Upgrade camera sensor

Search This thread

mwatson

Oct 16, 2007
Basingstoke
What's the chances of installing the camera sensor from a Desire 816 or an M8 ultra to get a 13mp camera rather than the 4mp? They obviously work with sense 6, but will they fit?

Let's say it, would you be tempted?

RAM_1994

Oct 1, 2011
What's the chances of installing the camera sensor from a Desire 816 or an M8 ultra to get a 13mp camera rather than the 4mp? They obviously work with sense 6, but will they fit?

Let's say it, would you be tempted?

Lol, why would you do that. HTC isn't stupid, they wouldn't put better camera in midranger than in flagship.

For my purpouses, camera is great. Night photos are the best. Daily are sometimes overexposed, but play a little with settings and they won't be. Pictures are good even on the monitor screen.

thebobmannh

May 22, 2012
Derry, NH
www.scrampf.com
I would say chances are less than zero. Even if it was the same ribbon cable pinout, there's no way it's the same physical footprint so it wouldn't fit, and the software would have no idea how to talk to it. You have a better chance of your phone sprouting legs.

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
lol.... ¬¬ are you serious? impossible

It was once said to be impossible to split an atom... I don't know if you've ever check out some of the homebrew electronics sites & forums, but I have seen more unbelievably amazing things than soldering a cmos onto a board. While it may be highly impractical, improbable even, few things are impossible.

eltoffer

Aug 17, 2012
Metepec
It was once said to be impossible to split an atom... I don't know if you've ever check out some of the homebrew electronics sites & forums, but I have seen more unbelievably amazing things than soldering a cmos onto a board. While it may be highly impractical, improbable even, few things are impossible.

If this guy is asking for that it is impossible (st least for him/her, also don't know why we would want a worse camera on this device, not impossible for HTC but for us :/ easy

Desde HTC One M8

thebobmannh

May 22, 2012
Derry, NH
www.scrampf.com

You could solder a Subaru onto the side of the phone too, it doesn't mean it can drive. There's more to these things than a little fun with a soldering iron.

Given enough time, ambition, and access to the full source of everything involved (kernel, drivers), I'm sure it's POSSIBLE. But no one is going to do it -- that's the part that has zero percent chance of happening. For that amount of effort and time just buy a different phone that suits you better, or wait a year.

ashyx

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 14, 2012
Crikey I'm not being funny but what's the big hang up with m8 camera, it's a phone for crying out loud? There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It takes perfectly good photos. Really if you need a top notch camera go and buy one that is designed for the job.

Reactions: EddyOS

wpghtc

Mar 5, 2010
It is still funny to me, how people think the bigger number is always better.
13 mediocre mega pixels vs 4 excellent mega pixels. I prefer a camera that can actually handle different lighting conditions like the M8. I had an S5 for 2 days before returning it. The camera wasn't that great. I prefer the M8 .

It is sad that ignorant people can stifle real innovation with such blind devotion to bigger numbers. That's why Samsung does so well, they keep hyping numbers in a cheap phone and people buy it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

crustyeye

Mar 27, 2014
It's not impossible I've done it! ! I've also constructed a rocket and lunar lander from egg boxes and managed to fly to the moon and spend the night there. Just got back to see this post! I'll post some pictures I took with the modified m8 in a while, they're absolutely cracking! If anyone else wants the mod done on there m8 off a trip to the moon send me a check for £500 and some solder oh and some egg boxes.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Crikey I'm not being funny but what's the big hang up with m8 camera, it's a phone for crying out loud? There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It takes perfectly good photos. Really if you need a top notch camera go and buy one that is designed for the job.