[RECOVERY][EC09]Clockwork Mod Recovery

Search This thread

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
I fixed recovery for the Continuum users so that you have your own button mappings. It isn't integrated into the kernel yet, but I'm going to attempt to get that fully working (I have it partially working atm). Until that is fixed, you get the update.zip method for CWM. So, to accomplish this, you'll need to download two things. First, you need the update.zip file, which is placed on the root of the SDCard (/sdcard/update.zip) and the second item is the recovery kernel, which is flashed via Odin (v1.3). It is now integrated into the kernel and it has been updated to the EC09 kernel. This package will flash both recovery and kernel (so you don't loose CWM when the system boots). Note that if you are still on DL17, you should use the archive packages below. What you will need is this file, and you will want to flash it via Odin (or extract it and use Heimdall).

Open Odin, click the PDA button and browse to and select the continuum_recovery.tar.md5 I400_CWM.tar.md5 file that you downloaded. Remove the battery from your phone, and hold down the volume down button while plugging in the USB cable that is attached to your computer. Make sure you have the drivers installed, if not, you'll need to install them before you continue. Flash the file by clicking start if the phone is detected in Odin. Once it completes successfully, all you need to do is boot to recovery and apply sdcard/update.zip and you'll be in CWM. I decided upon black background with cyan text. This can still be changed if you wish, but I like it :p

Here are your button mappings:
Camera button/Grip sensor - Select Item (applies to cwm and stock recovery)
Volume Up/Down - Scroll up/down in the list (applies to cwm and stock recovery)
Power Button - Select Item
Menu Button - Does nothing
Home Button - Go Back
Back Button - Go Back
Search Button - Hide Text

I'm still trying to figure out how to get buttons to show up for the touchkeys. For now, they're blank, so just press in the approximate location on the screen for them. We may or may not be able to get buttons there at some point. Also, when you initially boot to recovery, there will be a message about update.zip being gone. Ignore the message as it seems to be a bug. As long as you copied the update.zip from this thread to your SDCard, you should be fine. Enjoy.

If you like my work, feel free to donate to me. Alternatively, sign up for Dropbox via my referral link ;) Also, remember that none of this would really be possible without the generosity of DroidXcon, so you could donate to him as well.

Archive said:

Last edited:

imnuts

Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
I'm going to update the update.zip soon then as well to the latest CWM 3.x that we have for the Fascinate as well. Then, maybe look into replacing stock recovery again and hoping it works this time. :)

Reactions: trailblazer101

lincoln3823

Nov 9, 2008
im having major problems well maybe not major but i installed cwn but after i rebooted and tried to install a softkey update.zip i lost my cwm and every thing i try to do i cant get cwm back

lincoln3823

Nov 9, 2008
I do and I get the discolored screen then it send me to the stock recovery and when I try to install the update.zip it says update.zip not found when I know it's there

Sent from my Rooted Space Time Continuum w/h a 2600mAh battery

circa881

Apr 25, 2011
East Wenatchee
Mine says the update isn't found either but it still works for me. I dunno about the discolored screen. I'm sorry :/

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA Premium App

lincoln3823

Nov 9, 2008
i figured out what i was doing wrong i renamed the file to update.zip when i should have left it at just update lol oh well you live and you learn

ntien

Apr 17, 2011
Noob question. Is the recovery kernel were supposed to download along with the update.zip an actual kernel?

Sent from my SCH-I400 using XDA App

ntien

Apr 17, 2011
And what exactly is the difference between this CWM and the original CWM?

imnuts

Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
Noob question. Is the recovery kernel were supposed to download along with the update.zip an actual kernel?

You need to flash the recovery kernel via Odin, and it is an actual kernel. The update.zip is a fakeflash recovery. It basically kills the currently running recovery and starts up CWM recovery in its place.

And what exactly is the difference between this CWM and the original CWM?

The difference is that this recovery has the correct button mapping, where the update.zip that Adrynalyne posted was using the Fascinate's button layout, so things didn't work as expected.

ntien

Apr 17, 2011
so i can't have both this version of the clockwork recovery mod and the peanutbutta jelly time kernel at the same time?

imnuts

Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
so i can't have both this version of the clockwork recovery mod and the peanutbutta jelly time kernel at the same time?

Yes you can. Recovery is a full kernel, it just boots using a different file and set of commands, and it doesn't start up the android system once booted and provides just a minimal environment. The recovery kernel and standard kernel lie on two separate partitions, and in actuality, this recovery kernel is the standard kernel as well.

imnuts

Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org
New CWM update.zip file. Like we did for the Fascinate about a month or so ago, I'm going to try to get everything moved over the CWM 3.x and Edify Scripting. Here is a new update.zip file to be able to use the most up-to-date version of CWM. I'll also try to keep this file updated as Koush and the rest of the CM team update CWM.

