[Q] BTRFS+Compression+SSD optimization on folio

Search This thread

gingerboy92

May 7, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 4G
Xiaomi 12
would it be possible to change the filesystem from ext4 to btrfs with compression and ssd optimization.
i do have the knowledge about the possible of having more cpu overhead than the improvement in transfer speed.. but when it comes to space saving, i think it does worth it. i have been using btrfs compression on opensuse for quite a while. the space saving is amazing. with compression enabled, the space usage is half the normal size.
the only concern im having about getting this to be done is the kernel. does the kernel we are using support btrfs compression at the first place(mblaster?)? i do not have the technical knowledge of how to get this done. hope someone could turn this idea to a reality. :D

mblaster

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 2, 2007
...does the kernel we are using support btrfs compression at the first place(mblaster?)?

Nope, sorry. Btrfs is not in atm (could be changed for a test), but I don't know if compression would be supported. Also I am not convinced that compression would help a lot on the folio for two reasons: First the compression end uncompression both need cpu cycles, slowing down the system. And second the kind of files you typically have on such a device (mp3, videos etc.) are not really compressable. I doubt you would get more then a few percent more storage out of your device.

gingerboy92

May 7, 2011
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 4G
Xiaomi 12
ehem.. about the cpu cycle, lzo compression could reduce the cpu usage, but i don't know by how much, probably still wouldn't worth the gain too. i don't know. but even if it does gives a worthy gain, maybe there's too much work to be done, lzo needs kernel 2.6.38 kernel to work if i'm not mistaken. compression(if possible) could be applied to something like the boot partition? maybe it could improve boot time, just a maybe.
looks like i didn't consider everything before i speak. thanks mblaster. ^.^

m32

Jul 10, 2007
Szczecin
Nope, sorry. Btrfs is not in atm (could be changed for a test), but I don't know if compression would be supported. Also I am not convinced that compression would help a lot on the folio for two reasons: First the compression end uncompression both need cpu cycles, slowing down the system. And second the kind of files you typically have on such a device (mp3, videos etc.) are not really compressable. I doubt you would get more then a few percent more storage out of your device.

True, what is stored on storage ? Mp3, mp4? ~ all of them are mostly compressed, where other - mathematical/lossles compression wouldnt help - in most cases would it make worse

Palatis

ehem.. about the cpu cycle, lzo compression could reduce the cpu usage, but i don't know by how much, probably still wouldn't worth the gain too. i don't know. but even if it does gives a worthy gain, maybe there's too much work to be done, lzo needs kernel 2.6.38 kernel to work if i'm not mistaken. compression(if possible) could be applied to something like the boot partition? maybe it could improve boot time, just a maybe.
looks like i didn't consider everything before i speak. thanks mblaster. ^.^

compression is already applied on kernels.
usually you compile a kernel into bzImage, the "z" just means it's compressed.

modern linux kernels allow you to choose from gzip, bzip2, lzma, xz, lzo, lz4.
this includes ramdisk.

Miraxulix

Feb 1, 2010
If you need space, just use an sdcard or microusb or Mount a network share...

Gesendet von meinem folio100 mit Tapatalk