[Driver] Qualcomm S3 Adreno 220 GPU ICS Flashable Update {UnSigned}

Search This thread

gjcamp

Jan 26, 2007
This Adreno GPU update is ONLY designed to work on ARM7 Devices running ICS.

I have only tested this on my T-Mobile HTC Amaze and have not experienced any issues.

I have created this Recovery Flashable Patch to Install the Qualcomm Updated Adreno Drivers on the "Official Ruby ICS" release.

Qualcomm Developers Website

I did not get a screenshot of the results before flashing this, however I have seen dramatically improved result on my Quadrant 3D scores with "Force 2D GPU rendering" UNCHECKED in the Setting->Develop Options Menu of this ICS Release. With this option checked I have seen improvements on both 2D and 3D. Although results are slightly degraded for 3D from post update the 2D results have doubled in value.

Quadrant results were obtained immediately after restart to avoid any other processes interfering with the results.

AFTER "Adreno ICS Update" Screenshot 2D Rendering NOT checked.
attachment.php

AFTER "Adreno ICS Update" Screenshot 2D Rendering CHECKED.
attachment.php

If someone would post a screenshot of the before Quadrant result I would gladly add it to this post. Please only post results Immediately after restart for conformity.

Official RUBY_ICS_35_S_TMOUS_2.14.531.1_Radio_1.14.550L.17D C_30.78.550L.15_release Required (Thank you Football)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1615164&highlight=backup

Root Required: (Thank you electronicrice for Instructions)
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25227322&postcount=226

Thank you hasoon2000 for your great HTC Amaze 4G All-In-One Toolkit V3.0
xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1493905

1. Pre Requisites fulfilled (Root) (ICS)
  2. Install "Adreno ICS Update" to the root of your SD Card
  3. Toggle Signature Verification in Recovery
  4. Install zip via Recovery
  5. Fix Permissions
  6. Reboot
  7. ENJOI!!!
Thank you dhkr234 for the flashable zip framework.

Please post any other tested configurations and I will add them for other community members reference.

The usual warning goes here. I'm not responsible for what you do, or how you execute, use this at your own risk!

Last edited:

bangsters

Apr 5, 2010
Thanks.... ran quadrant. got 2527.

now will be installing your update and let you know.

EDIT:

quadrant score after installing the update is 2501...weird... will try again.

another run, it's up to 2771.

checked force gpu rendering, and now my score is 2999...whoa.... what exactly does that option do?? i thought that should be unchecked?

Last edited:
Reactions: gjcamp

gjcamp

Jan 26, 2007
Where did you get this?

Where did I get what? What are you referring to in your post? Please specify.

I thought I posted links to all references used for this flashable update I created.

If you are referring to the Official Adreno Drivers, you can find the binaries on the Qualcomm Developers Website.

I hope this answers your question.

Cheers,
gjcamp

bangsters

Apr 5, 2010
what exactly is the force gpu in the develop section for? I thought it has to be unchecked to use hardware acceleration? or is it the other way around?

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
Here's my screenshot for a "before" upgrading. I'm using ENERGY Rom so I'm not too sure if the value would be permissable.
44e0edf7-4771-80bd.jpg

Going to make a backup and flash your update and will report back.

Wait....I sent this with Tapatalk?

gjcamp

Jan 26, 2007

EDIT:

checked force gpu rendering, and now my score is 2999...whoa.... what exactly does that option do?? i thought that should be unchecked?

I believe this option enables the GPU to render 2D as well as 3D instead of relying on the SW 2D Rendering default in the settings of ICS. We seem to have a developer version of ICS giving us more options than were available in Gingerbread.

I am pleased to see that you have achieved better results than I have with 2D GPU Rendering enabled. I think I might try to enable this option again to see if my initial assesment was a fluke. ;)

Please post your complete configuration so other may benefit and maybe apply some other Tweaks you have implemented.

Thank you again bangsters for posting your result both before and after.

Cheers,
gjcamp

bangsters

Apr 5, 2010
I believe this option enables the GPU to render 2D as well as 3D instead of relying on the SW 2D Rendering default in the settings of ICS. We seem to have a developer version of ICS giving us more options than were available in Gingerbread.

I am pleased to see that you have achieved better results than I have with 2D GPU Rendering enabled. I think I might try to enable this option again to see if my initial assesment was a fluke. ;)

Please post your complete configuration so other may benefit and maybe apply some other Tweaks you have implemented.

