Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

nnnnr14

Apr 19, 2012
Lagrange
www.youtube.com
Re: [Modem / Basebands][1/20] - The two current modems available

My house is in a blow signal area. L4 radio constantly got me around 1-2 bars. JB got me 3-4 and, also when on the Internet I noticed my phone heated up quickly while on L4.

Scott

Retired Recognized Developer
My guess is he ment it was up and running. Perhaps if someone went to a low signal area every day they could compare the two radios? I'll check it out Tuesday, a few of my classes are in rooms with low signal.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Ah very well then!

My house is in a blow signal area. L4 radio constantly got me around 1-2 bars. JB got me 3-4 and, also when on the Internet I noticed my phone heated up quickly while on L4.

Interesting. If you get lower signal you will certianly drop battery and heat phone.

BUT... My question is... What ROM are you on? that will also affect the RIL for the radio.

Zacedward

Dec 20, 2012

So I take it probably don't flash L4 radio

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

Scott

So I take it probably don't flash L4 radio

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda premium

Someone told me that someone told them that they read somewhere...

That the new radio has been causing more issues for some people.

Got try it. If it doenst work for you then flash the stock one.

For me the jury is still out.

Lightyear25

Feb 3, 2011
Cincinnati
I think I will stick with the stock Radio for a while, do you see any issues with compatibility with new bases that may come in the near future?

Scott

I think I will stick with the stock Radio for a while, do you see any issues with compatibility with new bases that may come in the near future?

I dont see any new bases coming in the future so... No.

Verizon is so far behind on there Android build its kinda of sickening.

They spend too much R&D in how to screw us over on bootloaders instead of keeping software current.

Lightyear25

Feb 3, 2011
Cincinnati

They spend too much R&D in how to screw us over on bootloaders instead of keeping software current.

Isnt the ACE Rom built off of a International Build? if so then that may get updated faster than Verizon based?

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III

So I just tried the new modem in a very very low signal area (on my other phones can't even make calls). Anyways I set my phone in one position checked db flashed new modem and checked db again.

With the original modem I fluctuated between -91 and-104 with 1 asu. On the new modem I stayed locked at -95db and fluctuated between 1 and 2 asu. So I would say it is a steadier signal.

Having said this my phone was MUCH hotter when in use (I called the wife and had to take the phone away from my ear because it was to hot). Also my battery was just disappearing! So I decided to flash back to the original modem, but as always mileage varies with these so in your area the new one may be the better.

I'm wondering if there is some kind of rpm like the s3 had that we need. I remember having mismatched rpm and modem some people reported similar problems to what I noticed with the new modem.

Sent from my SCH-I605 (AKA NOTE 2)

Reactions: spyderman09

cam30era

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 20, 2010
Columbus, Indiana

I do see an improvement with L4 modem. Note that I am running the CleanRom Lite L4 ROM based off the ota.

Speciffics of improvement: in my office I typically see -102 dBm 4G signal. On the factory floor I would consistently loose 4G with the old modem. Now I pick up a 4G signal on about 1/2 of factory floor.

Previously on the old modem my phone was very reluctant to switch back to 4G when returning to my office. With L4 modem, switch back to 4G when leaving factory floor is nearly immediate.

TeeX2.0

Jul 4, 2011
I do see an improvement with L4 modem. Note that I am running the CleanRom Lite L4 ROM based off the ota.

Speciffics of improvement: in my office I typically see -102 dBm 4G signal. On the factory floor I would consistently loose 4G with the old modem. Now I pick up a 4G signal on about 1/2 of factory floor.

Previously on the old modem my phone was very reluctant to switch back to 4G when returning to my office. With L4 modem, switch back to 4G when leaving factory floor is nearly immediate.

hmm very interesting. thank you for your this.

Do you notice the phone getting warmer than it did on the previous modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is all I have for now...

Please make sure you check the MD5 sum of the modem before flashing it!
    A bad download with a modem is not like a bad download with a ROM! Things can go to hell real quick with a bad modem download!!!

• I605VRALJB - Stock release modem.
    • MD5: 46AFD12412A4C71BAA3383A35521F8B7

• I605VRAL4 - OTA 1/18 Modem
    • MD5: 084D1B4822284A7852163F101AFA94A1

• I605VRAC3 - OTA 5/3 Modem
    • MD5: 0B3A23234E3F721A1A81BF1DB5FA7A30

Download HERE
    MOD EDIT: Download link removed with OP's permission.

Hit Thanks! It doesnt cost a penny and goes a long way!

-Scott

What are these useful for? I was hoping one day we can flash any rom from all the Varients (well the LTE varients), then just flash the verizon radio and your good to go...........
    Actually, you can do that now. And my CleanROM ACE is proof of it.

Can you verify the MD5 because I am getting an extra digit here.

File: I605VRALL4 Modem.zip
    CRC-32: d2b34ef9
    MD4: 89701243c2d79518bca9c8e13cec219a
    MD5: 084d1b4822284a7852163f101afa94a1
    SHA-1: 004aec4abe89d7d2f3900a100fdcfaccf91e9c7a

dja2k

My bad... Copy and paste got me...

Correct MD5 for L4 is: 084D1B4822284A7852163F101AFA94A1
    I had bad battery drain too. If you post the new ril files I'll give it a run see if it makes a difference

Sent from my SCH-I605 (AKA NOTE 2)

Well, here are the matching RIL files for the L4 Radio...

Now... Make a nandroid back up before flashing...

This is for VZW stock TouwchWiz based ROMS only (CleanROM, Beanstown106 based ROMS, etc)! Any CM / PA / AOSP / ABC / XYZ / Etc... ROM will not work with these files.