[FIX]Proximity Sensor (In-call) issue

Search This thread

5pace

Nov 8, 2011
Do you have problems with your Proximity sensor? Phone doesn't turn on while in call or randomly reboots within a call? Well, it's entirely a hardware issue found in most of the C8 (August 2012) production batch of Nexus. Not sure what your production year and month is? It's found on the sticker put on the phone (under the battery), the fourth and fifth numbers / letters are your phone's production date. A thread covering stuff about production date can be found here.

I tested this on two C8 Nexus(es). I don't guarantee if it will work for you or not but it looks like it fixed the issue for me. The only downside of this fix is that you have to use power button in order to lock your screen while in call and after the call you have to unlock it manually (This isn't a big issue in front of this issue, right?). Oh and by the way, it works on Android JellyBean version 4.2 and is untested on previous versions of Android.

So let's start:

1. So for the first step, you have to root your phone and flash Clockworkmod recovery into your Galaxy Nexus.

(WARNING: Flashing recovery and rooting leads to loss of all the data placed in your sdcard, so make sure your backup beforehand because it's better than crying later)

2. Download this zip and place it in your phone's sdcard: http://www.mediafire.com/?ir6z384vutepdmu

(To revert you can flash this (PLEASE NOTE THIS IS Version 2 and please use this version to revert successfully previous version had some flaws in it): http://www.mediafire.com/?d4n1fx3cj446k1l)

3. Power off the phone, after that press Volume up + Volume down + Power button to go into bootloader mode.

4. After entering into bootloader mode press Volume up two times and "Recovery Mode" should come up, press power button and the phone will restart into Recovery mode.

5. Select "install zip from sdcard" then press "choose zip from sdcard" then "0" then tap on the "ProximityFix.zip" (which you downloaded in step 2) and in last press "Yes".

6. After flashing of the zip is done tap on the "+++Go back+++" and then "reboot system now".

Voila you have a proximity sensor that no more interferes into calls or anything else!

What I did?
Basically I just Hexedit'ed "sensors.tuna.so" found inside "/system/lib/hw/" and changed "proximity" to "proximits".

What it does?
The stock "sensors.tuna.so" gets replaced by the modded "sensors.tuna.so" in order to completely disable the proximity.

CREDITS:
A very good friend of mine (zurchpet) from IRC for making edify script changes for the above supplied zip.
Alexander T. for figuring out production date.

Thank you :)

Last edited:

orph

Aug 25, 2007
Nice idea, but your fix also removes other sensors as well, (all but sound) including screen rotation. Re-installed CM10, everything came back.

Do you have problems with your Proximity sensor? Phone doesn't turn on while in call or randomly reboots within a call? Well, it's entirely a hardware issue found in most of the C8 (August 2012) production batch of Nexus. Not sure what your production year and month is? It's found on the sticker put on the phone (under the battery), the fourth and fifth numbers / letters are your phone's production date. A thread covering stuff about production date can be found here.

I tested this on two C8 Nexus(es). I don't guarantee if it will work for you or not but it looks like it fixed the issue for me. The only downside of this fix is that you have to use power button in order to lock your screen while in call and after the call you have to unlock it manually (This isn't a big issue in front of this issue, right?). Oh and by the way, it works on Android JellyBean version 4.2 and is untested on previous versions of Android.

So let's start:

1. So for the first step, you have to root your phone and flash Clockworkmod recovery into your Galaxy Nexus.

(WARNING: Flashing recovery and rooting leads to loss of all the data placed in your sdcard, so make sure your backup beforehand because it's better than crying later)

2. Download this zip and place it in your phone's sdcard: http://www.mediafire.com/?ir6z384vutepdmu

(To revert you can flash this: http://www.mediafire.com/?muiza8fbwidq69d)

3. Power off the phone, after that press Volume up + Volume down + Power button to go into bootloader mode.

4. After entering into bootloader mode press Volume up two times and "Recovery Mode" should come up, press power button and the phone will restart into Recovery mode.

5. Select "install zip from sdcard" then press "choose zip from sdcard" then "0" then tap on the "ProximityFix.zip" (which you downloaded in step 2) and in last press "Yes".

6. After flashing of the zip is done tap on the "+++Go back+++" and then "reboot system now".

Voila you have a proximity sensor that no more interferes into calls or anything else!

What I did?
Basically I just Hexedit'ed "sensors.tuna.so" found inside "/system/lib/hw/" and changed "proximity" to "proximits".

What it does?
The stock "sensors.tuna.so" gets replaced by the modded "sensors.tuna.so" in order to completely disable the proximity.

CREDITS:
A very good friend of mine (zurchpet) from IRC for making edify script changes for the above supplied zip.

Reactions: HoetBlack

yuryvrn

Dec 10, 2012
Nice idea, but your fix also removes other sensors as well, (all but sound) including screen rotation. Re-installed CM10, everything came back.

I have a CA (Oct 2012) production batch of Nexus and have this issue too. It's just for statistics.
I also wish you would find some spare time to improve the realization of your idea by removing the proximity sensor only rather than other sensors as well.

