[MOD] Galaxy Grand Screen Resolution Upgrade [Updated: 08.28.14]

Search This thread
UPDATED: Matched the resolution of the Galaxy S5

I was given at work a Galaxy S4 and love how great it's screen is. So I started to look into replicating the screen resolution of our Grand to match the S4. I was amazed on how much better it can be. I did see a thread in here in which using a list of apps and hacks it can be done, but I have found a simple app and launcher that can serve as a simple 1 - 2 process.

I will briefly state what I have done and the results and as time progresses (due to my lack of spare time) I will post pics and a more thorough guide.

attachment.php

This is the configuration Samsung should have used on our devices! The quality is crisp, resembles more that Galaxy Note series in which more info is available on our screens.

REQUEST: I will be looking into Modding the Google Experience Launcher in order to fix icon problems. But I also have a temporary solution for that. I remember seeing some apk's of different Google Launcher with screen resolutions around, but I cant find them now. If you know a fix, please chime in.

THIS MOD IS FOR ROOTED DEVICES, I'm currently running this mod on COSMIC CM 4.4.4

- The first thing you will need is a simple app from the Play Store called texdroider_dpi. Once installed, set the 'New Dpi" to 220, 'Apply', then Reboot. Immediately see throught the user interface how things seems to fit our screens better, text is more easily read, and in my case, it might be a placebo effect, but things seem to even load better.

Download: texdroider Play Store

- Since the launcher is for mdpi devices, the icons on the Google Launcher will look a bit blurred and out of proportions. Since I havent taken the time to tweak for this, I went ahead and tried several launchers. Perhaps other will do, but for now I am using the ASUS ZenUI Launcher. It seems to keep the icons at proper resolutions

Download: ASUS ZenUI Launcher xda_hasher

UPDATE: I am testing different launchers, ranging from the Yahoo! Aviate to a Galaxy S5 launcher.

Now the Galaxy Grand will have the resolution of the Galaxy S5. Enjoy.
I promise to better the thread in a matter of hours and days, but in the mean time, give it a go.

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 5,771
Last edited:
nice piece of work....big difference...

I know! I wish i knew this from the past. I am now testing some new launchers, I like Yahoo! Aviate because if it's simplicity and how it creates a 'page' per activity (music, morning, work, etc), and several others like Everything Me (kinda complicated) which don't distort the icons.

I will update soon my findings.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using XDA Free mobile app

kaustubhalate

Nov 24, 2010
default browser dosent work

same here My default browser dosent work when i reduce the DPI to 220. any solutions?

My default browser dosent work when i reduce the DPI to 220. any solutions?

same here My default browser dosent work when i reduce the DPI to 220. any solutions?

Hello Guys, I'm using Chrome Beta, I keep my ROM as clean as possible, have you tried that? I'm running DPI @ 218.....will make a little update on what I have done. I have gotten my device to look and feel like an S5.

Good Luck,

-Paul

Reactions: hardik.meisheri

SVR

May 29, 2014
Rajahmundry

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATED: Matched the resolution of the Galaxy S5

I was given at work a Galaxy S4 and love how great it's screen is. So I started to look into replicating the screen resolution of our Grand to match the S4. I was amazed on how much better it can be. I did see a thread in here in which using a list of apps and hacks it can be done, but I have found a simple app and launcher that can serve as a simple 1 - 2 process.

I will briefly state what I have done and the results and as time progresses (due to my lack of spare time) I will post pics and a more thorough guide.

attachment.php

This is the configuration Samsung should have used on our devices! The quality is crisp, resembles more that Galaxy Note series in which more info is available on our screens.

REQUEST: I will be looking into Modding the Google Experience Launcher in order to fix icon problems. But I also have a temporary solution for that. I remember seeing some apk's of different Google Launcher with screen resolutions around, but I cant find them now. If you know a fix, please chime in.

THIS MOD IS FOR ROOTED DEVICES, I'm currently running this mod on COSMIC CM 4.4.4

- The first thing you will need is a simple app from the Play Store called texdroider_dpi. Once installed, set the 'New Dpi" to 220, 'Apply', then Reboot. Immediately see throught the user interface how things seems to fit our screens better, text is more easily read, and in my case, it might be a placebo effect, but things seem to even load better.

Download: texdroider Play Store

- Since the launcher is for mdpi devices, the icons on the Google Launcher will look a bit blurred and out of proportions. Since I havent taken the time to tweak for this, I went ahead and tried several launchers. Perhaps other will do, but for now I am using the ASUS ZenUI Launcher. It seems to keep the icons at proper resolutions

Download: ASUS ZenUI Launcher xda_hasher

UPDATE: I am testing different launchers, ranging from the Yahoo! Aviate to a Galaxy S5 launcher.

Now the Galaxy Grand will have the resolution of the Galaxy S5. Enjoy.
    I promise to better the thread in a matter of hours and days, but in the mean time, give it a go.
    220 DPI suits grand more than 180 and 240.
    My default browser dosent work when i reduce the DPI to 220. any solutions?

Hello Guys, I'm using Chrome Beta, I keep my ROM as clean as possible, have you tried that? I'm running DPI @ 218.....will make a little update on what I have done. I have gotten my device to look and feel like an S5.

Good Luck,

-Paul
    My DPI - 180 always.. Seems perfect. See my screenshot.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    does this work on cosmic cm only?? :confused:

It'll work on any KitKat ROM.