[Q] How to create/install a custom Splash Screen?

Search This thread

aikon96

Sep 24, 2010
Hi there, yes I know, there are some threads about this, but nothing special about our HTC LEGEND...

Somebody tried to install a custom splash-screen?
Or somebody created a custom-splash screen for HTC Legend?

I´ve found a tool for G1, that creates a splash-screen, but I don´t know if it works on my Legend... Don´t wanna brick it

TheGrammarFreak

Jul 29, 2010
twitter.com
Get the image you want. It needs to be 320 pixels wide and 480 high. Save it out as a 24 bit bmp file called splash1 (ms paint does the job). Any name will do, but for the sake of this guide we'll use that.

Download this tool and extract it into a known directory. Put the bmp you created earlier in there. Open cmd (if you're on windows) and cd into that directory (cd C:\nbimg for example) then run this command:
Code:
nbimg -F splash1.bmp -w 320 -h 480
Take the output file and change the extension to .img

To install:
Reboot your phone to fastboot mode
Code:
fastboot flash splash1 C:\nbimg\splash1.img

Last edited:
Reactions: jinxul and aikon96

BlaY0

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 15, 2007
Medvode
A tool without command line functionality doesn't deserve to be called a tool ;)

Sent from my HTC Legend

Torkiliuz

Jul 7, 2010
Linux users…

For those of you who use Linux:

1.: Download View attachment splash1script.zip, and extract it somewhere convenient.

2.: Create an image in GIMP with the dimensions 320x480. (You may also use an image from the web, and resize it to 320x480 in GIMP.)

3.: In GIMP go to "Save As…" (or press "CTRL+SHIFT+s").

4.: Browse to where you extracted the script.

5.: Click "Select File Type (By Extension)".

6.: Scroll down and select "Windows BMP image".

7:: Name the file "splash1" (without ""), for your own convenience.

8.: Click "Advanced Options".

9.: Choose "24 Bits" - "R8 G8 B8".

10.: Click "Save".

11.: Open a "Terminal" (Either with "Applications>Accessories>Terminal" or with "CTRL+ALT+t").

12.: "cd" to the folder where you extracted the script and saved your image. (For example: "cd ~/Downloads".)

13.: Write "./splash1script splash1.bmp".

14.: Follow the instructions in "Terminal".

15.: Done.

-Torkiliuz

tzuhsunchou

Jan 4, 2011
It's show the "Device not allowed" when I flash the splash1. I chenck the /proc/mtd, There is no partition of splash1. How can I flash it?

Ravrahn

Jun 7, 2010
Sydney
I can't get it to flash - it isn't finding my device when it's in fastboot, only when it's in recovery mode, or just on.

I've flashed AlphaRev and it created the .raw65 image successfully, but my device isn't recognised by the script, nor by the adb, when it's in fastboot mode.

Even booting into recovery, starting an adb shell, and using 'reboot bootloader' just disconnects the device. I have no idea how to fix it.

I'm using the linux tool on Ubuntu btw, and I've definitely flashed to the bootloader before (can't remember what, though)

lokety

Dec 31, 2010
Auckland
www.lokety.com
Get the image you want. It needs to be 320 pixels wide and 480 high. Save it out as a 24 bit bmp file called splash1 (ms paint does the job). Any name will do, but for the sake of this guide we'll use that.

Download this tool and extract it into a known directory. Put the bmp you created earlier in there. Open cmd (if you're on windows) and cd into that directory (cd C:\nbimg for example) then run this command:
Code:

To install:
Code:

Hi TheGrammarFreak

I tried the fastboot command on my HTC Legend with HBOOT HTC dev unlocked recently, but I just get this:

Code:
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash splash1 splash1.img
sending 'splash1' (300 KB)...
OKAY [  0.126s]
writing 'splash1'...
(bootloader) signature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 0.239s

Any suggestions?

mph_aut

Dec 6, 2010
didn't work for me either - probably the htcdev unlock didn't include s-off for splash1?!

QUBiCA

Jan 15, 2011
/dev/urandom
HTC One X
HTC One (M8)
The HTC bootloader unlcock method sucks. It allows nothing except writing direcrly to the system. It even checks for signatures when using fastboot from the Android SDK. At least I get signature error when trying to flash a .img file thru fastboot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:

To install:
    Code:
    TheGrammarFreak created one from my bootanimation, see HERE
    As for myself I have no idea howto ;)