Cheers,
gjcamp

yea if I leave it unchecked, my scores are generally lower than when I enable the option.

however, after installing your update, I haven't see any scores below 2500. before I installed your update, i constantly hit scores of 2000 to 2200. so I guess your update works. :)

and I'm using Android Revolution 2.2.1 if that helps as well.

thanks bud.
thanks again!

EDIT: PS: uhmm, how again do you take a snapshot of the screen, what buttons? power and vol down? nvm... got it lol

gjcamp

Jan 26, 2007
Here's my screenshot for a "before" upgrading. I'm using ENERGY Rom so I'm not too sure if the value would be permissable.
44e0edf7-4771-80bd.jpg

I am not sure from reading NRGZ28's changelog but my guess is that he may have already implemented this into his Custom ROM.

I would check on his ROM Thread to make that determination.

Cheers,
gjcamp

gjcamp

Jan 26, 2007
what exactly is the force gpu in the develop section for? I thought it has to be unchecked to use hardware acceleration? or is it the other way around?

It is the other way around. You have to check this option to enable 2D accelaration. 3D acceleration is already enabled by default.

GPU = Graphic Processing Unit

By checking option this you ask Android to use the HW for 2D graphics acceleration.

Cheers,
gjcamp

gjcamp

Jan 26, 2007
yea if I leave it unchecked, my scores are generally lower than when I enable the option.

however, after installing your update, I haven't see any scores below 2500. before I installed your update, i constantly hit scores of 2000 to 2200. so I guess your update works. :)

and I'm using Android Revolution 2.2.1 if that helps as well.

thanks bud.
thanks again!

EDIT: PS: uhmm, how again do you take a snapshot of the screen, what buttons? power and vol down? nvm... got it lol

Thank you sir for confirming posting your configuration and being one of the first to test.

If you look at your Quadrant Results on the bottom of the screen with the Enable 2D GPU rndering enable I see decreased results for 3D rendering but I do see increased results for the 2D rendering.

I have run several times and this is consistant.

If you are playing 3D games I would NOT enable this feature but for everyday use it seems to be OK since most of of the Android OS is in 2D.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
gjcamp

Last edited:

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
With the update the scores seemed to have dropped. I ran 3 after the update.
Here's the best score.
44e0edf7-5105-8228.jpg

gjcamp

Jan 26, 2007
With the update the scores seemed to have dropped. I ran 3 after the update.
Here's the best score.
44e0edf7-5105-8228.jpg

Like I said earlier NRGZ28 may have implemented a hacked Adreno driver or some other tweak.

This is for ROMS that do not have any drivers or hacked drivers implemented.

Cheers,
gjcamp

gjcamp

Jan 26, 2007
Hm, all new to me, and I'm on Energy ROM. But how do you use this? How do you even run a test? Sorry if these are annoying questions

Quadrant is a free benchmarking APP on the Google Play Store. This is where the screenshots are taken. This helps you to determine if there was any gain from this patch.

If you are using NRGZ28 ROM you probably will not see any improvement as stated in the previous post's.

Cheers,
gjcamp

Reactions: phanompin23

KnowledgeBroker

Sep 7, 2010
Daytona Beach, Fl
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Quadrant is a free benchmarking APP on the Google Play Store. This is where the screenshots are taken. This helps you to determine if there was any gain from this patch.

If you are using NRGZ28 ROM you probably will not see any improvement as stated in the previous post's.

Cheers,
gjcamp
I'm confused why anyone thinks the energy rom would have this included.. adreno not mentioned at all.
Android revolution HD mentioned some tweaks to adreno, but not drivers/software, just configs.
Here is with standard background processes under development options and force 2d unchecked
2012-05-02_14-13-14.png

Here is with limit of 4 background processes unchecked(this is the scores I typically get) and 2d box unchecked.
2012-05-02_14-07-57.png

If you compare the two, it seems like it mainly just made CPU perform better.

With 2d box checked both of the other configs went down to around 2100-2200.

EDIT: Just flashed the zip

Rather than post the screens here are links after flashing(best scores out of 4 tests each):
The next 2 are force 2d checked and had much improved 2d with slightly decreased 3d:

Conclusion:
Before flashing drivers:
2d ranged from 500-520 without when 2d was unchecked, and ranged from 550-600 with it checked(slight drop in 3d)
After flashing drivers
2d was just ranged 470-480 with it unchecked, but checked they ranged from 980-1000 for 2d(with the same slight drop in 3d)

Flashing drivers, with force 2d checked increased 2d performance much more while barely reducing 3d.

