Cell standby: AOSP vs. Sense

Search This thread

morbidmrmartin

Jul 16, 2010
Lansing
Okay, I've been meaning to ask everyone about this for a while now. Has anyone noticed extremely high cell standby use in battery stats? The reason I ask is, when I am running a sense ROM it reads right around 5% usage. But when I am running any AOSP ROM, it usually between 35-40% and causes me to get really poor battery life. Has anyone else encountered this? Thanks for any info.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

THEindian

Nov 20, 2011
No, i have used both and havent really noticed anythiing like that. It may be just crappy cell signal, what roms were you comparing

morbidmrmartin

Jul 16, 2010
Lansing
I've flashed just about everything available for Mt4g except the ICS ROM's. I'm running team Inferno's arhd at the moment, but have in the recent past tried coredroid, tdj's sense ROM and a few others as well as cyanogenmod, MIUI, and some other AOSP roms too. I get great service in my area, and this has been an issue on all three mt4g's I've had.

jjbadd385

Jul 10, 2011
Laurens S.C.
I remember someone posting on here about sense or aosp roms, that you could open titanium backup and delete something called "Google Backup Transport" to help a lot of battery issue. I'm not sure if its related to what your problem is though..

Sent from my customized mt4g using XDA premium

Reactions: morbidmrmartin

morbidmrmartin

Jul 16, 2010
Lansing
Well, I removed the Google transport apk. Looks like I have the same problem with really high cell standby. I'll keep looking for fixes, but until then, I guess I'm running sense.

vietannamese

Sep 1, 2011
Look into getting BetteryBatteryStats (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1179809). This will help you figure out exactly which process is draining your battery, as it isn't always Google Transport.

Also, this is a long shot since you said you have this issue on all AOSP ROMs, but have you tried changing the kernel just to see if that makes a difference? I know each ROM comes with a different kernel, but maybe there's a combination of ROM + other kernel that will work for you, instead of the default. I know that was my issue at one point.

Ksunnyv1011

Dec 17, 2008
Boston
Okay, I've been meaning to ask everyone about this for a while now. Has anyone noticed extremely high cell standby use in battery stats? The reason I ask is, when I am running a sense ROM it reads right around 5% usage. But when I am running any AOSP ROM, it usually between 35-40% and causes me to get really poor battery life. Has anyone else encountered this? Thanks for any info.

On the AOSP Roms I always thought that it was normal for cell standby to be the highest battery drainer in the list because that's just how it was reported for some reason. I could never get the Display's battery drain to be higher than the cell standby. But either way I got the same battery life whether I used Sense or AOSP. The only difference was that AOSP just displayed the battery usage wrong.

aznprodgy

Dec 22, 2010
Columbus, GA
LG V20
LG G7 ThinQ
On the AOSP Roms I always thought that it was normal for cell standby to be the highest battery drainer in the list because that's just how it was reported for some reason. I could never get the Display's battery drain to be higher than the cell standby. But either way I got the same battery life whether I used Sense or AOSP. The only difference was that AOSP just displayed the battery usage wrong.

+1...I do receive better battery life on AOSP tho, unless I debloat Sense. But the cell standby is always high on AOSP

Last edited:

morbidmrmartin

Jul 16, 2010
Lansing
I've tried most kernels that are out there, and still have the issue. I thought at first that the readings might just be different in AOSP vs. Sense. I usually let the ROM settle in for a day or two to make sure, but cell standby is usually double what display is in battery stats. I can literally watch the battery get crushed. Average battery life is about 8 hours on any given AOSP ROM and close to 24 hours on sense roms. I just seems like it should be the other way around haha. I really appreciate all the help I've received from everyone! You're all great!

Ksunnyv1011

Dec 17, 2008
Boston
I've tried most kernels that are out there, and still have the issue. I thought at first that the readings might just be different in AOSP vs. Sense. I usually let the ROM settle in for a day or two to make sure, but cell standby is usually double what display is in battery stats. I can literally watch the battery get crushed. Average battery life is about 8 hours on any given AOSP ROM and close to 24 hours on sense roms. I just seems like it should be the other way around haha. I really appreciate all the help I've received from everyone! You're all great!

Hmm, well one thing is for sure when your on AOSP and your in a area with bad coverage the battery drains significantly trying to connect to T-Mobile. Have you tried putting on airplane mode in those situations? It's what I do when I'm in school because I have literally no service there.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA

morbidmrmartin

Jul 16, 2010
Lansing
That's the strange thing, I get great service in my area. Otherwise I would put the phone in airplane mode like you suggested.

morbidmrmartin

Jul 16, 2010
Lansing
I've got juice defender plus. It adds around an hour and a half of life. The problem is, it seems that most of the battery isn't used up by data being enabled, but the phone being connected for voice and text. I'm not willing to shut off all radios for extra battery life because what use is a phone that people can't call you on? :)

morbidmrmartin

Jul 16, 2010
Lansing
I'm not sure what I did different this time, but I installed cm7.2 and flashed tdjs kernel over it. After about a day, everything settled in and cell standby is now staying under 15% its really strange, I've run this combination before and had issues, but not this time! I'm not one to question a good thing:D thanks for all your help everyone!

Ksunnyv1011

Dec 17, 2008
Boston
I'm not sure what I did different this time, but I installed cm7.2 and flashed tdjs kernel over it. After about a day, everything settled in and cell standby is now staying under 15% its really strange, I've run this combination before and had issues, but not this time! I'm not one to question a good thing:D thanks for all your help everyone!

It's a miracle! Lol, congratulations!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I remember someone posting on here about sense or aosp roms, that you could open titanium backup and delete something called "Google Backup Transport" to help a lot of battery issue. I'm not sure if its related to what your problem is though..

Sent from my customized mt4g using XDA premium
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1532000

Sent from my Sense 4.0 Glacier using XDA Premium.
    Look into getting BetteryBatteryStats (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1179809). This will help you figure out exactly which process is draining your battery, as it isn't always Google Transport.

Also, this is a long shot since you said you have this issue on all AOSP ROMs, but have you tried changing the kernel just to see if that makes a difference? I know each ROM comes with a different kernel, but maybe there's a combination of ROM + other kernel that will work for you, instead of the default. I know that was my issue at one point.

Hmm, well one thing is for sure when your on AOSP and your in a area with bad coverage the battery drains significantly trying to connect to T-Mobile. Have you tried putting on airplane mode in those situations? It's what I do when I'm in school because I have literally no service there.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA