[Q] Unable to write to sd card

Search This thread

cmdauria

Oct 18, 2008
Tampa
I think I have seen this addressed somewhere before but I can not find it.

I have just updated to KitKat and am using Freeza's Stockish rom. When I try to run a restore in Mybackup, I am getting an error that says, Unable to write to sd card. Make sure the sd card is inserted properly, is not connected to your pc, and is not full.

When I go into Es file explorer, it shows all the files there.
How do I fix this?

I also see in Titanium backup that is says sd card not writable.

I GOT IT!!!

Last edited:

tonyevo52

Feb 1, 2013
I think I have seen this addressed somewhere before but I can not find it.

I have just updated to KitKat and am using Freeza's Stockish rom. When I try to run a restore in Mybackup, I am getting an error that says, Unable to write to sd card. Make sure the sd card is inserted properly, is not connected to your pc, and is not full.

When I go into Es file explorer, it shows all the files there.
How do I fix this?

I also see in Titanium backup that is says sd card not writable.

I GOT IT!!!
Did you figure this out? Having the same problem.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

mjs2011

May 25, 2011
I'm curious to know if there's a workaround for those who aren't rooted.

cmdauria

Oct 18, 2008
Tampa
Did you figure this out? Having the same problem.

This seems to be a common problem on the deodex rom. I will post what I did to fix it. Just know when you go into a file explorer it is going to show 2 external sd cards. They are both the same, it just shows 2 now. You have to do a simple build prop edit with a program like root explorer. Just navigate to system/etc/permissions/platform.xml. long press on platform.xml and select open in text editor. Under WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE...Add this entry... <group gid="media_rw" />

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda premium

tonyevo52

Feb 1, 2013
Yea, I tried @micmars xml edit, it worked to create folders on the SD card but I still couldn't save twrp files to my SD card in recovery.

caesar_

Dec 31, 2010
I'm having this issue as well on official 4.4.2 rooted. Can't copy files from internal to external in both root Explorer and es file manager.

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app

caesar_

Dec 31, 2010
I get the error when initially trying to copy the files.. seems like the error rests with the internal storage and not the sd card.

Sent from my SM-N900P using xda app-developers app

Kennedy808

Jun 9, 2010
I'm also on Freza's Stockish ROM and had the same problem. I can confirm that the platform.xml edit appears to fix the problem of not being able to write to the external SD.

But strangely, Titanium Backup still reports that the backup folder is not-writeable, but then when I run a backup it finishes successfully.

DreamingWolf

Oct 25, 2009
In my cerebral cortex
I'm also on Freza's Stockish ROM and had the same problem. I can confirm that the platform.xml edit appears to fix the problem of not being able to write to the external SD.

But strangely, Titanium Backup still reports that the backup folder is not-writeable, but then when I run a backup it finishes successfully.

Same thing happened to me. I went into recovery, cleared cache and dalvik, and rebooted. Everything showed up properly then.