Not Fair

Search This thread

roghitmanx47

Oct 7, 2012
The fact that"system memory* takes up 6GB when you first get the tablet is ridiculous. A 16GB tablet and you're already down to 10 straight out of the box.

Sent from my VK810 4G using xda app-developers

skay

Sep 30, 2004
Princeton. MA
The fact that"system memory* takes up 6GB when you first get the tablet is ridiculous. A 16GB tablet and you're already down to 10 straight out of the box.

Sent from my VK810 4G using xda app-developers

That's par for the course with JB + bloat that mfg's install these days. At least you can throw in a 64GB (possibly even the 128GB) microSD card and have plenty of storage for media and extra apps. Not sure if you flash one of the debloated/deodexed ROM's if you free up a lot more space in the 16GB memory?

Subtleone

Jul 10, 2011
Rio de Janeiro
That's par for the course with JB + bloat that mfg's install these days. At least you can throw in a 64GB (possibly even the 128GB) microSD card and have plenty of storage for media and extra apps. Not sure if you flash one of the debloated/deodexed ROM's if you free up a lot more space in the 16GB memory?

Agreed, it is pretty common. The bloat is not nearly as bad as thought, plus I think LG's apps are quite nice.

Video player - Certainly one of the best stock players I have seen, allowing many video formats, though I still use BS Player.
QRemote - is hands down the best of its kind.
Qtranslator - is a very impressive tool IMHO. You point the camera at a sign or text, it scans it, and will translate it into any language of your choice.
QVoice - the voice-activated personal assistant is fascinating though imperfect. Still, it understands commands such as "Wake me in 40 minutes", and will automatically set the alarm to ring for you. Of all the LG apps, it is the heaviest, requiring three files totaling roughly 150MB. Understandable nonetheless.
Video editor - Very practical, and very efficient.
LG weather widget - Frankly, I think this is the best weather/clock widget I have seen on any phone/tablet, better than HTC, Samsung or other. Not only is it very attractive with high resolution graphics, but if you go to landscape it instantly changes shape to show several days forecast. With the lock screen on, it will display the weather on your screen. For example, if it is raining, it will look like it is raining on the screen. A cool effect.

The other apps are quite standard, such as music player, memo, notebook, and a few others.

No doubt this all adds up, but not GB worth, and people would be far more critical of LG if new buyers found themselves missing these basic features. Still, if you hate this, feel free to go for one of the CyanogenMod ROMS, or the stock-modified LRS.

roghitmanx47

Oct 7, 2012
Well see I have the Verizon variant and there is still not a root for it yet. I have a 32GB SD card in it now but I would like to have more system memory too.

roghitmanx47

Oct 7, 2012
Because the more stuff that's on the internal memory the slower the tablet will perform? That's kind of a proven fact.

roghitmanx47

Oct 7, 2012
Seriously? You guys don't believe that if you have 10MB free of internal memory that the tablet or phone will perform slower? That's not a thought that's ever crossed your mind?

muiriddin

Feb 25, 2013
Mid-Atlantic
Seriously? You guys don't believe that if you have 10MB free of internal memory that the tablet or phone will perform slower? That's not a thought that's ever crossed your mind?

Limited Free space on the storage part of an android device typically only causes a performance impact if trim is not working on the device and therefore the remaining free space gets fragmented badly (typically no longer an issue), or if cache files can then not get created by the software that is trying to cache. This statement is assuming that the additional carrier bloatware can be disabled from always running in the background and hey, you are reading this on XDA which means we can typically root the device and use Titanium Backup (or similar tools) to freeze the bloat that wants to run in the background. Just having less storage space on a storage device which isn't fragmented and is using a modern file system which has sufficient remaining space for caching should have no impact on performance in practice...

Reactions: gasgiver

idaboes

Mar 25, 2014
There is root via kingo, just not recovery.

I am unable to get kingo to work on VK810, will not even recognize that my device is connected.
I am beyond frustrated trying to root this tablet. Any help would be appreciated. It also doesn't appear to be a driver related issue, as I've tried all drivers that other have recommended and worked for them.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Limited Free space on the storage part of an android device typically only causes a performance impact if trim is not working on the device and therefore the remaining free space gets fragmented badly (typically no longer an issue), or if cache files can then not get created by the software that is trying to cache. This statement is assuming that the additional carrier bloatware can be disabled from always running in the background and hey, you are reading this on XDA which means we can typically root the device and use Titanium Backup (or similar tools) to freeze the bloat that wants to run in the background. Just having less storage space on a storage device which isn't fragmented and is using a modern file system which has sufficient remaining space for caching should have no impact on performance in practice...