[Q] I "destroy"ed my Defy, hardware-style

Search This thread
Anyone can help me with this?
I received this Defy from a friend so that means no warranty here :/

I actually wanted to replace the faulty speakerphone of my Defy.

I proceeded to order a speakerphone piece for my Defy, then when it came it had free tools for use as well.

I then went ahead to take everything out, and replaced the speakerphone.

I then realised that the I lost the part near the LED (proximity sensor?) when I pressed the button on the speakerphone part to release it.

I thought nothing would go wrong, so I went ahead to place everything back, including the touchscreen.

But then I tried screwing the screws back again and realised they could no longer be screwed back into place. I took a closer look and saw that the screws themselves had been "circle"-fied from a hexagon shape, probably friction caused it.

Now I am stuck with a Defy that shorts the screen upon accepting a call (but the speakerphone works) and a thin strip in the touchscreen that doesn't work.

Any help?

Last edited:

hackergnome

Apr 21, 2011
Bengaluru
I see ur from Singapore...
its not a hard job finding a repair!!
I was on a tour and my phone broke while in Singapore... and they fixed it for really cheap!

Sent from my MB525 using xda premium

I see ur from Singapore...
its not a hard job finding a repair!!
I was on a tour and my phone broke while in Singapore... and they fixed it for really cheap!

Sent from my MB525 using xda premium

Yes.....but it depends on which part of Singapore you are at.....
I went to a nearby phone shop , ask for details and they're wanting to charge me SGD$90 for just the touchscreen

Deonix

Dec 13, 2009
Bucharest
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
about the screws

What i learned from mending and playing with electronic devices is that small screws as seen on a phone are easy to "circle"-fie or destory the thread/scroll. So don't press hard, and as in the video above try to unscrew it without moving the tip of the screwdriver in the screw. Just one turn can damage the screw for good.
Sometimes even if you do it correctly after several screws on/off it gets damaged.
But they are cheap. Saw a US site with phone parts and they had the Defy outer screws for a cheap price. I guess in a service they come even cheaper.

Good luck fixing it.

Reactions: CallMeVentus

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    go into some Repair service other than Motorola som non official People can Help,they have exeperience!
    yeah go to non official service center... who knows u might get unlocked boot loader...

Sent from my MB526 using xda premium
    about the screws

What i learned from mending and playing with electronic devices is that small screws as seen on a phone are easy to "circle"-fie or destory the thread/scroll. So don't press hard, and as in the video above try to unscrew it without moving the tip of the screwdriver in the screw. Just one turn can damage the screw for good.
    Sometimes even if you do it correctly after several screws on/off it gets damaged.
    But they are cheap. Saw a US site with phone parts and they had the Defy outer screws for a cheap price. I guess in a service they come even cheaper.

Good luck fixing it.