Bionic Lapdock works!

Search This thread

cbalde04

Aug 14, 2009
As an owner of the Bionic Lapdock, and a Droid 4, I must partially disagree.

The Droid 4 does not fit snugly. It does work, but it does not sit flat, and cannot be used with the OEM case. You have to remove the shell case to use the docking mechanism (unlike the bionic).

It is, however, a minor inconvenience for such an awesome accessory. Also, those that use webtop 3.0 beta (from the leak) will find the controlls are not the same on the docks for as they were for the linux based version of webtop.

I still wish there was a tablet-like dock similar to the Asus PadFone.

gdeeble

Oct 8, 2011
Anyone got pictures of this? I would love to see, as I'm tinkering with the idea of getting one if I can see how it looks. :)

gnoitall

Jan 24, 2011
Omaha, NE
Haha. These things get huge awfully fast with those cases.

My brother has a Razrmaxx with an Otterbox on it and it's the size of a VCR.
Well, I use a kickstand case/holster combo and yeah, it's not petite, but I'm 6'7" (2m for your Euro types) and 300 lbs (> 135 kg, > 21 stone for you English traditionalists) and it's not outsized in my hand or on my belt. :D

So, yeah, some of us use cases.

TBH, the Bionic lapdock not being case-friendly isn't the crippling liability. The real seal-the-deal disqualifier is the fact that the Bionic lapdock's touchpad is not multitouch.

(Is this the part where someone goes "Who uses the touchpad?" ?) :rolleyes:

I think the appropriate Slashdot meme is "In South Korea, only old people use the touchpad."

Rick#2

Mar 15, 2009
St. Albert
I have an Otterbox on my Droid 4 and after some minor modification, my phone fits like a glove in the lapdock at the back without having to take the case off.

(I actually have the Atrix lapdock but they are essentially identical. Actually, I think the Atrix dock is about $20-$30 cheaper, at least where I am; I got it brand new from bensoutlet.com for $60 shipped.)

First, I used a razor to trim off the annoying silicon flap from the Otterbox that covers the USB and HDMI ports.

I removed the cover for the docking interface and slightly bored out the two holes for the USB and HDMI male ends before reversing them so that the phone will mount properly. In order to make them reach out far enough to dock the phone on with the case still on it, I wedged a few slices of a white gum eraser that I cut to fit behind the cable ends so that they stick out about 3/4 of an inch; plenty of room now to slide the phone on while it is in the Otterbox and the newly extended jacks are super solid without any wiggle room at all. It actually feels sturdier than it did before when mounting it without a case on as I find that the bulk of the case helps to fill out the platform the phone docks on.

Now that the two male ends of the USB and HDMI connections stick out slightly further than they used to, I had to get creative in order for the flip-down docking pad to properly close. Took me 5 more minutes to Dremel out two small openings that would allow for the dock to shut, and now it works perfectly.

It's true that the touchpad isn't multitouch, but I use a Bluetooth mouse 99% of the time anyways so it doesn't really impact how much I love this thing. For $60, you can't go wrong!

I'll post some pictures of it shortly, I'm out now and don't have it handy. I'm pretty amazed at how easy it was to do, and it doesn't look like a hack-job at all.

jmagi

Dec 13, 2012
What are you talking about? It fits 100% snug doesn't move at all. And who uses cases anyway?

i got to say here that i originally loved the natural appearance of the D4, so to protect it i got a rubberized matte black shell for it. now it looks like a weapon with the stealth black finish.

Sent from my DROID4

harecurtis

Apr 28, 2011
I just bought the bionic lapdock on ebay (new)

and I dont own the bionic....just the droid 4

so I hope it works, if not either time to mod or return.

ill let everyone know and with pictures

harecurtis

Apr 28, 2011
Works great!
I recommend everyone snatch one up before we all upgrade to something else
They go for $50 brand new on ebay

Attachments

• 20130207_134409.jpg
    20130207_134409.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 417
  • 20130207_134355.jpg
    20130207_134355.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 412

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What are you talking about? It fits 100% snug doesn't move at all. And who uses cases anyway?