got the device (second hand) the Google Play store functioned just fine. The person I got it from is not a techy, so I doubt they applied any root or update to it, so I'm guessing it came already set up.

Jarod997

Jan 12, 2014
Ok, let me rephrase simply.

Can someone with a working Hipstreet Titan, rooted or not, please send me, or post a link to their ROM?

I know people have this device, and it's quite reasonable to assume that not all of them are bricked, therefore this request is technically feasible. Further, with a number of people posting about this device in technical forums, I know people with technical knowledge own this device.

I would really hate to throw out an otherwise perfectly good tablet.

es0tericcha0s

May 6, 2010
mobilemojo5280.com
Hi

I've looked around the XDA Forums, and on various other forums. I have a Hipstreet Titan, I tried to root using the Tasselhof's Root package, and it went reasonably well until I selected the option (#3) to copy over the build.prop file. After that I get the Android logo every boot-up. Factory wipe I guess wiped - I don't really have any way to verify. I pushed a different build.prop on, but that didn't seem to take (or make any difference). For some reason my adb shell (whateverother parms) doesn't work. It returns "- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -". So I figure the OS has been toasted. (I didn't have this much trouble rooting my LG Eclypse. :p)

Now, I just need to find an original ROM, or some other slightly modded (rooted would be nice) ROM to get on to my device before I find out how far out my back door I can throw this thing. :( As this Hipstreet tablet is an off brand (really far off, but hey, I got it free), I haven't been able to find a ROM posted anywhere. Likely I just haven't looked in the right spot yet. Yes, I know, I should have backed up first - but I didn't. As soon as I get an OS working on this, I'll back it up - promise.

I've also tried "adb sideload system.img" using a system image file that comes with the Android ADT kit and the factory recovery mode. That appears to upload the file, reboot the device then report (on the windows terminal) "* failed to write data 'protocol fault (no status)' *". The device reboots into the recovery system screen.

So, if someone would be so kind as to point me to a rom file that will work on this device, it would be most appreciated.

PS this is the Titan rev A, when I got the device (second hand) the Google Play store functioned just fine. The person I got it from is not a techy, so I doubt they applied any root or update to it, so I'm guessing it came already set up.

It looks like they made a few different versions of the tablet and it matters also about how much storage as to which firmware you should try. The person here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...eet-titan-a13-7-inch-tab-firmware-needed.html was able to load the firmware from another device that was similar. There were some major issues, but better to get it running first and sort that out later I guess. But his link has a bunch of other a13 tablet firmwares. If that is the same as yours, possibly one of them will be enough to boot up.

Reactions: Jarod997

Jarod997

Jan 12, 2014
It looks like they made a few different versions of the tablet and it matters also about how much storage as to which firmware you should try. The person here: (link manually removed) was able to load the firmware from another device that was similar. There were some major issues, but better to get it running first and sort that out later I guess. But his link has a bunch of other a13 tablet firmwares. If that is the same as yours, possibly one of them will be enough to boot up.

Thanks for the help! I'll have a look at some of those. I'd really like to have a tablet back that doesn't have a 3.5" screen. ;)

So I managed to get LiveSuit 1.11 installed on Win 8-64, yes it IS doable. But, my problem is I can't get the tablet recognized. The Power+Vol boot takes it in to "recovery" mode, (so reports "adb devices") - does this keep it from being able to be used by LiveSuit?

"adb wait-for-device" hangs

In my Device Manager I have Android Device->Android ADB Interface, and Universal Serial Bus controllers->USB Device(VID_1f3a_PID_efe8) with a yellow exclamation.

I know I had "adb wait-for-device" passing fine at one point, but I don't remember what I had to do to get there. :p So much trouble for a free tablet.

Last edited:

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I have a Titan that I unfortunately tried to root using what would only work on the ICS model and it's the JB model. It bootloops on the Android boot sequence. I can adb into the tablet and browse it, and I can see in the logcat where it gives up and restarts.

I saw the post on that other forum about using the Tragidy firmware but that file at Dorkfiles now appears to be paywalled. If anyone has that or another compatible firmware already downloaded and would be able to share, that would be wonderful.

At this point the Titan in front of me may as well be a mini cutting board or a large coaster. Not that it matters much, as some store gave it out to my parents for free and we all own better devices. It's just that they don't own any Androids and I thought I could configure this one as an easy remote for them to push content from their media server to their Smart TV instead of using the TV's complicated interface.

Jarod997

Jan 12, 2014
I have a Titan that I unfortunately tried to root using what would only work on the ICS model and it's the JB model. It bootloops on the Android boot sequence. I can adb into the tablet and browse it, and I can see in the logcat where it gives up and restarts.

I saw the post on that other forum about using the Tragidy firmware but that file at Dorkfiles now appears to be paywalled. If anyone has that or another compatible firmware already downloaded and would be able to share, that would be wonderful.

At this point the Titan in front of me may as well be a mini cutting board or a large coaster. Not that it matters much, as some store gave it out to my parents for free and we all own better devices. It's just that they don't own any Androids and I thought I could configure this one as an easy remote for them to push content from their media server to their Smart TV instead of using the TV's complicated interface.

So I managed to get a system backup off of my father-in-law's Titan - just have to figure out how to get it on my brick. I'm having great difficulty trying to do a restore while in recovery mode. :p

Jarod997

Jan 12, 2014
The adb backup command doesn't back up the system files. Unless there's some other way to use it that I'm not aware of?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Aw crap, really? The cutting board a-la-iPad commercial is sounding like such a good idea at the moment.

On the good tablet I could get in the shell - "adb shell", and then "su", but then what? How do you copy all the files off the system through the USB onto the computer from the shell? For whatever reason (and I dislike ADB for this) I could not do "adb pull /* /destination-folder/*" - it kept saying that it was skipping a lot of files. Or otherwise if I was trying other variations on commands and parameters, adb would just spew its help page - never mind telling me what's wrong with the command I just entered.

Why, oh why, is it so hard to take a copy of a good working OS and put it on to another tablet?

But, make you a deal - help me get a good system image off this working tablet and I'll toss it to ya. ;)

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
If you can find the right mount points on the partition table got may be able to make a system dump using dd. But restoring it I have no idea since there's no custom recovery available for this tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi

It looks like they made a few different versions of the tablet and it matters also about how much storage as to which firmware you should try. The person here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...eet-titan-a13-7-inch-tab-firmware-needed.html was able to load the firmware from another device that was similar. There were some major issues, but better to get it running first and sort that out later I guess. But his link has a bunch of other a13 tablet firmwares. If that is the same as yours, possibly one of them will be enough to boot up.