5pace

Nov 8, 2011
I have a CA (Oct 2012) production batch of Nexus and have this issue too. It's just for statistics.
I also wish you would find some spare time to improve the realization of your idea by removing the proximity sensor only rather than other sensors as well.

It happens basically (to my knowledge) because of the custom ROMs you guys are on, sometimes contain files like "sensors.goldfish.so", which makes me wonder if it has any important role to play in disabling all of the sensors. You can tell me on which ROMs you are on and fetch "/system/lib/hw/sensors.tuna.so" and "/system/lib/hw/sensors.goldfish.so" and attach it here, I'll HexEdit those files and send it back over to you guys. :)

Last edited:

yuryvrn

Dec 10, 2012
It happens basically (to my knowledge) because of the custom ROMs you guys are on, sometimes contain files like "sensors.goldfish.so", which makes me wonder if it has any important role to play in disabling all of the sensors. You both can tell me on which ROMs you are on and fetch "/system/lib/hw/sensors.tuna.so" and "/system/lib/hw/sensors.goldfish.so" and attach it here, I'll HexEdit those files and send it back over to you guys. :)
I have the stock JOP40D, yakju, the phone is rooted. My sensors.tuna.so is attached. I am new to android, did I understand you correctly all I have to do is to replace the original sensors.tuna.so by the modified file you will send back? Or I need to apply your patch as described in the 1st post (since my ROM is stock)?

Attachments

• sensors.tuna.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:

PaXGeN

Dec 8, 2011
Bari
THX 5pace,
i have the annoying bug of 8C :crying:

Paranoid Android 2.99 beta8

- sensors.tuna.so
- sensors.goldfish.so

The fix is ok, the proximity sensor is disabled.

Attachments

• sensors.Paranoid.2.99-beta8.zip
    10.8 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Reactions: tonyterror

LKNim

Feb 16, 2011
THX 5pace,

- sensors.tuna.so
- sensors.goldfish.so

Is it compatible on other roms such as Xylon?
I got the same annoying problem

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Joe_6pak

Dec 27, 2012
NE Ohio
Proximity Sensor Blues!

It happens basically (to my knowledge) because of the custom ROMs you guys are on, sometimes contain files like "sensors.goldfish.so", which makes me wonder if it has any important role to play in disabling all of the sensors. You both can tell me on which ROMs you are on and fetch "/system/lib/hw/sensors.tuna.so" and "/system/lib/hw/sensors.goldfish.so" and attach it here, I'll HexEdit those files and send it back over to you guys. :)

I'm new to this forum, so bear with me. I've been having the Proximity Sensor Blues lately and am in need of a cure. I've got a Verizon GNex (rooted and unlocked) running JB Sourcery 4.0 (soon to be 4.1 unless you tell me different) with their most recent "stock" kernel. I've attached the two files you requested, but have not tried the fix yet.

Considering the ROM I'm running and the attached files, is it OK for me to try the fix? Should I try a different kernel? Does it matter if I have TWRP instead of CWM? Please help!

5pace

Nov 8, 2011
Sorry guys, I didn't have much time to reply this topic I had exams plus real life hassles to deal with, again I am sorry for the delay.

I've attached flashable zips files and appended your appropriate usernames with them, you can download and flash these files as per your usernames. If this still doesn't work (which means it still disables all the other sensors) you can try an app called Hardware Disabler, which you can get here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dware_Disabler

After installing it and scrolling down, you will eventually find a tab called gp2a (gp2a is the name of the proximity sensor's manufacturer) and there would be a check mark under it, which would be followed by text; 4-0044 (model number of the sensor), when you press the check, it will disable proximity sensor irrespective of the ROM / Kernel you're on! The only downside is that when you reboot your phone the app would come up with a screen and you have to tap Yes for it to disable your proximity sensor.

On a side note I knew about the app (even before making this mod), but I wanted my proximity sensor to be disabled without depending upon an app so I eventually came up with disabling it through lib file which was far more efficient. And these files aren't supposed to disable all the other sensors, using other ROM libs on another ROM will stop the functioning of other sensors, it's just because every ROM is unique in it's own way so these files require to be modded according to their respective ROMs source files. And yeah, again I do not guarantee this mod would work because after applying it to my Nexus, it still rebooted but the reboots were less occurring as compared to when the proximity was enabled.

P.S. I re-purchased Galaxy Nexus, the old one was a C8 (White color), and luckily the new one was a C2 (Black color) and it can do wonders in overclocking and undervolting. :p

Attachments

• yuryvrn_sensors.so.zip
    129 KB · Views: 77
  • PaXGeN_sensors.so.zip
    134.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Joe_6pak_sensors.so.zip
    133.1 KB · Views: 68
  • ProximityRevertV2.zip
    123.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Reactions: pafimal

bacekoko

Oct 13, 2010
Vratsa
On my Nexus C8 not work this trick with disabling the proximity sensor :(
I use Xylon ROM, with his kernel...

