Scraped some paint on the Evo ;)

Search This thread

lookout4theyeti

Feb 7, 2009
I don't recommend doing this if you value your manufacturers warranty!

I also do not take credit for the idea, as I saw it on a post on another android forum (linked from the white evo with black battery cover thread in the evo accessory forum).

Either way, just wanted to post some decent quality pics of how well this can turn out. I actually took the pics with my dads evo :D

lookout4theyetiredtrime.jpg

lookout4theyetiredtrime.jpg

What I did was take the battery cover off, and mask over the holes of the phone (don't want any scraps getting into anything, this is a messy project).

Then take a sharp razor blade, and start scraping away at the paint. Don't try to cut into it, rather pull the blade along the edge of the phone.

Start at the bottom so you can get the hang of it (and its less noticeable if you mess up).

I took my time on this, took about 30-45 minutes but I got all the edges and corners perfect.

Be careful around the headphone jack, this was the hardest part for me.

Last edited:
G

gqstatus0685

So the plastic is naturally red?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

lookout4theyeti

Feb 7, 2009
Yep all the plastics on the phone are red. Just carefully drag a razor blade along the edges to get the paint off. Like I said, don't try to cut into it, it'll look like crap.

sitlet

Mar 30, 2008
Wow, yes that looks awesome. Makes you wonder why they dont make a completely red evo if the plastic is already red.

lookout4theyeti

Feb 7, 2009
Wow, yes that looks awesome. Makes you wonder why they dont make a completely red evo if the plastic is already red.

It was originally supposed to be, but verizon had claims on the red theme with their incredible, then changed the incredible at the last minute and the evo was stuck with the black facelift. Or something along those lines, don't know the exact story but I had asked about it at my sprint training and thats what I was told

Last edited:

turpis

Jul 30, 2009
Wow looks great!! Unfortunately I use a black silicone case. I may have to order a crystal silicone case just so I can see this mod.

sling

Aug 7, 2007
Va Beach / Hatteras NC
Looks great!
I think I'm going to take mine apart rub away paint using a solvent that way there's no chance of cut in or paint sliver getting into device.
The take apart getting back off is pretty easy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14d41PM8Bzk

Tamper proof sticker re-placement is no big deal did it all the time on my blackberry 9630,s & 9650

Last edited:

Jon

Jul 22, 2010
Connecticut
please post an image of how this turns out if you end up doing it!

Looks great!
I think I'm going to take mine apart rub away paint using a solvent that way there's no chance of cut in or paint sliver getting into device.
The take apart getting back off is pretty easy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14d41PM8Bzk

Tamper proof sticker re-placement is no big deal did it all the time on my blackberry 9630,s & 9650

labbu63

Dec 13, 2008
Ceres
looks amazing man but we all know how sprint is yellow right what if they matched it with the yellow and black