Anyone else use it as a screen?

Search This thread

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
So one thing I was able to achieve recently was to set up the Nook as a screen mirror in a very simple fashion, thanks to folks at mobileread! I was wondering if anyone else uses their nooks as a screen?

Right now, I have two nooks set up such that each would mirror half of a laptop with the weird 1360x768 resolution. It's been great for reading academic journals because these PDFs are typically double columned.

Attachments

• IMG_20140520_172527.jpg
    IMG_20140520_172527.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
Could you provide some details how you achieved this? Or any keywords how to find it ?

This was achieved using a simple python script written by kranu @ Mobileread. Here's the link. The original script was only made for a single screen that captured a 800x600 image of your host screen at a 1:1 ratio. If you wanted and knew python, you could easily make it capture a 1600x1200 image and compress it to fit the Nook's 800x600 screen.

I would also love an explanation to that picture.
Is the nook getting the images via usb? Or wifi?
Are any special adapters needed?

The nook is getting screenshots from the host computer via WiFi. So literally no adapters needed. All you need is a browser on the nook and python installed on the host computer. So yes, this method will technically work from ANY e-ink screen with a browser, but ideally you want a browser that can go into "full screen" mode (no bars). There are few e-readers that have a 800mhz CPU that can be had for $30 or less. Hence why I think the nook is an ideal choice for doing this. You can have as many nooks as you want if you wanted to make a bigger screen.

There are other ways to achieve this, such as running a VNC viewer. But I opted for a simpler approach because I didn't intend to interact too much with the monitor, I simply needed it for reading.

Reactions: krzynier

jago25_98

Jul 17, 2007
Wow. Very nice.
Just to let people know, another approach is running VNC but the advantage of the screenshot thread here of course is that you can use more than 1 nook.

krzynier

Aug 23, 2013
This was achieved using a simple python script written by kranu @ Mobileread. The original script was only made for a single screen that captured a 800x600 image of your host screen at a 1:1 ratio. If you wanted and knew python, you could easily make it capture a 1600x1200 image and compress it to fit the Nook's 800x600 screen.

Just set the capture region to your monitor resolution
w,h=(1600,900) #width and height of capture region

and modify

image=wx.ImageFromBitmap(bitmap)
data=list(image.GetData())

to

image = image.Scale(600, 800, wx.IMAGE_QUALITY_HIGH)
image = image.Rotate90(True)

and then you have the monitor display scaled for nook screen size and rotated to landscape mode.

Big Kudos for kranu for the idea and script and for PoisonWolf to finding it :)

PoisonWolf

Feb 8, 2009
Just set the capture region to your monitor resolution
w,h=(1600,900) #width and height of capture region

and modify

to

image = image.Scale(600, 800, wx.IMAGE_QUALITY_HIGH)
image = image.Rotate90(True)

and then you have the monitor display scaled for nook screen size and rotated to landscape mode.

Big Kudos for kranu for the idea and script and for PoisonWolf to finding it :)

This is pretty awesome. I know little about python scripting. I think I'm going to use this to make a smaller capture region be scaled higher (make things appear larger).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So one thing I was able to achieve recently was to set up the Nook as a screen mirror in a very simple fashion, thanks to folks at mobileread! I was wondering if anyone else uses their nooks as a screen?

Right now, I have two nooks set up such that each would mirror half of a laptop with the weird 1360x768 resolution. It's been great for reading academic journals because these PDFs are typically double columned.
    Could you provide some details how you achieved this? Or any keywords how to find it ?

This was achieved using a simple python script written by kranu @ Mobileread. Here's the link. The original script was only made for a single screen that captured a 800x600 image of your host screen at a 1:1 ratio. If you wanted and knew python, you could easily make it capture a 1600x1200 image and compress it to fit the Nook's 800x600 screen.

I would also love an explanation to that picture.
    Is the nook getting the images via usb? Or wifi?
    Are any special adapters needed?

The nook is getting screenshots from the host computer via WiFi. So literally no adapters needed. All you need is a browser on the nook and python installed on the host computer. So yes, this method will technically work from ANY e-ink screen with a browser, but ideally you want a browser that can go into "full screen" mode (no bars). There are few e-readers that have a 800mhz CPU that can be had for $30 or less. Hence why I think the nook is an ideal choice for doing this. You can have as many nooks as you want if you wanted to make a bigger screen.

There are other ways to achieve this, such as running a VNC viewer. But I opted for a simpler approach because I didn't intend to interact too much with the monitor, I simply needed it for reading.