What alse i can try to resolve the problem?

5pace

Nov 8, 2011
On my Nexus C8 not work this trick with disabling the proximity sensor :(
I use Xylon ROM, with his kernel...

What alse i can try to resolve the problem?

You may want to try this:

If this still doesn't work (which means it still disables all the other sensors) you can try an app called Hardware Disabler, which you can get here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dware_Disabler

After installing it and scrolling down, you will eventually find a tab called gp2a (gp2a is the name of the proximity sensor's manufacturer) and there would be a check mark under it, which would be followed by text; 4-0044 (model number of the sensor), when you press the check, it will disable proximity sensor irrespective of the ROM / Kernel you're on! The only downside is that when you reboot your phone the app would come up with a screen and you have to tap Yes for it to disable your proximity sensor.

If it doesn't help in your case, then I am sorry as I am out of ideas. :(

Joe_6pak

Dec 27, 2012
NE Ohio
So far, so good. Got fed up with the PS on my phone and tried this today. The sensor is disabled as far as I can tell. THANKS!

zeroburn92

Mar 31, 2012
New Delhi
www.florisevents.in
All sensors are Off

Thakyou for this fix.
Not even a single call drop since i installed but none of the sensors are working.
I don't want any sensors but just the Camera so please if u can make it work I'll be very thankful.

Currently I'm on 4.1.1 JRO03C

I tried it on JDQ39 (4.2.2) it disabled only the proximity but calls were still dropping.
If possible then please make a fix to disable all sensors on 4.2.2 except camera and sound.

Thanx again.

daniozzo83

Mar 19, 2010
I've a gnex with installed custom rom( minco v5 4.1.2 )

I've tried your mod for proximity sensor fix and it worked but it disabled light sensor too. I've tried app on playstore but it does the same.

I really need to disable proximity sensor to get my phone working good, but i won't to disable light sensor. Can you help me?

thank's,

Daniele.

ryza666

Aug 13, 2011
My sensor PLS

Hi. I have the same screen problem as well. Would you prepare for me my sensor files for my device :) PLS.... I am on CM 10.1 M3 with leankernel 6.4

Last edited:

ryza666

Aug 13, 2011
Hi. I have the same screen problem as well. Would you prepare for me my sensor files for my device :) PLS.... I am on CM 10.1 M3 with leankernel 6.4

I've use PaXGeN's sensors modified by you 5pace and there are working on my CM 10.1 M3 ( on every kernel ). I think PaXGeN pack sensors will work on every single custom rom based on jb 4.2.2. My proximity sensor is disabled but everything else is working smooth. I've checked efficiency by Android Sensor Box. Thanks for this thread.

Reactions: 5pace

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

So let's start:

(To revert you can flash this (PLEASE NOTE THIS IS Version 2 and please use this version to revert successfully previous version had some flaws in it): http://www.mediafire.com/?d4n1fx3cj446k1l)

What I did?

What it does?

CREDITS:

I didn't even catch up with this thread (my apologies). The thing I've noticed on my previous Nexus was that, when I was on CM 10.0 everything was fine, no call drops or anything but as soon as I upgraded to CM 10.1, the things changed, I edited CM 10.1 sensors file for myself, it indeed disabled Proximity sensor but the calls were still dropping. Give me an hour or 2 and I'll catch up with you guys regarding these files, most probably it would need some testing, so backup your ROMs. :)

For the "sensors.goldfish.so"; it is a unique Cyanogenmod file, which is used for android emulator (so most probably it doesn't interfere with this issue). As most of the ROMs are based on Cyanogenmod so this file happens to be in every ROM. So, from now on we don't need "sensors.goldfish.so". :D

EDIT: It's an alpha version of the fix (completely removed proximity stuff). So guys, give it a go and provide feedback!

So let's start:

(To revert you can flash this: http://www.mediafire.com/?muiza8fbwidq69d)

What I did?

What it does?

CREDITS:

THX 5pace,

- sensors.tuna.so
    - sensors.goldfish.so

Sorry guys, I didn't have much time to reply this topic I had exams plus real life hassles to deal with, again I am sorry for the delay.

I've attached flashable zips files and appended your appropriate usernames with them, you can download and flash these files as per your usernames. If this still doesn't work (which means it still disables all the other sensors) you can try an app called Hardware Disabler, which you can get here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dware_Disabler

On a side note I knew about the app (even before making this mod), but I wanted my proximity sensor to be disabled without depending upon an app so I eventually came up with disabling it through lib file which was far more efficient. And these files aren't supposed to disable all the other sensors, using other ROM libs on another ROM will stop the functioning of other sensors, it's just because every ROM is unique in it's own way so these files require to be modded according to their respective ROMs source files. And yeah, again I do not guarantee this mod would work because after applying it to my Nexus, it still rebooted but the reboots were less occurring as compared to when the proximity was enabled.

P.S. I re-purchased Galaxy Nexus, the old one was a C8 (White color), and luckily the new one was a C2 (Black color) and it can do wonders in overclocking and undervolting. :p