Instructions
1. Download me
2. Rename file to update.zip and put it on the root of your SD Card, overwriting the previous update.zip
3. Boot to recovery and apply update.zip

I may give replacing stock recovery entirely again another shot as well, eliminating the need for the update.zip entirely, but no promises. Also note that nandroid backups made with the previous update.zip file will not work with this version of CWM. If you like having the nandroid backup available, redo your backups so you have them for the new CWM.

Reactions: circa881

circa881

Apr 25, 2011
East Wenatchee
New CWM update.zip file. Like we did for the Fascinate about a month or so ago, I'm going to try to get everything moved over the CWM 3.x and Edify Scripting. Here is a new update.zip file to be able to use the most up-to-date version of CWM. I'll also try to keep this file updated as Koush and the rest of the CM team update CWM.

Instructions
1. Download me
2. Rename file to update.zip and put it on the root of your SD Card, overwriting the previous update.zip

I may give replacing stock recovery entirely again another shot as well, eliminating the need for the update.zip entirely, but no promises. Also note that nandroid backups made with the previous update.zip file will not work with this version of CWM. If you like having the nandroid backup available, redo your backups so you have them for the new CWM.

I guess I should read the whole thing before wondering why I can't restore an old backup with the new CWM

---------------------------------
Jill plays tricks, Jack plays God

ntien

Apr 17, 2011
Hey imnuts, every time I try to restore my phone with this clockwork, it screws up my phone saying it cant mount this stuff etc. it worked with regular recovery and old clockwork, but the new clockwork messes up my phone when I try and restore my phone. Im running the DL17 ROM (not the new edify one)

circa881

Apr 25, 2011
East Wenatchee
Hey imnuts, every time I try to restore my phone with this clockwork, it screws up my phone saying it cant mount this stuff etc. it worked with regular recovery and old clockwork, but the new clockwork messes up my phone when I try and restore my phone. Im running the DL17 ROM (not the new edify one)

...Did you not even see my post right above yours?

Reactions: Weudel

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I fixed recovery for the Continuum users so that you have your own button mappings. It isn't integrated into the kernel yet, but I'm going to attempt to get that fully working (I have it partially working atm). Until that is fixed, you get the update.zip method for CWM. So, to accomplish this, you'll need to download two things. First, you need the update.zip file, which is placed on the root of the SDCard (/sdcard/update.zip) and the second item is the recovery kernel, which is flashed via Odin (v1.3). It is now integrated into the kernel and it has been updated to the EC09 kernel. This package will flash both recovery and kernel (so you don't loose CWM when the system boots). Note that if you are still on DL17, you should use the archive packages below. What you will need is this file, and you will want to flash it via Odin (or extract it and use Heimdall).

Open Odin, click the PDA button and browse to and select the continuum_recovery.tar.md5 I400_CWM.tar.md5 file that you downloaded. Remove the battery from your phone, and hold down the volume down button while plugging in the USB cable that is attached to your computer. Make sure you have the drivers installed, if not, you'll need to install them before you continue. Flash the file by clicking start if the phone is detected in Odin. Once it completes successfully, all you need to do is boot to recovery and apply sdcard/update.zip and you'll be in CWM. I decided upon black background with cyan text. This can still be changed if you wish, but I like it :p

Here are your button mappings:
    Camera button/Grip sensor - Select Item (applies to cwm and stock recovery)
    Volume Up/Down - Scroll up/down in the list (applies to cwm and stock recovery)
    Power Button - Select Item
    Menu Button - Does nothing
    Home Button - Go Back
    Back Button - Go Back
    Search Button - Hide Text

I'm still trying to figure out how to get buttons to show up for the touchkeys. For now, they're blank, so just press in the approximate location on the screen for them. We may or may not be able to get buttons there at some point. Also, when you initially boot to recovery, there will be a message about update.zip being gone. Ignore the message as it seems to be a bug. As long as you copied the update.zip from this thread to your SDCard, you should be fine. Enjoy.

If you like my work, feel free to donate to me. Alternatively, sign up for Dropbox via my referral link ;) Also, remember that none of this would really be possible without the generosity of DroidXcon, so you could donate to him as well.

Archive said:
    I'm going to update the update.zip soon then as well to the latest CWM 3.x that we have for the Fascinate as well. Then, maybe look into replacing stock recovery again and hoping it works this time. :)

Instructions
    1. Download me

...Did you not even see my post right above yours?