New XDA Zest firmware

Search This thread

CassandraN

Mar 26, 2009
There's a new Zest firmware available for download from http://www.my-xda.com/. The filename is Xda_Zest Firmware Update_V7.7.0S.WWE20.00_M4.6.5.P7_V2.1.4 GBR20, which seems to be updates to most of the roms inside the zest. It's installing at the moment, and the upgrade interface on the phone is displaying "GalaxyMini5 Eboot (3.33.0). Since this appears to be a codename for the P565, I guess this is more evidence that the XDA Zest is simply an underclocked P565 and more evidence that P565 firmware may well work on it.

CassandraN

Mar 26, 2009
Warning, this firmware does not appear to contain the O2 menu software, or the free GPS software that comes with the phone (although maybe the latter can be re-installed from the SD card). Shame - I rather liked the O2 menu interface.

CassandraN

Mar 26, 2009
The only things I can see that I don't remember seeing before are a couple of new or updated control panel entries. Video calling is probably the really important one.

You seem to lose the RSS reader, the O2 auto settings, the O2 menu and the GPS s/w (although the latter was only a demo). I have no idea if using the SD card that came with the Zest will restore these, as I don't have it. (If the software is all on there somewhere, and someone could bung me a copy, I'd be really grateful.)

It does make me wonder how the P565 firmware compares. I understand it has a nice touch interface on it.

Last edited:

silid

Dec 3, 2006
Leicester
It seems odd that the new firmware would remove all the o2 specific bits. Great if you want to use it on another network I suppose, but I quite like the mobile shell or o2 menu.

The satnav software isn't on the sd card - only the maps.

The instructions say:
Please note that if you already have CoPilot satellite navigation software on your Xda, refer to the Xda Zest user manual before upgrading your device software.

I couldn't see anything of significance in the user manual.

CassandraN

Mar 26, 2009
Interesting. I actually have Tomtom for GPS on a different SD card, which is related to the reason I don't have the original SD card. Tomtom autoinstalls from the SD card, so I thought it might be that the O2 software installed itself from the SD card provided by O2. I guess that if it's only maps on the SD card then that's not the case, and the new firmware does strip out all the O2 extras, which seems like a peculiar decision to say the least.

Still, it did get me to try the new SPB mobile shell 3, which is what the O2 menu is based on, but nicer. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the $35 for just a flashy finger driven interface. The weird thing is, it actually might be.

blackemnc

Oct 28, 2008
I'm actually going to upgrade my firmware to new one which is currently available in O2 site. What I want to know is if upgrade mine to the latest what would be the changes I may seen... Is it worth upgrading by loosing all the software?

CassandraN

Mar 26, 2009
So far I've seen nothing to write home about. The only reason might be if you can't already make video calls and want to do so. (I never make them, so I have no idea whether or not they're supported in the original firmware.)

blackemnc

Oct 28, 2008
I just upgraded mine to new firm ware. It worked fine for me. I didn't lose any O2 extras inc O2 menu. It was Oki but haven't tried yet to make video calls.. I will install iGO8 and will uninstall the co-pilot.

SPB Mobile shell 3.0 Rocks working smoothly with my Omnia and Xda Zest:)

AderC

May 13, 2009
I've just updated, and I didn't lose any O2 extras either (including Copilot). I backed up the Program Files\Copilot folder on the device to my PC before updating, and copied it back over after the update and voila, I've still got my fully activated version of Copilot. It did still prompt for allowing it to connect to the net during the 14-day trial the first time I ran it, but the license screen confirms it's the full version.

aDe

CassandraN

Mar 26, 2009
I have a working theory that the autorun on my Tomtom SD card might have run in preference to some autorun that might otherwise have run the first time the OS booted. I could test this by re-installing the firmware, but it's kind of a pain to have to put all the data on again.

Having played around some more and browsed the Extended ROM on my device, this does appear to be what happened, as all the CAB files are present. Fortunately this is a bonus for me, since I'm not on O2, and most of these files are useless to me, and I can therefore just pick and choose the apps I'd like to install.

This might be useful to other Zest users - the hack to make the Extended ROM visible:

Use your favourite Registry Editor to make HKLM\System\StorageManager\Profiles\ONDisk2\FATFS\MountHidden set to 0 (default is 1)

You can then browse to \ASUS_ROM\ in Total Commander to view your Extended ROM partition. The ROM does not appear to be write protected, so you can now put all the packages *you* want re-installed on a hard reset in there. Neat.

agitate

Mar 21, 2006
Rainford
I contacted O2 support about this issue, and they replied saying that:

On occasions the O2 menu can drop off after a ROM upgrade, but this would usually be resolve by either hard resetting or running the upgrade again. The o2 menu is still installed on the new ROM.

I have now done this upgrade and have retained the 02 menu. The radio reception seems a bit better as I now get HSDPA at home, which I didn't previously, so the radio upgrade seems to be worth it.

mtcchef

Aug 2, 2008
Ramsgate, Kent
ringer

ive got the zest and am happy with it so far apart from the last 2 days i cannot hear it when i get a call everything else works ie.system sounds,core player etc but the actual phone wont ring it just vibrates ive reset it a million times and checked system settings etc but nothing so if anyone has any ideas i would be very grateful, also how do you know if you are getting hdspa or not is there a setting for it or something, cheers guys.

agitate

Mar 21, 2006
Rainford
The connectivity icon at the top right of the screen shows what communication protocol is being used by showing a symbol (usually just a single letter) in a solid square. The letters I have seen so far are:

• G - GPRS (2G)
  • E - EDGE
  • 3G - 3G (this is the odd one out with the two letters squashed together)
  • H - HSDPA
It's worth mentioning that on my train ride home I see all four protocols at different points, and the hand-off between them is very smooth.

mtcchef

Aug 2, 2008
Ramsgate, Kent
thanks for quick reply i will keep an eye on it, still no joy with my ringer though its very strange. never had a problem like it on my orbit. i will keep investigating ,also do you know if anyone will be coming up with a rom for zest as i miss manila 2d although mobile shell v3 is good.

agitate

Mar 21, 2006
Rainford
Have you checked:

Start->Settings->Sounds & Notifications

On the Notifications tab you can select the "Ring type", one possible choice of which is "Vibrate", which will make the phone only vibrate on incoming calls. Just guessing.

mtcchef

Aug 2, 2008
Ramsgate, Kent
yes ive tried all that it might be affected by software ive installed recently i will try unistalling them one by one and see if that helps, failing that il do a hard reset i guess, anyone know how to hard reset the zest? thanks for your help.

agitate

Mar 21, 2006
Rainford
There is a contortional key sequence for this, but you can also reset it by going to:

Start->Settings->System Tab->Default Settings

mtcchef

Aug 2, 2008
Ramsgate, Kent
cheers managed to sort it , i installed mini lyrics software and ticked all in associating files which for some reason stopped the phone from ringing
thanks for your help.

ItstheWolf

May 24, 2009
Failure of firmware upgrade

Ive just had a power failure whilst upgrading the firmware on my new xda Zest and all it it shows when turning on is "OS Update failed! Please update again". :mad::mad::mad: Is there anything i can about this or will it need to be returned to O2. Any suggestions. thanx