Last edited:

hyphydragon

Jul 12, 2011
Fairfield CA
it appears that many do not know this but quadrant is a TERRIBLE standard to use for a benchmark. run it 10 times and you will get 10 wildly different results half the time only one core will be detected and you can see this in the quadrant info menu and in the results, this is why you got 3k and 6k on cpu.

we need a new better benchmark to compare the difference

tgamble160

Jan 19, 2012
Tarentum
i hear alot of people say this but i disagree it is always very steady scores for me and when i'm getting higher scores i can definitly see the difference in my phones speed and smoothness. when i'm getting lower scores on different roms i can also feel the difference phone will be laggy.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Adreno GPU update is ONLY designed to work on ARM7 Devices running ICS.

I have only tested this on my T-Mobile HTC Amaze and have not experienced any issues.

I have created this Recovery Flashable Patch to Install the Qualcomm Updated Adreno Drivers on the "Official Ruby ICS" release.

Qualcomm Developers Website

I did not get a screenshot of the results before flashing this, however I have seen dramatically improved result on my Quadrant 3D scores with "Force 2D GPU rendering" UNCHECKED in the Setting->Develop Options Menu of this ICS Release. With this option checked I have seen improvements on both 2D and 3D. Although results are slightly degraded for 3D from post update the 2D results have doubled in value.

Quadrant results were obtained immediately after restart to avoid any other processes interfering with the results.

AFTER "Adreno ICS Update" Screenshot 2D Rendering NOT checked.
    attachment.php

AFTER "Adreno ICS Update" Screenshot 2D Rendering CHECKED.
    attachment.php

If someone would post a screenshot of the before Quadrant result I would gladly add it to this post. Please only post results Immediately after restart for conformity.

Official RUBY_ICS_35_S_TMOUS_2.14.531.1_Radio_1.14.550L.17D C_30.78.550L.15_release Required (Thank you Football)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1615164&highlight=backup

Root Required: (Thank you electronicrice for Instructions)
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=25227322&postcount=226

Thank you hasoon2000 for your great HTC Amaze 4G All-In-One Toolkit V3.0
    xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1493905

1. Pre Requisites fulfilled (Root) (ICS)
    2. Install "Adreno ICS Update" to the root of your SD Card
    3. Toggle Signature Verification in Recovery
    4. Install zip via Recovery
    5. Fix Permissions
    6. Reboot
    7. ENJOI!!!
    Thank you dhkr234 for the flashable zip framework.

Please post any other tested configurations and I will add them for other community members reference.

The usual warning goes here. I'm not responsible for what you do, or how you execute, use this at your own risk!
    Doesn't work for me. Running revolution Rom and made antutu go up to 6700 but quadrant is constant at 2400 . I use to score 4300 with xboaders 3.5 sense
    If you noticed he said to test with "Force 2d rendering checked" in the developer options(in system settings)-- then you will notice a difference. ALSO, this ONLY affects the 2d rating(and maybe 3d rating), so that is ALL you should be looking at - why would gpu updates matter to the processor, sdcard read/write, etc?
    Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using XDA

Even though It's supposed to already be on revolution it really doesn't seem like it I'm noticing the difference.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda premium
    It isn't already on Revolution, he has tweaked the SETTINGS for the old adreno drivers- this is a driver update, the actual software is updated- plus as said in the last reply- you have to force 2d rendering.. just look above.

I think im doing something wrong. I successfully flashed the update and my score remains the same.

Installed Energy rom
    Properly flashed the update
    Installed Quadrant.
    Reboot
    Started the test.

Pre-update:

After update:

Installed System Tuner pro and forced both cores,
    score was 2840
    As with the last two replies this ONLY affects the 2d/3d performance, the ONLY ratings that matter to an upgrade to video drivers is video.. and go into system settings, develop options, and click(check) force 2d rendering- then you will notice a difference.

I'm thinking people who read this thread don't realize that this is a VIDEO update(GPU=graphics processing unit) so the ONLY thing it is supposed to make better is the 2d/3d scores. Enable the setting as I said above and you will get double the 2d score that you got before- all 2d games will perform twice as smoothly..
    And someone asked about battery on the last page-- it shouldn't effect battery any more than before in theory, just performance.. either way it was released TODAY-- how would anyone know??

Sorry.. I get frustrated with noobyness.
    I've tried Vellamo and got no difference from using this drivers. Gonna check AnTuTu.
    Regarding Quardant, it can't control cores on this device, so it ran one or two core randomly, depending on was cpu1 online on test start or not. And that's how you get score from 2300 to 2900 on the same device. So, to get more or less objective results LOCK BOTH CORES ONLINE before running test.
    44e0edf7-4771-80bd.jpg

EDIT:

Cheers,
    gjcamp