When WebOS

Search This thread

sado1

Feb 24, 2010
WebOS isn't yet open-sourced, HP just said it will do that. No sources are available as of now, and it's silly to ask when it'll be ported to HD2 if we even don't know when sources will be available. But, it might me easier to port than meego, as meego's most interesting version (from nokia n9) is closed-source, and opensource meego is, according to devs, not much usable.

neerajp

Mar 1, 2011
WebOS isn't yet open-sourced, HP just said it will do that. No sources are available as of now, and it's silly to ask when it'll be ported to HD2 if we even don't know when sources will be available. But, it might me easier to port than meego, as meego's most interesting version (from nokia n9) is closed-source, and opensource meego is, according to devs, not much usable.

Web OS is open source..
http://opensource.palm.com/packages.html

taknil

Jul 1, 2010
Berlin
Sorry for posting the question here. I thought , as nobody really looks at the meego board anymore, I should ask it here as the guys'n'gals that are into porting Ubuntu to the HD2 are a little more hardcore and thus apt to give an honest perspective on whether or not this could happen. I read on the Verge that someone had it running on the Evo 3D so maybe it isn't that far fetched.
As I have understood some of the UI/UX stuff is not open source yet.
We shall come back to this discussion when it's time for that.

DorkyDev

Aug 22, 2008
Atlanta
Google Pixel 6a
Bumping for interest and the sake of prosperity for our mighty HD2...

Face it Meego is going nowhere slow, if anywhere at all... With the announcements of nokia going to wp. Ubuntu is making very small but slow baby steps...

So why not stir up a craze that'd baffle the internet media once again with the viral power of what the HD2 can do?

It's been ported to many other HTC devices so why not our HD2? We can't just let it die with millions of android and wp builds and lack of interest in other projects such as linux and meego, so I only see one other hurdle to jump that being WebOS.

Spaqin

Oct 5, 2010
Well, we'd have to find someone, who could port it... If I wasn't a total failure when it comes to programming and stuff, maybe I could do it :x

The difference between Android and other OSes is Android is popular and it's rather easy to cook a ROM... But here, we'd have to work from scratch. And nobody wants that. Shame on you, community, shame!

DorkyDev

Aug 22, 2008
Atlanta
Google Pixel 6a
The only thing I see possibly coming next for the HD2 is WP8 (Maybe, if it's possible or at WP7.8) I rather hate WP and still love my huge variety of apps and customability with WM... I'm doing Win95 on it, Boxmax SD XDAndroid Sense and Ubuntu...

I don't see why or how it'd be so hard if so many other HTC's have it running already, get the closest build with matching spec's between the HTC HD2 and whatever HTC is remotely similar to our in hardware, edit it for Android maybe and change the drivers of the HTC (In question) to the HTC HD2 in code by similarity of Android builds for HD2. On a side note, I read that the HTC Evo 4G is the same phone as the HD2 on XDA, so if we could find a WebOS Build for that we'd be off to a good start. Then onto the debugging and next step is glory.

If I knew anything about coding and cooking I'd give it a whack, but I don't know much about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

panduola

Aug 1, 2012
Bumping for interest and the sake of prosperity for our mighty HD2...

Face it Meego is going nowhere slow, if anywhere at all... With the announcements of nokia going to wp. Ubuntu is making very small but slow baby steps...

So why not stir up a craze that'd baffle the internet media once again with the viral power of what the HD2 can do?

It's been ported to many other HTC devices so why not our HD2? We can't just let it die with millions of android and wp builds and lack of interest in other projects such as linux and meego, so I only see one other hurdle to jump that being WebOS.

DorkyDev

Aug 22, 2008
Atlanta
Google Pixel 6a
but why do we even need a webOS?

its btr we try something like win 8 and do the impossible :)
Windows 8 is Windows 7 and we did that already, we'd just be spinning our wheels or going backwards then instead of moving forward with bootable os'es.

If you want Windows 8 so bad on your HD2 hunt around for a 7.8 rom, closest you'll prolly get. Anyways you could get in a whole lot more trouble cooking an OS/Rom onto an unsupported phone that hasn't even been released yet to normal consumer users yet.

WebOS would be great those who aren't ready for Android or don't want it and those who don't like WP, but desire something other than WinMo 6.5.

Last edited by a moderator:

domenukk

Jan 11, 2010
WebOS is dead...
Still would love to see a new OS once in a while. +1 for WebOS, +1 for MeeGo, +1 for Firefox OS (or whatsisname)